Sugar Tax kicks in 6th April

if i had to pay more for my insurance and still pay the ridiculous duty then i'd kick off. however, to answer your question, no, i wouldn't be less likely to smoke. in the same way that paying more because i play sports wouldn't put me off playing sports.
Suppose the biggest problem with taxing fags is people get snidey ones then still get free healthcare.

Suppose the biggest problem with taxing fags is people get snidey ones then still get free healthcare.
i get dip imported from the US, and bring ample tabs back from wherever when i travel. funnily enough, its generally more affluent people who go away more and can therefore avoid the duty charged on the tabs sold here, therefore meaning that poorer people will be getting hit more.

Same with sugar tax surely?
agree.

It is but for Norway the import tax makes anything imported very expensive.

Had a Norwegian lass staying with us last week who drank loads of Pepsi Max as its a special treat in Norway due to the cost and she couldn't believe how cheap it was here. Took her to Morrisons and she took a load of food home that's cheaper here.
Hope you didn't take her to the match.

How will this work in reality? Before getting on a train recently I could have popped into a normal shop a bought a 500ml bottle of Pepsi / Coke for £1.40 or wandered up to Poundland and bought 2 500ml bottles for a quid. If I'd decided I wanted a burger and fries from Burger King then the drink seems to be buttons extra. Will the 'sugar tax' even out these disparities? Otherwise, will it really have much impact?

How will this work in reality? Before getting on a train recently I could have popped into a normal shop a bought a 500ml bottle of Pepsi / Coke for £1.40 or wandered up to Poundland and bought 2 500ml bottles for a quid. If I'd decided I wanted a burger and fries from Burger King then the drink seems to be buttons extra. Will the 'sugar tax' even out these disparities? Otherwise, will it really have much impact?
on al of those transaction the seller would pay the tax. What they charge you is up to them.

People who have injuries playing sport cost us. Shall we tax sport?
If health services were in the bones of their arse because of, say, rugby related injuries there would be campaigns to get people to play alternative sports. If those campaigns didn't work you could eventually end up with a licence requirement to play with the money providing funding to either health services or alternative activities that mitigate the risk.

As it is diabetes is costing a bomb, diabetes is mainly due to obesity (you already know this). Taxing one of the main causes of obesity and putting that money into physical activity for children with the hope they are less likely to become fatties in the long run doesn't seem like a bad idea.

If health services were in the bones of their arse because of, say, rugby related injuries there would be campaigns to get people to play alternative sports. If those campaigns didn't work you could eventually end up with a licence requirement to play with the money providing funding to either health services or alternative activities that mitigate the risk.

As it is diabetes is costing a bomb, diabetes is mainly due to obesity (you already know this). Taxing one of the main causes of obesity and putting that money into physical activity for children with the hope they are less likely to become fatties in the long run doesn't seem like a bad idea.
'Ban tackling in school rugby' for safety

might be worth pointing out that in the US they wont let you play rugby (in my experience) unless you have insurance to cover you. i was gobsmacked!

I'm an old fashioned liberal who thinks people should make their own choices, even if they are terrible ones. Maybe we should just ban pop and processed food. Let people make choices, just give them less choices,

i get dip imported from the US, and bring ample tabs back from wherever when i travel. funnily enough, its generally more affluent people who go away more and can therefore avoid the duty charged on the tabs sold here, therefore meaning that poorer people will be getting hit more.

Generally more affluent people don’t smoke as much though.

Health damaging behaviours are all higher in people of lower income.

This is why I couldn’t care less if these taxes are regressive. The more regressive the better. That way they’re targeting the right people.

I'm an old fashioned liberal who thinks people should make their own choices, even if they are terrible ones. Maybe we should just ban pop and processed food. Let people make choices, just give them less choices,

Old fashioned liberalism is great if we have the money to fund the downsides.

Generally more affluent people don’t smoke as much though.

Health damaging behaviours are all higher in people of lower income.

This is why I couldn’t care less if these taxes are regressive. The more regressive the better. That way they’re targeting the right people.
why is that? is there a link between knowledge and wealth?

Back