Stupid Names for Bairns - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
heard a new one tonight, Bluebell and they were shouting "Blue..Blue.....come here"...I was thinking surely that's not a name.

heard a new one tonight, Bluebell and they were shouting "Blue..Blue.....come here"...I was thinking surely that's not a name.
Ginger Spice called her daughter Bluebell. Similar to Hyacinth.

A friend of the wife's just called their new bairn Darwin, is that in vogue as well?
Should have posted: No, it's in the Northern Territory.

I'm so slow.

Last edited:
These yanks in particular love handing out surnames for first names!

It's ridiculous. Here's a quick look at some of the boy names in my 8 year old's 2nd grade class.
Mason, Landon, Cole, Vaughn, Lincoln, Spencer, Cruz, Bailey, Harlan, Carson, Griffin, Anderson and of course about 10 variations of Brayden.

Loads being called after grandparents though, think Ava, Ivy, Violet, Stan, Sidney and Arthur.

Lots of girls called Mabel now, right back in vogue.

Just had a look at my favourite telegraph birth announcements and it seems Coco and Wilfred (that was my late father in laws name ) are de riguer........on a side note my grandma was Mary Eleanor but got Nell which I love :cool:

Worst name i ever heard from an actual person I met was Chardonnay Mercedes Davenport.
Although the the one that made me chuckle the most was when i met a guy called Justin Case.

Just seen on twitter, one of our own has named their child "Roker Lee".
Now, I'm a MLF as I'm sure you all are, but isn't this going a tad far?

It would be like one of the Mags calling their kid "Saint James" (guarantee that's happened) or a smoggie calling their brood "Ayresome".

Each to their own like, but even I'd say that's bordering on child abuse.

HOWEVER. It may just get round my golden rule for naming a child.
He may very well be able to get a keyring with his name on it from a shop.

I was just saying a similar thing to my son, Ivor Ada Desnip only the other day.

Just had a look at my favourite telegraph birth announcements and it seems Coco and Wilfred (that was my late father in laws name ) are de riguer........on a side note my grandma was Mary Eleanor but got Nell which I love :cool:
I like Nell(e) too.

I had a great aunt Nelly when I was young, which obviously caused great mirth to the things it rhymed with for me my siblings and cousins.

Did you choose a name before she was born then have a change of heart to suit her?
All names chosen before birth but not the order.
A - a contemporary name ( co- incidentally an old family name), not high in the birth charts but did rise to about number ten in the five following years.
B. A very rare, and pretty name
C. A traditional, timeless name, well known but not over used.

Just wanted to give her choices should she want them.

Made up our minds after the birth of the order used. A had a better short form and B would likely have been pronounced and spelled wrong. Went A.

Years later it seems that A is a no no on the smb. Haha.

This thread has me paranoid of choosing two smb certified names
I chose one name that did girl or boy and stuck with it. Made life much easier. Kept it off here as don't wanna be ridiculed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back