Sunderland Station Redevelopment

That's nowt - come back when you've driven through there for 31 years, marra.

joking aside ... some clever planning, diggers, trucks, builders n that. you know, usual stuff.
Can't see how it would work personally. And it is 31 years.

Really hope this comes to fruition, I don't have to get trains from Sunderland very often but that station is a proper eyesore, it's manky, dark and claustrophobic

The original 19thC Sunderland station was opposite Mowbray Park and over ground, theres a blue plaque on Burdon Road where the main entrance used to be.

Logon or register to see this image

It was tiny, only with one platform and it shut when the track had to curl around to get over the railway bridge when it was built in the 1870s. It'll be a very tough fit to get down there now.

Btw the very first station in Sunderland was by the town moor in Hendon, the track still goes up to the land by the Welcome Tavern.

Should develop a new one opposite the war memorial in Mowbray park....along with rail services southerly out of the city centre. The metro track has made Sunderland a railway cul de sac.

Mowbray park gives a better impression of the city
This could also give the opportunity for four platforms, as it could be built where the lines either go south to Hartlepool or west to South Hylton. Too expensive and possibly not even space, not sure.

However, whatever design is chosen, it needs to be self cleaning. It might sound a small point but the pigeons and seagulls have perfected the knack of transforming our city centre buildings for the worse.

Logon or register to see this image

It was tiny, only with one platform and it shut when the track had to curl around to get over the railway bridge when it was built in the 1870s. It'll be a very tough fit to get down there now.

Btw the very first station in Sunderland was by the town moor in Hendon, the track still goes up to the land by the Welcome Tavern.
Lots of info on here, prior to the Wear railway bridge being built we had 3 stations, Monkwearmouth, Fawcett Street & Hendon.
Disused Stations:Sunderland Central Station

And interestingly, here's the link (hopefully) to a map showing what was once called Fawcett Street Station (one might need to zoom in)

View: Durham VIII (includes: Boldon; Sunderland.) - Ordnance Survey Six-inch England and Wales, 1842-1952

Crikey, who'd have thought the Palatine Hoitel would be there before museum, eh?
Disused Stations:Sunderland Central Station

I've drove trains through there for over 30 years. People just say should put it there but never say how it would be laid out. How would you do it.

With all the talk of the Civic Centre being demolished, you would have thought that would be an ideal spot for a brand new station. Lots of space and very easy to make a direct link to the bus and Metro station at Park Lane.

It would require some short, but fairly major tunnelling work south of this to link back up to the existing tunnel, but if it was one of the major cities in this country it would happen.

* I am neither a town planner nor a railway engineer and frequently talk rubbish

Who's the knacker David Coverdale commenting at the bottom of the article? When was the train station ever overground or near Mowbray Park? I'm aware from pictures & older members of my family that it used to have a North & a South entrance, the North entrance being where Littlewoods used to be.
Clearly it was there as per the replies. I'd be careful calling randoms knackers before checking facts. Been past that blue plaque many times. Loads sown Hendon way too.

Looks class: light and airy. Anyone know if they’re raising the track bed or will it be a big dig out open space that’s light and airy??? (there’s a theme here)
If it's gotta stay in that location it's vital they get light into platforms so hopefully it's opened out and then glass covered. Oh and toilets are a must (not glass covered before some smart Alec says out)

Last edited:
The current train station is in the wrong location. Any redevelopment of it would be just paying lip service to all the critics of the current state. It would be essentially mean demolition costs along with being without a train station as its redeveloped. In the end we'll have a better looking station but it will be a veneer. The city will still have restricted access to the east coast mainline due to the metro sharing the track. The station will only have two platforms going to the same places.
To place the station opposite Mowbray park gives the planners a real opportunity to solve Sunderlands train station problems once and for all, rather than spending money over and over again on piecemeal redevelopments that end up needing to be changed...again after a few years. Surely in the longer run it will be cheaper to make something purpose built at a different site with its focus on southerly rail routes out of the city.

This could also give the opportunity for four platforms, as it could be built where the lines either go south to Hartlepool or west to South Hylton. Too expensive and possibly not even space, not sure.

However, whatever design is chosen, it needs to be self cleaning. It might sound a small point but the pigeons and seagulls have perfected the knack of transforming our city centre buildings for the worse.

I fear the redevelopment of the current site would be nothing more than cosmetic. And I think over time might require additional work.
A look on aerial maps shows the area in between sinatras, Yates bar, the civic centre and burdon road to be much bigger the the footprint of the current station.

Last edited:
With all the talk of the Civic Centre being demolished, you would have thought that would be an ideal spot for a brand new station. Lots of space and very easy to make a direct link to the bus and Metro station at Park Lane.

It would require some short, but fairly major tunnelling work south of this to link back up to the existing tunnel, but if it was one of the major cities in this country it would happen.

* I am neither a town planner nor a railway engineer and frequently talk rubbish
Just need some trains to call at this new Railway Station.

Back