Sunderland's former Jewish population: what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know my mate Hershey Tabashnik would go and stand still in the middle of the road if someone knocked his yamulke or kippah off. Stay there until someone got it for him. Don't know why. We were cruel back then. He got a hard time TBH. Kids are cruel growing up.
Which is basically what this lad did until I fetched it for him. He was ginger too...

i very recently saw a jewish family at seaham car boot, also seen a bloke (may have been the same) in ashbrooke recently, also one (again may have been the same) walking down ryhope road. Obviously in the traditional clothes you tend to notice and remember as its such a rare sight. this isn't intended as inappropriate banter in the slightest but the Jews are a business minded group and it stands to reason why they would seek opportunity in Manchester and London versus up here where there is little going on commercially by comparison Also I presume some strength in numbers as they will get less grief where they are less of a minority, or there are more minorities. I presume they had a slightly easier time of it than the muslims as if you were a secular jew (thanks for the info sadders) you will blend in a lot more, obviously 99% of muslims have brown skin so are an easier target for bellends.

Was there ever any jews in consett or Stanley George?

Quite possibly. There were synagogues in North and South Shields and Hartlepool. There were loads of small communities in small towns.

I think that more of an effort has been made over the last few years for both communities. I think 'passive co-existense' sums it up. I witnessed some awful bullying of Orthodox Jewish lads - and one time I stepped in when a lone lad had his yarmulke (is that right?) pinched - God knows what I would have done if it had gone any further. I also witnessed groups of Jewish girls regularly walking in the middle of Durham Road too - which is really busy. And this used to make bus and taxi drivers livid. Not to mention dangerous. Not sure if this still happens but it was weird to see.
Why ?

No one ever knew. But it was a daily occurrence - groups of 5-15 approx. If they couldn't cross all the way, they'd walk into the middle then just carry on walking down Durham Road. Year after year I witnessed this. As I say, it was weird and drivers used to get angry with them and beep at them. No effect whatsoever.
Well... Jewish I can forgive, but ginger?

A ginger jew. Their god surely tests the tribes of Israel.
First and last time I've seen a ginger Jewish lad.

Did they move to Gateshead? Thriving Jewish community there. I used to have problems with the older males as they used to come to the library wanting to hire rooms - and would get your truly. However they disliked dealing with women and always asked to speak to a male - which made for a few awkward meetings.
My old college lecturer told my class most went to Gateshead, and that was in 1989.

Books Fashions. Their lad Robbie liked a drink or two.

Sachs Chemists at the Police Box

Dr Gusaks lad Philip was a contemporary of mine at school.

It also works the other way round where the women won't talk to other men.

I used to know a secular Jewish gynecologist who would say along the lines of 'They won't talk to me but they will let me get knuckles deep'.

Not seen him in about 30 years marra. He was old even then. Think he has since died.

Edit: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/tributes-to-gentleman-sportsman-1-6034184

Aye ol’ Ralph died about three years ago. Lovely fella and a good friend of our family. Would even come over and celebrate Christmas with us! When he got too frail to manage going to the match, if we were on the telly my brother would go over his house with a six pack and they'd watch together over a couple of ales.

In younger days he was such a football fan he had season tickets at us and Newcastle. One of his tickets from the thirties is behind glass in the sports bar. Great bloke and missed.

My old Dad used to work for Bernsteins upholstery in Sunderland (anyone know where that was, please?) and I'm afraid to say he wasn't very flattering about them. Could be because Dad used to make his mouth go and was told by Mr B 'I've got my eye on you'.

A good friend of my family was Harry Marks who worked in the stock room for Marks and Spencer in the 1950's and early 1960's . Harry always ensured that he gave us Matzo bread at Passover and owing to that my sisters and I learned something of the Jewish faith in a part of the country that at the time was very isolated from people of different cultures. It was a simple gesture that helped broaden my outlook on life and for which I will always be grateful.

Currently turning the swallow hotel into a Jewish boarding school. Had to go in for work the other day young Jewish lads from all over the country and world even one kid from Australia (poor fucker ending up in Gateshead). They seem to have hired there own private security in Gateshead so not sure if tensions are rising in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back