Summer holidays abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I flew to Jersey my lasses mum picked me up from mine and took us to the Airport. We returned on the Metro to Boldon and got picked up. I still have the Metro ticket from our return from the Airport to Boldon as a souvenir.

Can I also ask how you ensure you get the right kind of accommodation? I went on the Hays and D&S websites. Every one I saw when I did my experimental search is a resort-type hotel. I don't fancy looking out over the balcony to see a pile of white plastic sun loungers and hundreds of pissed Brits sitting by the pool guzzling pints of cheap lager.

Hays website is a bit shit Tbf.

It depends what sort of holiday you're after. Most of the Mediterranean beach resorts will have those kind of hotels. But if you're after a city break it won't have a balcony or outdoor pool.

I think as a starter just avoid hotels that do all inclusive deals. That way it ensures there isn't a load there who just want to get pissed. Or look at resorts that favour an older generation, like Malta

It depends what sort of holiday you're after. Most of the Mediterranean beach resorts will have those kind of hotels. But if you're after a city break it won't have a balcony or outdoor pool.

I think as a starter just avoid hotels that do all inclusive deals. That way it ensures there isn't a load there who just want to get pissed. Or look at resorts that favour an older generation, like Malta

We are looking at Spain. She seems intent on wanting to go back a fourth time since we met. She seems to be in love with the Costa Del Sol - which I thought was a town or city. And who am I to argue? I've never been abroad. I am hardly going to be picky. I am happy with anywhere. The hotel my lass booked for us right when covid-19 hit Spain was in the city. Hotel Barcelona Universal. It has a rooftop pool. Speaks volumes for my luck, don't it. That is the sort I want us to stay at. It would allow us to see places like La Sagrada Famillia. She is also used to Villas. Her family has stayed in Villa Dachita in Frigliana for years. I wouldn't mind a Villa but hotels are what we are aiming for.

I saw that Channel 5 show "All-Inclusive: Is It Worth It?" That put me right off All-Inclusive. I have no idea what sort would appeal to me but that ain't one of them. I like to see the country. Not stuck in the presort having kids run round me whilst their parents are at the bar ordering their 10th Budweiser before having my ears abused by some atrocious Karaoke singing on the night or have the grown men dress up as women in some bawdy contest.

I have been playing around with the Jet2 website and it is tricky finding a good deal for the months in 2021. A lot of my searches are coming up with nothing. They can't find what I am looking for. But I am learning a lot about what months yield what type of prices and what places are the most and least expensive - Tenerife seems really expensive. As is Rome. No matter what month I select it seems very expensive. But I am impressed by the fact that OK some of them are like £450 but that does include everything. Return flights. Airport transfer. Can you give any advice as to what I can do on Jet2 to have success getting a really cheap deal?

Jet2 cancelled our flights last night, dunno why

Logan Air cancelled mine on Friday.

I was quite pleased though as KLM had already cancelled the outbound flights. All the accommodation was pay on arrival and has been cancelled penalty free and I'd not booked the trains and boat for internal travel before all this kicked off. By the time I get the flight refunds, I'll not have lost anything.

Not anymore, they all died off.

Logan Air cancelled mine on Friday.

I was quite pleased though as KLM had already cancelled the outbound flights. All the accommodation was pay on arrival and has been cancelled penalty free and I'd not booked the trains and boat for internal travel before all this kicked off. By the time I get the flight refunds, I'll not have lost anything.
Yeah, same here. Haven't lost anything so can't complain really, just disappointing when you're looking forward to something. I'll still get away. Where were you going?

We are looking at Spain. She seems intent on wanting to go back a fourth time since we met. She seems to be in love with the Costa Del Sol - which I thought was a town or city. And who am I to argue? I've never been abroad. I am hardly going to be picky. I am happy with anywhere. The hotel my lass booked for us right when covid-19 hit Spain was in the city. Hotel Barcelona Universal. It has a rooftop pool. Speaks volumes for my luck, don't it. That is the sort I want us to stay at. It would allow us to see places like La Sagrada Famillia. She is also used to Villas. Her family has stayed in Villa Dachita in Frigliana for years. I wouldn't mind a Villa but hotels are what we are aiming for.

I saw that Channel 5 show "All-Inclusive: Is It Worth It?" That put me right off All-Inclusive. I have no idea what sort would appeal to me but that ain't one of them. I like to see the country. Not stuck in the presort having kids run round me whilst their parents are at the bar ordering their 10th Budweiser before having my ears abused by some atrocious Karaoke singing on the night or have the grown men dress up as women in some bawdy contest.

