Sunderland's former Jewish population: what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Heed Jews are Ultra Orthodox, but the Newcastle ones more chilled out, so the side of the water they may have moved to may have been influenced by that back in the day. About 500 Jewish families around Coatsworth Road these days, which apparently is quite a small community compared to other cities
Ah well if you worked in the library next door to a Jewish boys school and near Coatsworth Road it probably did seem disproportionate. However as we dealt with the community a lot the Council made us go on a 'get to know the Jewish community' type course. A bit difficult if the orthodox Jewish elders wouldn't communicate with me, however.

Tesco Gateshead don't always follow the national promo space planner and celebrate events in the Jewish calendar. There's a few times I've been in looking for a display for work and it's not there because they're using the space for Passover or something. It's great that they're made to feel included like that.
It is. Just not so great when my experiences with the community were either awkward or reponding to complaints because they couldn't get the rooms they wanted at short notice. But then, they weren't the only group guilty of that.

Last edited:

Sunderland had 2 communities - the religious and the secular communities. Although both used to mix quite freely in Sunderland this is quite unusual and gave the Sunderland community a unique feel.

The religious folk moved lock, stock and barrel to Gateshead. The yeshiva on the Cedars (a college of jewish further education if you like) move to Gateshead and is still called the Sunderland Yeshiva.

The secular community of which I was part drifted away through its youth. The young folk went to universities, away for work or just to towns with larger communities and eventually stayed away. Often met partners from other parts of the country and such like. As the community started to shrink below a critical mass and its days were numbered the older folk started to move away to larger communities. Only a couple of families left now.

It has been the same in just about every British town that had a Jewish community apart from London and Manchester.

Most Jews from Sunderland remember their roots well. I have met kids 2 or 3 generations detached from Sunderland who still very much consider themselves as 'Sunderland Jews' and most are MLFs.

Ah well if you worked in the library next door to a Jewish boys school and near Coatsworth Road it probably did seem disproportionate. However as we dealt with the community a lot the Council made us go on a 'get to know the Jewish community' type course. A bit difficult if the orthodox Jewish elders wouldn't communicate with me, however.

It is. Just not so great when my experiences with the community were either awkward or reponding to complaints because they couldn't get the rooms they wanted at short notice. But then, they weren't the only group guilty of that.
It also works the other way round where the women won't talk to other men.

I used to know a secular Jewish gynecologist who would say along the lines of 'They won't talk to me but they will let me get knuckles deep'.

Ta is he still watching safc?
Not seen him in about 30 years marra. He was old even then. Think he has since died.

Edit: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/tributes-to-gentleman-sportsman-1-6034184

Last edited:

I was born and brought up just off Coatsworth Rd. I found the communities got along well without much integration or mixing. Sort of a passive co-existence. All around there, Whitehall Rd, Grasmere, Coatsworth had the bakers, butchers, jewellers etc and I never really experienced any tension. This was in the late 50s till the early 70s when I left Gateshead. Many of my friends were Jewish but they left childhood at 12yo and joined their adult community. As a youngster I could get a few coppers by lighting fires and ovens or doing a bit shopping for them as the Sabbath had begun and they observed it err... religiously I suppose.

How things are there now I don't know but I imagine they are still a close knit group and a pleasant neighbourhood as it was. I've lived in much worse communities. Sadly, mostly white British.

I was born and brought up just off Coatsworth Rd. I found the communities got along well without much integration or mixing. Sort of a passive co-existence. All around there, Whitehall Rd, Grasmere, Coatsworth had the bakers, butchers, jewellers etc and I never really experienced any tension. This was in the late 50s till the early 70s when I left Gateshead. Many of my friends were Jewish but they left childhood at 12yo and joined their adult community. As a youngster I could get a few coppers by lighting fires and ovens or doing a bit shopping for them as the Sabbath had begun and they observed it err... religiously I suppose.

How things are there now I don't know but I imagine they are still a close knit group and a pleasant neighbourhood as it was. I've lived in much worse communities. Sadly, mostly white British.
I think that more of an effort has been made over the last few years for both communities. I think 'passive co-existense' sums it up. I witnessed some awful bullying of Orthodox Jewish lads - and one time I stepped in when a lone lad had his yarmulke (is that right?) pinched - God knows what I would have done if it had gone any further. I also witnessed groups of Jewish girls regularly walking in the middle of Durham Road too - which is really busy. And this used to make bus and taxi drivers livid. Not to mention dangerous. Not sure if this still happens but it was weird to see.

Sunderland had 2 communities - the religious and the secular communities. Although both used to mix quite freely in Sunderland this is quite unusual and gave the Sunderland community a unique feel.

The religious folk moved lock, stock and barrel to Gateshead. The yeshiva on the Cedars (a college of jewish further education if you like) move to Gateshead and is still called the Sunderland Yeshiva.

The secular community of which I was part drifted away through its youth. The young folk went to universities, away for work or just to towns with larger communities and eventually stayed away. Often met partners from other parts of the country and such like. As the community started to shrink below a critical mass and its days were numbered the older folk started to move away to larger communities. Only a couple of families left now.

It has been the same in just about every British town that had a Jewish community apart from London and Manchester.

Most Jews from Sunderland remember their roots well. I have met kids 2 or 3 generations detached from Sunderland who still very much consider themselves as 'Sunderland Jews' and most are MLFs.

Do you happen to know Max Velody or any of his descendants Sadders? He'll be 59 y.o. now..I don't know where he went.

I live off Whitehall Rd and it's much the same now, everyone just muddles around peacefully. It's a much more multicultural area now, lots of students too. As you said I've lived in worse places as well and any problems round here are from the charvers acting up but mainly causing bother with each other than anyone else.

I think that more of an effort has been made over the last few years for both communities. I think 'passive co-existense' sums it up. I witnessed some awful bullying of Orthodox Jewish lads - and one time I stepped in when a lone lad had his yarmulke (is that right?) pinched - God knows what I would have done if it had gone any further. I also witnessed groups of Jewish girls regularly walking in the middle of Durham Road too - which is really busy. And this used to make bus and taxi drivers livid. Not to mention dangerous. Not sure if this still happens but it was weird to see.

I was mates with Jewish lad in 6th form who was getting loads of stick of some of the less enlightened members of the school.

a smack in the mouth for the ringleader sharp put an end to it.

i very recently saw a jewish family at seaham car boot, also seen a bloke (may have been the same) in ashbrooke recently, also one (again may have been the same) walking down ryhope road. Obviously in the traditional clothes you tend to notice and remember as its such a rare sight. this isn't intended as inappropriate banter in the slightest but the Jews are a business minded group and it stands to reason why they would seek opportunity in Manchester and London versus up here where there is little going on commercially by comparison Also I presume some strength in numbers as they will get less grief where they are less of a minority, or there are more minorities. I presume they had a slightly easier time of it than the muslims as if you were a secular jew (thanks for the info sadders) you will blend in a lot more, obviously 99% of muslims have brown skin so are an easier target for bellends.

They wandered off.

Was there ever any jews in consett or Stanley George?

I know my mate Hershey Tabashnik would go and stand still in the middle of the road if someone knocked his yamulke or kippah off. Stay there until someone got it for him. Don't know why. We were cruel back then. He got a hard time TBH. Kids are cruel growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back