Stuttgart - Beer Festival

Morny

Striker
Off here in September for one of my mates stag dos, and as the best man trying to just sort a few things out and organise some stuff. Figured there'll have been some folk from here attended, so hoping for some advice on the below. Tried googling but sometimes hard to get to the bottom of it all through the million sites offering "package deals for stags" 🙄. Cheers in advance for any help

1) we've got a a tent booked for one of our days, but another we were thinking of winging it - basically seeing what we fancy doing and trying to get in without a booking and queuing a bit. This possible or bookings imperative?

2) do the tents just sell beer, or do any sell spirits or cider (some of the lads don't like beer)

3) I know it's a cliche but the groom wants us all to wear Lederhosen, anybody done this? Will we be okay just getting the cheap-ish ones from fancy dress sites or will we be expected to buy the proper stuff for the bigger price?

4) outside of the festival, any other recommendations for things to do, places to go/see in Stuttgart? There for three nights so plenty of time.

Just come back from there, but I've never been to the beer festival.

For other things to do, the Porsche museum and Mercedes Benz museum are both decent. And if you're there in September they have a decentish football team (VfB) so might be good crack going to see them.

As for traditional dress, the fancy dress stuff usually looks tacky and ridiculous. Theres enough people wear it to events like this for shops like C&A to give over half a floor to traditional German clothes. I'd buy some entry level gear in a big clothes shop once you get over there rather than buying fancy dress or paying top dollar for real leather lederhosen online.

My brother in law goes to it every year. I'll ask him for any tips.. he stays with friends.. meant to be good and not as raucous as munich.
So not wear lederhosen.

As wacky as it should be is matching loud shirts. . also makes it easier to spot each other in the crowds

Proper lederhosen is quite pricey too

Huge funfairs and lots of other things going on

Last edited:

For other things to do, the Porsche museum and Mercedes Benz museum are both decent. And if you're there in September they have a decentish football team (VfB) so might be good crack going to see them.

As for traditional dress, the fancy dress stuff usually looks tacky and ridiculous. Theres enough people wear it to events like this for shops like C&A to give over half a floor to traditional German clothes. I'd buy some entry level gear in a big clothes shop once you get over there rather than buying fancy dress or paying top dollar for real leather lederhosen online.
Cheers, yeah I know that's my fear about the fancy dress and being tacky. But don't fancy going to a group of lads and saying "we've got to fork out three-figures each for this outfit", hence the interest in it. Not sure if anywhere over here sells it in shops, never really paid attention to will watch out.
My brother in law goes to it every year. I'll ask him for any tips.. he stays with friends.. meant to be good and not as raucous as munich.
So not wear lederhosen.

As wacky as it should be is matching loud shirts. . also makes it easier to spot each other in the crowds

Proper lederhosen is quite pricey too

Huge funfairs and lots of other things going on
Yeah liked the idea of it not being as intense and insane busy as Munich, hence why asking if we'd be able to just grab a table without booking on day two, even if just daytime.

As for lederhosen, the groom is very keen on that type of idea so suspect we'll be going for it, even if it is just cheap shit, for the craic.

And aye the funfairs and all that look quality, the atmosphere of the whole thing looks class tbf.

Last edited:
Cheers, yeah I know that's my fear about the fancy dress and being tacky. But don't fancy going to a group of lads and saying "we've got to fork out three-figures each for this outfit", hence the interest in it. Not sure if anywhere over here sells it in shops, never really paid attention to will watch out.

Yeah liked the idea of it not being as intense and insane busy as Munich, hence why asking if we'd be able to just grab a table without booking on day two, even if just daytime.

As for lederhosen, the groom is very keen on that type of idea so suspect we'll be going for it, even if it is just cheap shit, for the craic.

And aye the funfairs and all that look quality, the atmosphere of the whole thing looks class tbf.

No culture please best man, just debauchery

As for VFB Stuttgart, it's bloody international weekend weekend so no top level games.

Stuttgart Kickers are playing, who are like 4th or 5th tier, so might do that on the Saturday.

Off here in September for one of my mates stag dos, and as the best man trying to just sort a few things out and organise some stuff. Figured there'll have been some folk from here attended, so hoping for some advice on the below. Tried googling but sometimes hard to get to the bottom of it all through the million sites offering "package deals for stags" 🙄. Cheers in advance for any help

1) we've got a a tent booked for one of our days, but another we were thinking of winging it - basically seeing what we fancy doing and trying to get in without a booking and queuing a bit. This possible or bookings imperative?