I have been playing around with the Jet2 website and it is tricky finding a good deal for the months in 2021. A lot of my searches are coming up with nothing. They can't find what I am looking for. But I am learning a lot about what months yield what type of prices and what places are the most and least expensive - Tenerife seems really expensive. As is Rome. No matter what month I select it seems very expensive. But I am impressed by the fact that OK some of them are like £450 but that does include everything. Return flights. Airport transfer. Can you give any advice as to what I can do on Jet2 to have success getting a really cheap deal?
We go all inclusive (and I’ve also seen that programme) and where we go is nothing like that. You’ll only get that experience if you go cheap.

Yeah, same here. Haven't lost anything so can't complain really, just disappointing when you're looking forward to something. I'll still get away. Where were you going?

Backpacking round Norway. My younger son is obsessed with Vikings so he's bitterly disappointed. We'll book it again for next summer though.

So we're you staying in Barcelona or Costa del sol? As that's no where near Barcelona.

Not all AI are like that, but you are more likely to get that in Spain. Somewhere like Malta or Italy should be quieter.

But city breaks are about getting out & about rather than relaxing by the pool, so don't tend to be AI & won't get that sort of crowd.

Rome is expensive, not just the accommodation but also the cost of eating out etc (in the same way London is expensive compared to rest of this country), and canaries or more expensive than mainland Spain.

Unfortunately, you can't just put in a price then give a list of destinations. You need to know where you want to go & when, so it's just a case of looking at different destinations & seeing how much they cost.
Tunisia in January is really cheap if looking for a bargain

Anyone booking flights to Malaga should look to split them...Fly out with Jet2 or Easyjet but fly back with Ryanair...it can save a hefty sum...
Costa Del Sol is very quiet at moment...I’ve seen it busier in Feb than it is at the moment...some all day bars are not opening till afternoons ...

Greece are on about extending the embargo on in coming flights for another 2 weeks so it could be August before anyone can fly there

Last edited:
So we're you staying in Barcelona or Costa del sol? As that's no where near Barcelona.

Not all AI are like that, but you are more likely to get that in Spain. Somewhere like Malta or Italy should be quieter.

But city breaks are about getting out & about rather than relaxing by the pool, so don't tend to be AI & won't get that sort of crowd.

Rome is expensive, not just the accommodation but also the cost of eating out etc (in the same way London is expensive compared to rest of this country), and canaries or more expensive than mainland Spain.

Unfortunately, you can't just put in a price then give a list of destinations. You need to know where you want to go & when, so it's just a case of looking at different destinations & seeing how much they cost.
Tunisia in January is really cheap if looking for a bargain

We were going to stay in Barcelona. My lass went to both last year.

The websites make sure that you put the right info in at the right time. Even me who is doing it for the first time did that bit right. You can't hit search till you got a date specified after specifying the departure and location.

Was supposed to have 3 weeks in Bali, it got postponed for a year, now having 3 nights in Bamburgh. Looking forward to it.

You get what you pay for in AI holidays
Have a look at trip advisor, not the feckas who gave the hotel 1 star as there Kids, Dolce and Gabanna couldnt connect to the wifi ,read a wide selection. Resorts will be well known on here .Jet2 do villa holidays btw

You get what you pay for in AI holidays
Have a look at trip advisor, not the feckas who gave the hotel 1 star as there Kids, Dolce and Gabanna couldnt connect to the wifi ,read a wide selection. Resorts will be well known on here .Jet2 do villa holidays btw

I did notice that yes. I'm not so sure where my lass stands on villa holidays or if they are cheaper but all the breaks we've had have been in a hotel. Jersey, Harrogate and Penrith. Durham was a B&B. So I've explored the world with her 😂 .

What's TA like booking holidays? What can you book? I'm on it but I just use the forum.

What's this about a bad review.

Last edited:
I did notice that yes. I'm not so sure where my lass stands on villa holidays or if they are cheaper but all the breaks we've had have been in a hotel. Jersey, Harrogate and Penrith. Durham was a B&B. So I've explored the world with her 😂 .

What's TA like booking holidays? What can you book? I'm on it but I just use the forum.

What's this about a bad review.
Would try and book direct rather than someone add on their cut, look for chain hotels discount if you sign up to emails H10 hotels etc

Read all the reviews of a hotel you fancy

Croatia had a massive spike yesterday mate they're considering increasing restrictions

Due there in August and signed up for updates from the Foreign Office, all I’ve had so far is that you need to wear a mask on public transport. It’ll be Sod’s law like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back