Sunderland Station Redevelopment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first landlady of the Palatine Hotel was a Peggy Toward, giving Toward Road (formerly Wellington Street) it's name.

And I always thought it was named thus because it took you "towards" Grangetown. You learn something new every day!

I still remember staying in what was the Mowbray Hotel back in 1997 or thereabouts... I hate whats been put in its place, but I guess thats progress? Looking at some of the old pictures of Sunderland (the old station, Victoria Hall etc, its such a shame that so many of these beautiful buildings have gone.

The first landlady of the Palatine Hotel was a Peggy Toward, giving Toward Road (formerly Wellington Street) it's name.

And I always thought it was named thus because it took you "towards" Grangetown. You learn something new every day!

I went to school with some of the Marshalls' - who used to run the Palatine back in the 70's, I think Adie(?) took over the Seaton Lane Inn and ran it when Quinny & co used it as an unofficial club house.

Think it was originally known as Towards Road. Pretty sure that that road name is still displayed on the side of a building halfway along.

Think it was originally known as Towards Road. Pretty sure that that road name is still displayed on the side of a building halfway along.

You're right, older maps show that too.

Nice to know you get a road named after you if you run a boozer, eh?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back