Sugar Tax kicks in 6th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

It will take a lot of pressure off the NHS to reduce the number of Diabetes cases. But, the biggest unnecessary burden is the sheer amount of Drunk people who end up in A&E I'd say. Would you support more taxes on alcohol?
Do we not pay enough tax now on alcohol.

It will take a lot of pressure off the NHS to reduce the number of Diabetes cases. But, the biggest unnecessary burden is the sheer amount of Drunk people who end up in A&E I'd say. Would you support more taxes on alcohol?

No it won't.

i'd support fines for people who require healthcare due to illegal activity. illegal activity being drunk and disorderly, fighting, stomach pumps, illegal drug overdoses etc.

yes you do. 50p per pint i drink goes to the government, and over 50% of the cost of a box of tabs goes to the government. that's paying extra.
Fair enough, do you think if you had private insurance and they said you'll have to pay more as you smoke instead of an extra tax on the product you be less likely to smoke?

Fair enough, do you think if you had private insurance and they said you'll have to pay more as you smoke instead of an extra tax on the product you be less likely to smoke?
if i had to pay more for my insurance and still pay the ridiculous duty then i'd kick off. however, to answer your question, no, i wouldn't be less likely to smoke. in the same way that paying more because i play sports wouldn't put me off playing sports.

but we don't live in Scandinavia and I would guess the average wage is higher.

It is but for Norway the import tax makes anything imported very expensive.

Had a Norwegian lass staying with us last week who drank loads of Pepsi Max as its a special treat in Norway due to the cost and she couldn't believe how cheap it was here. Took her to Morrisons and she took a load of food home that's cheaper here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back