Stress and anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of years ago was on the net and stumbled accross something very simple. Stress = not have solutions to problems. I put a note on my desk at work..in code..and every time I felt it, identified the problem and tried to do something about it. Simple but effective
Mmm.. Not the best reference to stress I have ever heard. It validates the position that one can only feel good when all problems are solved (it also intrinsically creates and proliferates a notion of "problems" and some people hate problems) . While it's obviously good and indeed occasionally physically vital to problem solve where one can (and well done you for getting your shit in gear ) , the notion that stress and anxiety has external solutions is very harmful. What happens when the problem can't be fixed like illness, loss or the behaviours of others who won't /can't change ?
It's far better to recognise stress for what it is, a bodily/mental reaction to a perception. Stress only exists internally everything else is just an external physical event.
We can see this even at point of death one person dies peacefully with acceptance another uncomfortably raging about concepts like justice and value.
Problem solve what we can but own the stress reaction as personally mediated as a starting point is my advice.

Thanks for that...I looked up online and just wondered if anybody had any experience of the effects of drink. The experts are always too cautious and take any excuse to warn you off the demon drink!

Cbd? No effect with alcohol.
Sertraline. In first few weeks when side effects were happening seemed to get drunk quicker and get tired. Was fine after that

Sertraline. In first few weeks when side effects were happening seemed to get drunk quicker and get tired. Was fine after that
Thanks for that...it was mainly the Sertraline I was concerned about. There is so little strength in over the counter CBD I can't feel any effects at all.

Was the tiredness with sertraline just when drinking? Ive been on it for 3 weeks, first week 50mg then 100mg since and I am knackered all the time. Its helped massively with the anxiety though so will continue on it.

Was the tiredness with sertraline just when drinking? Ive been on it for 3 weeks, first week 50mg then 100mg since and I am knackered all the time. Its helped massively with the anxiety though so will continue on it.

Yeah about a month of tiredness then that got better. Think it is a pretty common side effect

Mmm.. Not the best reference to stress I have ever heard. It validates the position that one can only feel good when all problems are solved (it also intrinsically creates and proliferates a notion of "problems" and some people hate problems) . While it's obviously good and indeed occasionally physically vital to problem solve where one can (and well done you for getting your shit in gear ) , the notion that stress and anxiety has external solutions is very harmful. What happens when the problem can't be fixed like illness, loss or the behaviours of others who won't /can't change ?
It's far better to recognise stress for what it is, a bodily/mental reaction to a perception. Stress only exists internally everything else is just an external physical event.
We can see this even at point of death one person dies peacefully with acceptance another uncomfortably raging about concepts like justice and value.
Problem solve what we can but own the stress reaction as personally mediated as a starting point is my advice.

Agreed. Vastly over simplified, especially when you can't fundamentally do something about some stuff and I've been there. But it can work for mild stressors where you need to work yourself out of a slump but just need to find the right mindset

I’m being phased back into work after a month off which started with acute anxiety.

Much much better now although the anxiety is up again today with work looming.

Have to grit teeth and get over the hurdle and see how it goes from there.

Will go for a good walk later to calm things down a bit.

How you doing now fella?

Not great truth be told. Had a couple of acceptable days since the episode the other week but in the main it’s been a struggle. Finally managed to build up the courage to phone for counselling again. Havethe screening again tomorrow. Will probably be on a massive waiting list but it’s a ball rolling I guess. Got an anxiety workbook to work through as well which I’m going to start next week. I’d start it now but it’s moving day on Saturday so this week is just chaos and complete meltdown central so would skew any initial progress. I’ve managed a couple of walks to gain some sense of exercise as I’m in complete avoidance mode of strenuous stuff at the minute. Definitely the most challengingly period of my life - which is silly because when I get those odd days or hours of reprieve I sit back and think “it’s not the end of the world” the stuff I’m going through and that there’s people in hell of a lot worse positions so then that works against me because I guilt myself for feeling like this :lol: (have to laugh or you’d cry) such a vicious cycle.

Anyone see that ‘Rebuilding’ interview with Jack Ross? He doesn’t outwardly say it but I suspect he struggles, or has struggled, with anxiety.

Mentions that he’s a chronic over thinker which he sees as good and bad. His ‘Great Leap Forward’ came late in his playing career when he started learning how to manage that. Referenced The Chimp Paradox book I’m a big fan of as well.

