Stupid bairns names

Status
Not open for further replies.

The fashion for kids names is strange, Although now no longer popular "Harold" was almost unkown untill the late C19th and "Darren" was an invented name made popular in the "Bewitched" comedy show in the early 1960's
Almost unknown? You mean part from that lad that died at the Battle of Hastings, who was actually King Harold II so there was another one before him!

Unless of course you meant the late 9th century instead of 19th!

Almost unknown? You mean part from that lad that died at the Battle of Hastings, who was actually King Harold II so there was another one before him!

Unless of course you meant the late 9th century instead of 19th!
No I don't mean that at all I mean that although it was previously in use the name "Harold" became disused after C11th and was not revived until the C19th. It would have for many years have been considered to be a very alien name . If you consider that Harold Godwinson's (King Harold) brother was called Tostig (who played an important role in the run up to Hastings) you might get an idea of how strange these Anglo Saxon names would have sounded. Owing to its revival the name "Harold" now sounds quite common place to our ears but it had been largely unused for many centuaries. Imagine if you will someone calling their son Tostig today?

Well it's been 2 weeks since this raised its head.

Someone came in today and their daughter's name is....
Ocean.

That good people, is child abuse.

Well it's been 2 weeks since this raised its head.

Someone came in today and their daughter's name is....
Ocean.

That good people, is child abuse.

There is a boy plays football against my youngest called Ocean...or shortened to Oshe! Seems it works with boys and girls. I once had a student called Ocean Miao and a Snow Huang. Ocean and Snow being their adopted English names that their first English teacher told them to choose.

There is a boy plays football against my youngest called Ocean...or shortened to Oshe! Seems it works with boys and girls. I once had a student called Ocean Miao and a Snow Huang. Ocean and Snow being their adopted English names that their first English teacher told them to choose.

This kid was not like those children. Not even close. And no, it doesn't work, it's a body of water FFS, not a kid's name

Also @nyron4england did you have any Cantonese in your year at BCS who had chosen English names? We had a few in ours. I think the one who came off best was probably Sunny.

When my wife worked at the childrens hospital here she had many kids with bizarre names admitted she had one girl called Ah Sho Lee but spelled Asshole andother caleed dashay but spelled -A And one galled called shi thead

All hood rats of course

When my wife worked at the childrens hospital here she had many kids with bizarre names admitted she had one girl called Ah Sho Lee but spelled Asshole andother caleed dashay but spelled -A And one galled called shi thead

All hood rats of course

Where the hell was this children's hospital?!

This kid was not like those children. Not even close. And no, it doesn't work, it's a body of water FFS, not a kid's name

Also @nyron4england did you have any Cantonese in your year at BCS who had chosen English names? We had a few in ours. I think the one who came off best was probably Sunny.
some of them were amusing. the combination of a western name with an oriental surname was unusual to say the least. my favourite was Kevin Po :lol: they used to pick one before they came over IIRC

Keegan . Stupid name . Wonder when the named their kids Keegan it was before he walked away . Not once but twice the melt. I would love it if we blew a 12 point lead to Manchester United . LOVE IT.

some of them were amusing. the combination of a western name with an oriental surname was unusual to say the least. my favourite was Kevin Po :lol: they used to pick one before they came over IIRC

To be fair to them, they would have had very little frame of reference as to whether a British name is still in popular use. That’s why you would get a lot of youngish people from there called Mildred, Fanny and Godfrey

It's Oisin... an old Irish name.

Not here it ain't. It was Ocean.

Bless him. Kevin. Poor sod.
We had a Winnie Wong, Stanley and Victor that I can remember.

Little Rock Arkansas...all the kids were black
I see.
Some shockers there mind. What is it with DeBryan or whatnot. Putting De in front of their name.
DeMarcus and so on.
What's all that about?

Also the -A (Dashay) is absolutely awful

It's Oisin... an old Irish name.

Roisin I've heard of.
Some pronounce it "Rosheen" and others "Roysin"

Odin's alright. Proper name, not some made up shite.

My big gripe is they then give you grief if you pronounce or spell them wrong :evil:

Now't wrong with them. All have been used for a very long time now.
However:

1- Jayden

2- Macy

3- Jace (10)

4- Kyba (10)

5- Joeylynn

6- Jennavecia

7- Kennette

8- Maleah

9- Joshalyn

10- Sheriza

11- Tyndell

12- Journey

13- Aerabella

14- Affinity

- See more at: JM's Top 100 Made-Up Baby Names | www.justmommies.com
:lol:

It’s going to get to the point where it’s impossible to distinguish between a list of popular names for kids and a classic Donington line up

Rainbow
Saxon
Whitesnake
Gillan
Anvil
Dio
Magnum

It’s going to get to the point where it’s impossible to distinguish between a list of popular names for kids and a classic Donington line up

Rainbow
Saxon
Whitesnake
Gillan
Anvil
Dio
Magnum

Friend of a friend kids' names include Jayden, Rain, Autumn and Phoenix.
Can't remember what the other 2 are called. Yes they have 6.
Should fix the TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back