Sunderland - garden waste collections

Fletch

Striker
I was under impression (wrongly) that the charge had been scrapped, £32.50 for 2020 if you want to have the brown bin emptied it seems

At least the price hasn't gone up since last year. I called them about the price increase one year to complain and wasted 20 minutes of my life.

Having said that, it's basically £2 a collection, which I think is probably just about worthwhile for me, as I probably do fill it most weeks during the season.

It’s a pretty fair deal imo. Lots of areas get one main bin, a crappy little box for recyclables (no full size blue bin) and no full size bin option for garden. 32.50 to save you doing loads of tip runs and avoiding getting your car minging is a bargain. Also it’s fair in that people without gardens shouldn’t be subsidising those who do.

It’s a pretty fair deal imo. Lots of areas get one main bin, a crappy little box for recyclables (no full size blue bin) and no full size bin option for garden. 32.50 to save you doing loads of tip runs and avoiding getting your car minging is a bargain. Also it’s fair in that people without gardens shouldn’t be subsidising those who do.
Sounds logical, but that argument doesn't really hold up across the full gamut of council services, even with what you might call non-essential ones like this.

I was under impression (wrongly) that the charge had been scrapped, £32.50 for 2020 if you want to have the brown bin emptied it seems
If you have a garden, and it is long enough so the compost bin isn't next to the back door, get or build one or more compost bin.

The vast majority of the stuff that goes in the garden waste bin can be composted.

Currently residing in N Tyneside. When NT council tried to charge for brown bin collections the number of people who said they no longer wanted the service made the council forget the charge.
They didn't have the resources to collect and store tens of thousands of brown bins.
Always been free in this area of the Dark Side.
People Power

Last edited:
It's a f***ing disgrace that they are charging for it.
We pay enough in Council Tax.
I never took up the collection and it's charge.
It isn’t. Hardly anyone wants it so it’s easier to charge. I’m all for it. I also agree that all bins ordered carry a £25 charge for a replacement. Even if they’re stolen, you’re on benefits, old or what. We all pay and it’s tough shit.

It's worth every penny .How people can be fucked on trying to bag grass cuttings and the mess that comes with it for the sake of what is only coppers.

Says a lot about someone's true personality when they are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to save £30.00.

It'll not be covering even a fraction of the true cost of what it actually costs to process everything in the bin.

Back