Not great truth be told. Had a couple of acceptable days since the episode the other week but in the main it’s been a struggle. Finally managed to build up the courage to phone for counselling again. Havethe screening again tomorrow. Will probably be on a massive waiting list but it’s a ball rolling I guess. Got an anxiety workbook to work through as well which I’m going to start next week. I’d start it now but it’s moving day on Saturday so this week is just chaos and complete meltdown central so would skew any initial progress. I’ve managed a couple of walks to gain some sense of exercise as I’m in complete avoidance mode of strenuous stuff at the minute. Definitely the most challengingly period of my life - which is silly because when I get those odd days or hours of reprieve I sit back and think “it’s not the end of the world” the stuff I’m going through and that there’s people in hell of a lot worse positions so then that works against me because I guilt myself for feeling like this :lol: (have to laugh or you’d cry) such a vicious cycle.
Hang on in there and kept going. You might get lucky with the counselling - referral to first session was two weeks for me, yes NHS. Depends on your area I suppose. We’re always here if you want talk or vent or need moral support- you’re not alone in this, we’re with you every step.

Couple of years ago was on the net and stumbled accross something very simple. Stress = not have solutions to problems. I put a note on my desk at work..in code..and every time I felt it, identified the problem and tried to do something about it. Simple but effective

There is always a solution, some don't even look for it.

Not read thrpugh this just yet, has anyone tried accupuncture for this? Did anybody get good a good result from it?

Anyone see that ‘Rebuilding’ interview with Jack Ross? He doesn’t outwardly say it but I suspect he struggles, or has struggled, with anxiety.

Mentions that he’s a chronic over thinker which he sees as good and bad. His ‘Great Leap Forward’ came late in his playing career when he started learning how to manage that. Referenced The Chimp Paradox book I’m a big fan of as well.

I’ve got this myself but it’s a bit of a tough read. I’m about half way through it. So far it’s probably alerted me to think before I speak. Obviously when you’re stressed out or having an attack or something you can sometimes be snappy at people who are only trying to help so it has educated me in the “is it me or the chimp?” mindset.

Hang on in there and kept going. You might get lucky with the counselling - referral to first session was two weeks for me, yes NHS. Depends on your area I suppose. We’re always here if you want talk or vent or need moral support- you’re not alone in this, we’re with you every step.

Thanks. Honestly really appreciate it from everyone who has taken a consideration towards my post. I’m already anticipating a very high score on the old GAD questionnaire tomorrow so it might alert them to bump me up the order. Think my main concern is the fact it’s clearly crept into depression this time which is all new to me and obviously scary with some of the thoughts and feelings it brings. Which in turn are triggering further panic attacks. Pretty much back to having them daily again, no pattern to them, day or night they’re not particular. Just exhausting at the minute. The little bits of relief I’m getting from speaking and opening up on platforms such as this are helping a little. Just hoping once I’m moved in and sorted, have spoken to a counsellor, continued with this thread and get into my book that things will pick up. Like I said in my initial post; you don’t realise how far you have come until you relapse with it all. Been a big eye opener.

This is a decent distraction I find
Try things that raise serotonin levels and make you feel more relaxed- works for me:-
- Sport ( I find swimming and sauna gives me quite a high)
- Reading - if you can get immersed in a good book it takes your mind off stuff.
- conversation with Good mates (although these days I like to limit the booze on these occaisions
- Meditation
- Strong coffee - seems not to be intuitive but it does actually raise the happy bits in the brain for a good few hours.

I’ve got this myself but it’s a bit of a tough read. I’m about half way through it. So far it’s probably alerted me to think before I speak. Obviously when you’re stressed out or having an attack or something you can sometimes be snappy at people who are only trying to help so it has educated me in the “is it me or the chimp?” mindset.

Thanks. Honestly really appreciate it from everyone who has taken a consideration towards my post. I’m already anticipating a very high score on the old GAD questionnaire tomorrow so it might alert them to bump me up the order. Think my main concern is the fact it’s clearly crept into depression this time which is all new to me and obviously scary with some of the thoughts and feelings it brings. Which in turn are triggering further panic attacks. Pretty much back to having them daily again, no pattern to them, day or night they’re not particular. Just exhausting at the minute. The little bits of relief I’m getting from speaking and opening up on platforms such as this are helping a little. Just hoping once I’m moved in and sorted, have spoken to a counsellor, continued with this thread and get into my book that things will pick up. Like I said in my initial post; you don’t realise how far you have come until you relapse with it all. Been a big eye opener.
The Samaritans are also amazing. They're there any time, day or night, for anyone who just wants to talk, i.e. not just for people who are feeling truly desperate. I would often phone for a chat at dark times (and I was, thank God, never suicidal) - it really helped.

Good luck tomorrow. If it helps try and visualise all of us on this thread, there with you, willing you on xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back