Sunderland - garden waste collections

I have a large garden and did the manly thing of creating a bonfire to get rid of fallen leaves last November. I checked that none of the neighbours had washing out and still had one knock on the door complaining that his kitchen 'stinks of smoke'. How I didn't give him a 'fuck off' I will never know.

I’ve two compost bins it gets hoyed into.

any other garden waste goes into the brown bin. 40 quid charge through here.

It's worth every penny .How people can be fucked on trying to bag grass cuttings and the mess that comes with it for the sake of what is only coppers.

Says a lot about someone's true personality when they are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to save £30.00.
Fuck all with saving money as you are alluding to.
It's the principle Adam - it used to be included in your council tax.
A simple money making scheme by the council.

Sounds logical, but that argument doesn't really hold up across the full gamut of council services, even with what you might call non-essential ones like this.

True, same for income tax though. If the people who pay in the most were able to just pay in line with useage the whole system would collapse as the lowest earners both pay in the least and (typically) are more likely to use social security and rely on public services. In isolation, I still think we get a fair deal on the bins here.

How much council tax should we be paying, and why? And why shouldn’t they raise money? You sound like you would be one of the first to twist if stuff wasn’t getting done because they couldn’t balance the books. How about we sell off the allotment land to build houses on, that should raise a fortune.

Last edited:
I have a large garden and did the manly thing of creating a bonfire to get rid of fallen leaves last November. I checked that none of the neighbours had washing out and still had one knock on the door complaining that his kitchen 'stinks of smoke'. How I didn't give him a 'fuck off' I will never know.
Rather irresponsible thing to do burn leaves mind.
It’s a service that’s worth every penny to me.

Last edited:
True, same for income tax though. If the people who pay in the most were able to just pay in line with useage the whole system would collapse as the lowest earners both pay in the least and (typically) are more likely to use social security and rely on public services. In isolation, I still think we get a fair deal on the bins here.

How much council tax should we be paying, and why? And why shouldn’t they raise money? You sound like you would be one of the first to twist if stuff wasn’t getting done because they couldn’t balance the books. How about we sell off the allotment land to build houses on, that should raise a fortune.
Narrs nowt^^^^

Rather irresponsible thing to do burn leaves mind.

It’s a service that’s worth every penny to me.

Agree on the burning in gardens like, stinks everyone’s houses out if there is a window open. I’d hazard a guess half the same knackers would twist if they catch a whiff of tab smoke.
my lawn is too big to fit all the cuttings in a bin

You can have more than one bin if you are blessed/cursed with a massive garden.

Last edited:
Memory is a bit sketchy here but wasnt it going to be scrapped nationally as it was seen as being a tax on being environmental. Might have been a Tory manifesto pledge

Or something like that

It's worth every penny .How people can be fucked on trying to bag grass cuttings and the mess that comes with it for the sake of what is only coppers.

Says a lot about someone's true personality when they are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to save £30.00.

It'll not be covering even a fraction of the true cost of what it actually costs to process everything in the bin.
I never renewed last year worst thing I did. What a fuck on every time I cut the grass or tidied the garden. Wasn't even about money, I'm just a lazy **** at times and it's always tomorrow...
It's an extra service which 100% should be chargeable.its for next to nowt basically.
my lawn is too big to fit all the cuttings in a bin
What did you do before the garden waste bins were introduced then?

Last edited:
I never renewed last year worst thing I did. What a fuck on every time I cut the grass or tidied the garden. Wasn't even about money, I'm just a lazy **** at times and it's always tomorrow...
It's an extra service which 100% should be chargeable.its for next to nowt basically.
Nope.
It was with us for years - and was included in our Council Tax.
The Civic Centre overlords decided to put a charge on it to raise even more money.
Looks like you are another one on here who thinks that they are getting a good service by paying for it, when as a matter of fact, it was already there.

Back