Sunderland Hooligans

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know nowt about the Seaburn Casuals but was around in the days when you expected trouble at most away games.
Sunderland used to take a bigger than usual away following made up in the most of lads who knew the score but didn't go looking for bother.
I think our lads used to want a good drink, a song or two and then on to the match followed by a good stop over on the way back. That's what my mates wanted.
Cos there were so many of us, a lot of home "firms" would back off/stay away from us.
If trouble did arrive we could handle ourselves. I have been involved in trouble quite a few times but it was never planned, as far as I know, it just happened.
We are mentioned in some books like the Boro one and the Chelsea ones.
As for home games, it was just an unwritten rule wasn't it that if someone turned up taking the pish then they would receive a nice friendly Sunderland welcome.
So, from my era I think it was a bit of the above plus the fact we were not organised.

I know nowt about the Seaburn Casuals but was around in the days when you expected trouble at most away games.
Sunderland used to take a bigger than usual away following made up in the most of lads who knew the score but didn't go looking for bother.
I think our lads used to want a good drink, a song or two and then on to the match followed by a good stop over on the way back. That's what my mates wanted.
Cos there were so many of us, a lot of home "firms" would back off/stay away from us.
If trouble did arrive we could handle ourselves. I have been involved in trouble quite a few times but it was never planned, as far as I know, it just happened.
We are mentioned in some books like the Boro one and the Chelsea ones.
As for home games, it was just an unwritten rule wasn't it that if someone turned up taking the pish then they would receive a nice friendly Sunderland welcome.
So, from my era I think it was a bit of the above plus the fact we were not organised.

Good post

Maybe they were a bit shit and never worth a mention?

Noticed the scum lot got a mention (well kicked to fuck) in that film with that Cass Pennant geezer in it.

Were our lot just wannabe hooligans jumping on the bandwagon?

Not seen the film but is the portrayal of the ICF shitting themselves at Man Utd an accurate one?

Again, straight question, when have we had a "result?" :neutral:
your'e never going to get a straight answer to that one different perceptions etc,but the 70s taking of ends was the thing and s/land took a few enmasse boro at least 3 times i recall portsmouth ,oxford hull norwich probally more and entered tho never quite took a few more bristol rovers oldham :neutral:

your'e never going to get a straight answer to that one different perceptions etc,but the 70s taking of ends was the thing and s/land took a few enmasse boro at least 3 times i recall portsmouth ,oxford hull norwich probally more and entered tho never quite took a few more bristol rovers oldham :neutral:

We used to take the Gallwogate in the 60's. Every match

Sunderland were mentioned in the BBC book (the one where Paul Heaton does the foreword) where some of the Sheffiled Utd fans got drinking with SAFC and went to a house (thorney?) and then all of a sudden had their shoes nicked and were attacked, think someone was stabbed in the head or summit.:eek:

Sunderland were mentioned in the BBC book (the one where Paul Heaton does the foreword) where some of the Sheffiled Utd fans got drinking with SAFC and went to a house (thorney?) and then all of a sudden had their shoes nicked and were attacked, think someone was stabbed in the head or summit.:eek:

Yep, didn't mention where the house was like but accurate all the same.

Do you actually read hoolie books and think that it is all 100% true?

Nope but I haven't seen anything written to say that we won.

so "we" are mentioned then???

they wud(lost) wudn't they...

Please G, in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to take the Gallwogate in the 60's. Every match
before seggregation and before the away end became the scoreboard (as man utd started it) a place to welcome away fans ..was at 73 ollie burtons testimonial a lively affair then a place to vanish once gates opened....:cool:

before seggregation and before the away end became the scoreboard (as man utd started it) a place to welcome away fans ..was at 73 ollie burtons testimonial a lively affair then a place to vanish once gates opened....:cool:

Bloke I know claims he invaded the pitch and put his Sunderland scarf on the centre spot.:)

If you like hoolie books and havn't already read it have a look at Steeming In by Colin Ward. Its a good book yes like Nee Onions Mate said not all will be 100% true but a good read non the less

Nope but I haven't seen anything written to say that we won.

man utd book says they hated going to roker park and got done more than once there in the 70's, called it 'an evil place to go to'.

theyve been done a few times at the SOL aswell. they seem a bit unlucky in sunderland

Can only speak from my experience mate. Not going to go on on here but some were given a very warm welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back