Sunderland railway station.

If you put the metro on the line to seaham we’d have to rely on a connection to the east coast mainline via Durham / leamside line instead? Or is there sufficient number of lines via seaham to maintain both?

Honestly, unsure if I had to be honest with you, on that one. Guess it would depend how far it went.

Must say I always think the Metro was a big mistake to Sunderland and they should've built a National Rail service similar to Thameslink in London, S Bahn in Germany or the RER in Paris.

It's really limited the line, could've easily if it was National Rail had extensions South now. But the Metro trains, they're unusual voltage for the UK, inadequate seating for long distances and are too slow.

Similar if you extended one of the Stadium of Light platforms on concert days etc could've have a 4 car train or even longer and shifted the crowds.

Shame really.

Ok. I disagree and think if we had a more comprehensive metro system that linked up with Durham it would provide a much better service for all assuming we of course get much better coverage to the south of the city ie seaham, doxford park, houghton/Hetton, Durham etc. no idea if that is even possible. All that being said I would still want to keep national direct connections to London and provide a north west service. Critical issue will be whether there is sufficient demand to maintain additional services.

We won't hear anything until there's a new Government in place but there's dis-used rail tracks in Washington Nexus want to link up the rail with. It wants to go from South Hylton into Washington then linking them back at up at Hebburn and back onto its original route from there.
As Pelaw is considered the main station where people change tracks it wants to create a 3rd track which goes straight onto Wallsend etc's route rather than getting off at Monument and waiting half an hour or so. Actually handy for getting to Whitley bay, Tynemouth etc faster.
Durham would never happen, all Tories down there who would voice opposition to it due to the amount of idiots it would bring to the city.

Last edited:
We won't hear anything until there's a new Government in place but there's dis-used rail tracks in Washington Nexus want to link up the rail with. It wants to go from South Hylton into Washington then linking them back at up at Hebburn and back onto its original route from there.
As Pelaw is considered the main station where people change tracks it wants to create a 3rd track which goes straight onto Wallsend etc's route rather than getting off at Monument and waiting half an hour or so. Actually handy for getting to Whitley bay, Tynemouth etc faster.
Durham would never happen, all Tories down there who would voice opposition to it due to the amount of idiots it would bring to the city.

Went to see Jamie driscoll talk about his plans if he was north east Mayor, and he stated he had a budget for the leanside lane to be reopened

Not sure tbh, the metro hardly goes anywhere…….except out of Sunderland

It’s hardly an impressive service across the city. It used existing track for the majority of the line, and it inhibited national services to the city centre

It really wasn’t worth it
Some cities would give their right arm for the metro as it it is
Sunderland the city of moaners

Honestly, unsure if I had to be honest with you, on that one. Guess it would depend how far it went.

Must say I always think the Metro was a big mistake to Sunderland and they should've built a National Rail service similar to Thameslink in London, S Bahn in Germany or the RER in Paris.

It's really limited the line, could've easily if it was National Rail had extensions South now. But the Metro trains, they're unusual voltage for the UK, inadequate seating for long distances and are too slow.

Similar if you extended one of the Stadium of Light platforms on concert days etc could've have a 4 car train or even longer and shifted the crowds.

Shame really.
I never understood why they didn’t use the Monkwearmouth station which should have been able to take both mainline and metro trains
Leeds would.
Leeds has brilliant rail connections

Last edited:
I never understood why they didn’t use the Monkwearmouth station which should have been able to take both mainline and metro trains

It has no equivalent of a metro light rail system like the NE nor trams or guided buses which is what I was alluding to. Its rail connections are no better than what one would expect of a city of its size and are arguably not as good as York's, a much smaller city. The station is a nightmare and major bottleneck.

Let's have less public transport. Said nobody ever.

There's no reason why we can't have both. The only extra trains that would be really feasible though would be a couple of TP trains to Liverpool. Perhaps a CC to Birmingham too. Seems mad to get rid of the metro for the sake of a few extra trains a day.
Crosscountry looked at going round the coast but nothing came of it. Sunderland doesn’t need the metro.

Crosscountry looked at going round the coast but nothing came of it. Sunderland doesn’t need the metro.
Without the metro I couldn’t be arsed with the faffing around getting to matches. Grand Central are unreliable, changing at Stockton or wherever not a good option, LNER to Ncl then metro is piece of cake.

Monkwearmouth Station is a Listed building and in order for the Metro to use it the existing ancient platforms would have to be rebuilt to modern specs, lifts installed and probably another footbridge.

For Cross-country to go via Sunderland all the train crew would require "route knowledge" and other training. Plus the franchises of Northern and Grand Central would have to be renegotiated. It would be vast expense for little return.

Last edited:
Monkwearmouth Station is a Listed building and in order for the Metro to use it the existing ancient platforms would have to be rebuilt to modern specs, lifts installed and probably another footbridge.

For Cross-country to go via Sunderland all the train crew would require "route knowledge" and other training. Plus the franchises of Northern and Grand Central would have to be renegotiated. It would be vast expense for little return.

Grade II* listed too which is very restrictive.

Grand Central don't have a franchise, they're an open operator.

Must admit I'm always surprised they didn't build one Metro station in-between St Peters and the Stadium of Light around there (poss linked to Millennium Way) rather than two which are both in pretty poor places. St Peters is ridiculously close to Sunderland and it's no wonder it's poorly used.

It has no equivalent of a metro light rail system like the NE nor trams or guided buses which is what I was alluding to. Its rail connections are no better than what one would expect of a city of its size and are arguably not as good as York's, a much smaller city. The station is a nightmare and major bottleneck.

To be fair Leeds has a decent rail service even locally, York isn't comparable. The Airedale and Wharfdale lines are no better/worse than the Metro, for example.

The Metro is both for both Newcastle and Sunderland, it only really benefits North and South Tyneside mainly who both have a fantastic service.

Must admit I'm always surprised they didn't build one Metro station in-between St Peters and the Stadium of Light around there (poss linked to Millennium Way) rather than two which are both in pretty poor places. St Peters is ridiculously close to Sunderland and it's no wonder it's poorly used.

To be fair Leeds has a decent rail service even locally, York isn't comparable. The Airedale and Wharfdale lines are no better/worse than the Metro, for example.

The Metro is both for both Newcastle and Sunderland, it only really benefits North and South Tyneside mainly who both have a fantastic service.
Leeds is the largest city in Europe with no tram / light rail system. Getting around Leeds is a pain with only buses. Should have trams going out to the suburbs and out to the airport. Nowhere near as regular service to the likes of Skipton or Ilkley as Tyne & Wear Metro provides to all stations it serves.

Leeds doesn’t have a massive ocean on the eastern side of the city boundary
Neither do we.
Leeds is the largest city in Europe with no tram / light rail system. Getting around Leeds is a pain with only buses. Should have trams going out to the suburbs and out to the airport. Nowhere near as regular service to the likes of Skipton or Ilkley as Tyne & Wear Metro provides to all stations it serves.
I'd prefer a tram system serving wearside only.

Aye no arguments, about the urban side, but you just said that the local rail was poor but imo it's quite decent. Really you need both, let's be honest though. Places like Skipton the same distance as Chester Le Street, Seaham, Morpeth and Cramlington from Newcastle and they all have non existent trains bar the odd token hourly service.

Back