*~*~* Sunderland v Newcastle match thread *~*~*

Don't think anyone can argue we gifted them there 3 goals, I would of just liked to have seen us give It more of a go Instead of sitting back and trying to keep the score down which Is what Beale done. He didn't make a substitution until the 85th minute
You can say they put pressure on us and forced the mistakes, but I was expecting 5 goals from open play, probably with slick passing and some real quality.

What they had was a defenders nightmare. You have to throw your body into it. Most of the time when Ballard does that he makes the block, but there is the odd time it goes wrong. Yesterday it went wrong.

Then a brain fart, from someone who had not got going in the second half, and finally a penalty where Ballard again made a bad choice and was probably tiredness more than anything else, right at the death.

Absolute nonsense. They didn’t create much. We gave them all 3 goals.
That’s exactly what I saw aswel they never had a shot on target first half aoaet from ballards own goal the second half tactics were f***ing shocking that tika kick routine needs sacking off someone should of had the sense to do so

Interesting that, I presume Pritchard is the oldest player on the pitch for us, and probably our MoM. Perhaps Speakman and KLD take note?
Ballard was a contender for MoM, but OG and giving a penalty away, knocked him out of the reckoning.

Course I can

The history is personal and not shared. So when they say “recent history” they mean us being in league 1 and them being bought by Saudi Arabia

Just read a Chronicle article. Taking the piss obviously. But “Newcastle fans may now be wishing they could experience this sort of feeling twice a season again.” is a quote from it.

The last time Newcastle beat Sunderland twice in a season was 2005. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. And that’s as far back as I looked - because I thought ‘hang on’. There will be people here, and at the match who have NEVER seen Newcastle beat Sunderland twice in a season.

i don’t want to come across as a bit obsessive here but it seems to be the accepted wisdom in journalist circles, that there’s always been this permanent imbalance on the fortunes of the two clubs … either that or they’re purposely trying to foster that perspective for some unfathomable reason.

It‘ll no doubt be a long time before the two clubs play each other again and I expect they’ll win next time too. But I’ll hazard a guess that the assumption will be that next result will just be a return to the norm that everyone has started to assume it always was.

Hey ho. Wot a pity. Never mind.

Just read a Chronicle article. Taking the piss obviously. But “Newcastle fans may now be wishing they could experience this sort of feeling twice a season again.” is a quote from it.

The last time Newcastle beat Sunderland twice in a season was 2005. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. And that’s as far back as I looked - because I thought ‘hang on’. There will be people here, and at the match who have NEVER seen Newcastle beat Sunderland twice in a season.

i don’t want to come across as a bit obsessive here but it seems to be the accepted wisdom in journalist circles, that there’s always been this permanent imbalance on the fortunes of the two clubs … either that or they’re purposely trying to foster that perspective for some unfathomable reason.

It‘ll no doubt be a long time before the two clubs play each other again and I expect they’ll win next time too. But I’ll hazard a guess that the assumption will be that next result will just be a return to the norm that everyone has started to assume it always was.

Yes the “again” is not only unnecessary but also inaccurate.

To be fair I did think the TV coverage mentioned the 6 in a row a few times. That said, i think you’re right that the narrative from yesterday onwards will be that “Newcastle have always been bigger/beaten Sunderland” which is clearly not true

Don't think anyone can argue we gifted them there 3 goals, I would of just liked to have seen us give It more of a go Instead of sitting back and trying to keep the score down which Is what Beale done. He didn't make a substitution until the 85th minute
The event got to us.

Beale did nothing to change it. He’s played a part in the old firm so I’m amazed he wasn’t ready for this

I think they’ll just mean derby days marra.

I think they’ll just mean derby days marra.

Perhaps it was the context within which the sentence I copied and pasted was written. It didn’t suggest to me that they simply meant derby days. It Is entirely possible that I’m being over sensitive but I wouldn’t have thought so. I don’t live in the region so Im not subject to the ‘banter’. Nobody I know talks about football at all, let alone NE Derbies and I haven’t been to a game in over 10 years. So I’m not prone to over-sensitivity about it. Maybe I’m just a wuss.

Back