2) do the tents just sell beer, or do any sell spirits or cider (some of the lads don't like beer)

3) I know it's a cliche but the groom wants us all to wear Lederhosen, anybody done this? Will we be okay just getting the cheap-ish ones from fancy dress sites or will we be expected to buy the proper stuff for the bigger price?

4) outside of the festival, any other recommendations for things to do, places to go/see in Stuttgart? There for three nights so plenty of time.
You can wing it but best to book unless you are planning on going early in the morning and I mean 10am. We got in on the first night there but it was by sneaking past bouncers etc and not worth the hassle. Sunday a lot quieter so you can wing it.
There are smaller tents on the outskirts. Might get served but missing the atmosphere. Smaller tent shown below.
Logon or register to see this image

Larger tent at 1.30pm on Saturday.

There are a couple of other options but it is just beer in reality. Be amazed if you could get cider.
People who wore Lederhosen went for the proper stuff but most people don't bother.
We went to Stuttgart match but there is a massive fairground (it is a fair rather than a beer festival). The rides look terrifying until you've had a few beers. :lol:
Top tip is to look after the barmaids and they will keep you topped up.

Also try and avoid stopping in the house we did that had paintings of death camps on the walls along with photos of the owners Nazi relations.:eek:
I'll try and stick a video up of the atmosphere early on. It's a great place, we loved it but were wrecked by the Monday.
Video at 11.30am on Saturday.

Last edited:
You can wing it but best to book unless you are planning on going early in the morning and I mean 10am. We got in on the first night there but it was by sneaking past bouncers etc and not worth the hassle. Sunday a lot quieter so you can wing it.
There are smaller tents on the outskirts. Might get served but missing the atmosphere. Smaller tent shown below.

There are a couple of other options but it is just beer in reality. Be amazed if you could get cider.
People who wore Lederhosen went for the proper stuff but most people don't bother.
We went to Stuttgart match but there is a massive fairground (it is a fair rather than a beer festival). The rides look terrifying until you've had a few beers. :lol:

Also try and avoid stopping in the house we did that had paintings of death camps on the walls along with photos of the owners Nazi relations.:eek:
I'll try and stick a video up of the atmosphere early on. It's a great place, we loved it but were wrecked by the Monday.
Reported for posting a photo of a mag

Don‘t even think about a fancy dress type of lederhosen, the Germans take it very seriously. Get on Amazon and do it right.

I went the cheap route and regretted it straightaway.

Our group used an organiser for everyone rather than DIY .

We stayed near the football ground at

Which is about a couple of hundred yards away.

The older generation amongst us went to the Porsche museum on the Saturday morning and the Mercedes museum on the Sunday before we got picked up , both well worth a visit.

Cool, well we have a tent booked about 5ish onwards on the Friday so that's the Friday night sorted. The Saturday we will have to figure what we want to do - looking at different things (like Kickers game and other stuff) so might have to make a decision.

And cheers for the booze info, hopefully the few extra bits will include rum or spirits for the lad who doesn't drink beer.

That video seems class like, my cup of tea that type of atmosphere mind
I did it about 10 years ago, really good laugh! As long as you don’t mind being surrounded by busty German girls in milk maid outfits!
It's a cross I'll just have to bear.....
Don‘t even think about a fancy dress type of lederhosen, the Germans take it very seriously. Get on Amazon and do it right.

I went the cheap route and regretted it straightaway.

Our group used an organiser for everyone rather than DIY .

We stayed near the football ground at

Which is about a couple of hundred yards away.

The older generation amongst us went to the Porsche museum on the Saturday morning and the Mercedes museum on the Sunday before we got picked up , both well worth a visit.
Cool, defo seems like cheap and cheerful lederhosen ain't ideal. Oh well, will look to get it sorted soon then. Cheers for that info mate

Last edited:
It is just absolutely brilliant. Only downside is the mammoth hangover for 3/4 days afterwards

We considered Munich, but we heard brilliant things about Stuttgart - most things say it's just as amazing and great an experience, but not quite as heaving and packed, so we'd find it easier to get around and a bit cheaper to stay (still not cheap like).

So we're already all booked up flights and hotel wise, it's just a case of sorting out what to do whilst there at the moment.

We considered Munich, but we heard brilliant things about Stuttgart - most things say it's just as amazing and great an experience, but not quite as heaving and packed, so we'd find it easier to get around and a bit cheaper to stay (still not cheap like).

So we're already all booked up flights and hotel wise, it's just a case of sorting out what to do whilst there at the moment.
Sure it'll be a blast

Back