Sunderland would be irrelevant in football if it wasn’t for Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF when Americans talk about big market teams they usually mean LA, NY, Chicago etc. Usually because the TV station shows the most local team, so these teams will have bigger viewer numbers. Not really summit that applies to us because all of England is smaller than Texas and we don't have local TV like that. So by his understanding I can see what he means.
Lost in translation ;)

He is spot on . Sunderland as a football club are only important to our own fans. When you explain who you support to a foreigner they tend to look at you with a blank expression . At least after Netflix people will actually know who we are.
There's a huge difference with being a smaller club and being irrelevant.

Yes, "small market" was not a slight. It really makes your attendance figures that much more impressive. We aren't China, but Sunderland would about the 19th largest city in Texas. I cannot imagine Lubbock, Amarillo, Garland or Grand Prairie having a professional sports team that is a national icon.

Thanks! I will follow from over here and then get over there and watch a game at the Stadium of Light. It looks like a fun place to be.
Google NASA Sunderland, go to the website, join the N. American supporters club, follow it on Facebook. If you do, welcome.

When i was working in Kazakhstan there was a pretty big contingent of ex-pats from around the world. Many supported the likes of Man United, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea. To say that they had no idea who Sunderland are would not be accurate. What is accurate is that when series 1 was on Netflix Sunderland became a topic of conversation in the bar. If that small example is mirrored everywhere then the exposure can only be good.

He is spot on . Sunderland as a football club are only important to our own fans. When you explain who you support to a foreigner they tend to look at you with a blank expression . At least after Netflix people will actually know who we are.
So he's saying he's kept us alive and kicking, it's a programme, surley we don't make any money off them just brings the football club to people's attention

You will find that football fans from around the world are pretty knowledgable on premier and former premier league clubs. I work with a lot of African people who know a lot about Sunderland. Whenever we have an overseas player you find people from that country follow their career in our domestic league. A few years ago I met some Albanian lads cheering on Sunderland in the pub when we were on Sky.

You will find that football fans from around the world are pretty knowledgable on premier and former premier league clubs. I work with a lot of African people who know a lot about Sunderland. Whenever we have an overseas player you find people from that country follow their career in our domestic league. A few years ago I met some Albanian lads cheering on Sunderland in the pub when we were on Sky.
Got to watch those Albanian lads like.

What does it matter if/ who we are relevant to? Fans care about the club other than that it’s results on the pitch that matter and define the relevance of the club to the outside world.

That must be because of Cana? Probably Albania's most well known and successful player.
Edit: Obviously 😂

Slightly misread your post originally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back