Stupid Names for Bairns - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit off subject but reminds me many years ago a bloke in our office was sent to the airport to collect a visitor from Austria. He was give one of those cards to hold up at arrivals.

The guy was called Rudolf (Rudi) Wank (pronounced Vank) so he had to stand there with the card with R.Wank on it.

My Dad and Grandad were called Stan. Dad hated the name and yet called his first born Stan too! Not a lot of kids being called after their Dads/Mams these days - it would stop a lot of ridiculous names that's for sure.
Loads being called after grandparents though, think Ava, Ivy, Violet, Stan, Sidney and Arthur.

My mate just called his first born daughter Mabel, awful.
Lots of girls called Mabel now, right back in vogue.

My mate just called his first born daughter Mabel, awful.

Some names just scream 'Grandma' don't they?

Some lad on here had twins and named them Agnes and Edith or Phyllis and Madge or Maude and Marjorie or Dolly and Petunia or something ('hey up Petunia!')

I was getting a belt made recently and the lad in the shop, problies early forties, said his name was Browning. I just blurted out "Browning? That's your first name? Do you still speak to your parents?" These yanks in particular love handing out surnames for first names!

Some lad on here had twins and named them Agnes and Edith or Phyllis and Madge or Maude and Marjorie or Dolly and Petunia or something ('hey up Petunia!')

I was getting a belt made recently and the lad in the shop, problies early forties, said his name was Browning. I just blurted out "Browning? That's your first name? Do you still speak to your parents?" These yanks in particular love handing out surnames for first names!
Edith and Martha actually, I like old fashioned names and Edith was my Grandma. If I'd had lads it would've been Joseph (grandad) and Theodore (or Nathanial).

Loads being called after grandparents though, think Ava, Ivy, Violet, Stan, Sidney and Arthur.

Lots of girls called Mabel now, right back in vogue.

Exactly, she will be a laughing stock in school when Mabel is no longer in vogue.

that's a lovely name imo nice to see the old names returning my youngest grandaughter is called Betsy

It makes me think of a rotund old woman.

Finally, someone seeing sense.

Exactly, she will be a laughing stock in school when Mabel is no longer in vogue.

Those other Mabels will also be in school.

Just like Lindas will all be thinking about retiring soon. Not many will call their child Linda now, but it was an in vogue name back in the 50s so they grow old together.

Mabels will now be 80 ish or under 5.

Those other Mabels will also be in school.

Just like Lindas will all be thinking about retiring soon. Not many will call their child Linda now, but it was an in vogue name back in the 50s so they grow old together.

Mabels will now be 80 ish or under 5.

A friend of the wife's just called their new bairn Darwin, is that in vogue as well?

First born was called Lukas, neither of them are Eastern European.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back