Sunderland railway station.

Any change is good change according to some on here. It basically seems like "here's a cheap new box, now be happy".

Are the exposed metal girders being repurposed from the Crowtree or something!?

Completely agree. I suggest we all write to the Sunderland Central MP - she's always banging on about her fruitless campaign for it.

Any change is good change according to some on here. It basically seems like "here's a cheap new box, now be happy".

Are the exposed metal girders being repurposed from the Crowtree or something!?

Literally anything would be better than the city has now. Sunderland train/railway/choochoo station must be the worst gateway to any major city in the country.

It looks ok to me.

You've nailed it - after 40+ years of having a shite station they fob us off with a not so shite one and we think its an improvement at least. Just been to the local '@Range' (formerly Homebase) shed on Silksworth Lane and it could be the blueprint for the new station.
Don’t know what people are expecting it to look like. It’s the upstairs of a train station.

Yeah but that's what we've got now, so why bother? Would NCL accept that design - not on your nelly?

Last edited:
You've nailed it - after 40+ years of having a shite station they fob us off with a not so shite one and we think its an improvement at least. Just been to the local '@Range' (formerly Homebase) shed on Silksworth Lane and it could be the blueprint for the new station.

Yeah but that's what we've got now, so why bother? Would NCL accept that design - not on your nelly?
It’s the south entrance, the north entrance will be the main entrance. I’d imagine the north entrance will have more money spent on it and look better. The south will most likely be the metro part so why the design has to be amazing (that would cost more money) I don’t know.

Having unlocked the funding needed to push ahead with the southern concourse, plans are taking shape for the second stage of the station's transformation to deliver a reimagined northern entrance, with attractive public realm to create the Central Business District statement building and gateway entrance on High Street West. The northern entrance will become the city's main arrival point, with Mackies Corner and the Elephant Tearooms just two of the impressive buildings greeting people coming into Sunderland.

As a bairn I loved the old north entrance. Can still remember cars and taxis coming in and out, the long walk past waiting rooms and little shops to the stairs down to the platform. The machine where you could print out your name on a metal strip for a penny. And the lovely smell of coal and steam!

Back