Sugar Tax kicks in 6th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think we had a worse diet in 70's and 80's and no one was anywhere near as fat. I had a mars bar or something at least once a day and they were like f***ing scud missiles and I downed full sugar villa sasp by the bucket load.

The difference was we were a f***ing lot more active. We were never in the house from an early age playing on bikes or hide and seek and shit. When we were a bit older we would spend half the holidays in crowtree or playing footy on seaburn camp or fully field.

How about investing this sugar tax in decent f***ing leisure facilities and stop selling off playing fields to build houses. Oh and parents can help by encouraging their kids to get their chubby arses out of the house instead of wrapping the fat little fucks in cotton wool and walking them to school instead of driving.

After the sugar tax comes in, I will stop buying coke and switch to other fizzy drinks whom have readjusted their recipes so they don't get caught in it.

So my point is? The sugar tax should be understood more as an incentive for the soft drinks industry to become healthier, than a strict punishment of ordinary people.
Exactly.

I honestly think we had a worse diet in 70's and 80's and no one was anywhere near as fat. I had a mars bar or something at least once a day and they were like f***ing scud missiles and I downed full sugar villa sasp by the bucket load.

The difference was we were a f***ing lot more active. We were never in the house from an early age playing on bikes or hide and seek and shit. When we were a bit older we would spend half the holidays in crowtree or playing footy on seaburn camp or fully field.

How about investing this sugar tax in decent f***ing leisure facilities and stop selling off playing fields to build houses. Oh and parents can help by encouraging their kids to get their chubby arses out of the house instead of wrapping the fat little fucks in cotton wool and walking them to school instead of driving.
Its going to Education Dept to provide sports in schools, or so it was announced when chancellor introduced it in the Budget

After the sugar tax comes in, I will stop buying coke and switch to other fizzy drinks whom have readjusted their recipes so they don't get caught in it.

I like fizzy drinks, the tax annoys me, but I recognize it is an opportunity for innovation. It is an opportunity for the soft drinks industry to find healthier and more sustainable ways of delivering the same products, then people can enjoy it in ways which are less personally (health wise) and financially penalizing. For example, Irn Bru have changed their recipe and cut sugar by 50%. I know the jocks went off it, but that is a good innovation because it avoids the sugar tax. I had a new recipe irn bru a few days ago, I couldn't tell the difference.

As for Coke, the sugar tax will render it a rip off in terms of value for money. The 500ml bottle will go up to a base price of £1.40 and they're actually shrinking the larger bottles again... down to 1.5 litres whilst the price also goes up. Given that 2l previously become 1.75l, it's just another excuse at shrinkflation here. Time to say goodbye to coke, if they can't adapt their product to the new market conditions than let them suffer.

So my point is? The sugar tax should be understood more as an incentive for the soft drinks industry to become healthier, than a strict punishment of ordinary people.
To play devils advocate, coke did introduce the " green coke " which was sugar free and had an artificial sweetener which was supposed to be healthier than aspartame. i think it tasted the same as normal coke- regardless- it did not last two minutes.

To play devils advocate, coke did introduce the " green coke " which was sugar free and had an artificial sweetener which was supposed to be healthier than aspartame. i think it tasted the same as normal coke- regardless- it did not last two minutes.

What was the price difference?
Im pretty sure all coke is the same price currently. If a healthier one was cheaper, im sure it would sell better.

That green one was rank! It had a weird taste. Coke Zero tastes more like full sugar Coke.

How much is this going to add to the price of a bag of sugar?

The misplaced demonisation of fat by the do-gooders pushed us all into consuming more sugar.

I wonder what we'll discover about the sugar alternatives we'll now be steered towards by the do-gooders a decade from now? Will the artificial sweetness turn out to be worse still?

Last edited:
How much is this going to add to the price of a bag of sugar?

The misplaced demonisation of fat by the do-gooders pushed us all into consuming more sugar.

I wonder what we'll discover about the sugar alternatives we'll now be steered towards by the do-gooders a decade from now? Will the artificial sweetness turn out to be worse still?

Do-gooders are responsible for the highly developed, functioning society you enjoy today.

It was marketing tbh. They are well aware that people are still stupid enough to demonise aspartame so released an alternative

just tax food

High street breakfast pastries can contain as much fat as a fry-up, a Daily Mirror probe has found.

While a typical full English has 16 grams of saturated fat, so does Starbucks’ cheddar and mushroom croissant.

The coffee chain’s Luxury Fruit Toast is loaded with 39.4g of sugar per portion – more than a can of Coke.

And Costa’s chocolate twist croissant contains 27.7g of sugar.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/high-street-breakfast-pastries-bad-12060372

All butter pastry filled with cheese is high in fat? Who'd have thought it! Well done the Mirror for highlighting this.

I drink Diet Coke when having a fizzy soft drink.

No sugar so won’t affect the price and it allows me to take my vest off in public places for the lasses to swoon over!

You don’t know offenders won’t change. You suspect they won’t, and you might be right, but you can’t know unless you try.

I’ve never said an occasional kebab causes problems.

Thing is if it fails and nothing changes the tax will remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back