Stotty Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Hosselhaff said:
Paddy O'Dors said:
I also used to hear them called a fadge when I was younger. Anyone else heard this term used?

Yes, just not in a stotty cake context ;)

Same here... althoug I would expect my fadge to be a bit fish pastey if it was a bread filler :wink:

MACKEM ANGELS said:
Herts said:
Bloody Waitrose in my local town has a section of breads from all over the world. Really canny like cos I love bread. But it has nee stotty cake which, as that is the best bloody bread in the whole world, is a feckin disgrace. I am so appalled I can't bring myself to go shopping very often and so our lass has to do it.
Well if I'm allowed leave of absence from the Harbour View I could pick some up in Greggs en route to SoL on Sarrada and divvy 'em out at the match. Or mebbes not....might look a bit suspicious trying to get through the turnstiles with armfuls of regional bread :wink: Could make it a new goal celebration - wave yer stotties when we score :lol:

MA do me a favour please

Pop round the corner to number 6 bede street with a ham and pease pudding stottie and ask my mum or dad to send me one out....

Thanks..

Oh and if anyone knows recipes for pease pudding or stotties please let me know....

My Mam`s fadges were smaller in diameter but thicker than stotties
and put in a round cake tin before going into the oven.

Ambrosia!!!!

njmackem said:
Oh and if anyone knows recipes for pease pudding or stotties please let me know....

1 lb (454gm) Green and Yellow Split Peas
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Rasher Bacon, chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Butter
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Soak the peas overnight, then drain well.
Place the peas in a saucepan and adding the onion, bacon and seasoning.
Add water enough to reach ½in (12mm) above the peas.
Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 2 to 2½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Just before serving add the butter and Worcestershire the sauce.
Pease Pudding should have a puree consistency and if too loose raise the heat to reduce the moisture.

http://thefoody.com/vegetable/peasepudding2.html

STOTTIE CAKE....

Ingredients:

2lbs strong plain flour
3 level tsp. salt
3 oz. margarine
1½ oz fresh yeast or 3 level tsp. dried yeast
1 tsp. sugar
½ pint tepid water - (not too hot)
½ pint milk
This makes 3 1/4 lbs of risen dough. The quantity of the liquid differs according to the elasticity of the dough, it has to be firm but pliable, not too stiff.

Preparation:

1. Mix the flour and salt together and rub in the margarine.

2. Mix the yeast and sugar into the water, stirring until the yeast dissolves: If you use dry yeast mix the yeast and sugar into the water and leave until the yeast has dissolved and frothing.

3. Make a little hole in the centre of the flour and add the water stirring with your hands working into a firm dough.

4. Knead well until the dough is smooth and shiny. If the dough is a little soft more flour may be added, kneading (up to 2 oz.) but it is
difficult to add water if the dough is too firm so just sprinkle the extra flour if needed.

5. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and shiny.

6. Lightly grease a dish and place dough in it, cover with a tea-towel and leave to rise in a warm place until it is twice the size, or you could put it in a large plastic bag.

7. When risen turn onto floured board and knead lightly to let out the air and to make the dough pliable again. Cut the sizes of dough to the size of the flatties you want. Put a hole in the middle of the flattie after rolling it out to the size and depth you want and with a fork make a few stabs, (not too many) place them on a baking sheet and put in oven near the top. Bake at 425°F or gas 220°C. for 12 to 15 minutes. It may take a little longer but don't leave in too long. Test with a fork - if it comes out clean - they're done!

http://www.mg002b3988.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/leeks.htm

David Hosselhaff said:
Stot is the finest verb never to make the Oxford English dictionary. We should campaign to get it in the next edition
It's in mine.

MACKEM ANGELS said:
njmackem said:

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Rasher Bacon, chopped
1 tbsp Butter

Pease Pudding should have a puree consistency and if too loose raise the heat to reduce the moisture.

STOTTIE CAKE....

Ingredients:

2lbs strong plain flour
3 level tsp. salt
3 oz. margarine
1 tsp. sugar
½ pint milk
This makes 3 1/4 lbs of risen dough. The quantity of the liquid differs according to the elasticity of the dough, it has to be firm but pliable, not too stiff.

Preparation:

2. Mix the yeast and sugar into the water, stirring until the yeast dissolves: If you use dry yeast mix the yeast and sugar into the water and leave until the yeast has dissolved and frothing.

3. Make a little hole in the centre of the flour and add the water stirring with your hands working into a firm dough.

4. Knead well until the dough is smooth and shiny. If the dough is a little soft more flour may be added, kneading (up to 2 oz.) but it is
difficult to add water if the dough is too firm so just sprinkle the extra flour if needed.

5. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and shiny.

6. Lightly grease a dish and place dough in it, cover with a tea-towel and leave to rise in a warm place until it is twice the size, or you could put it in a large plastic bag.

7. When risen turn onto floured board and knead lightly to let out the air and to make the dough pliable again. Cut the sizes of dough to the size of the flatties you want. Put a hole in the middle of the flattie after rolling it out to the size and depth you want and with a fork make a few stabs, (not too many) place them on a baking sheet and put in oven near the top. Bake at 425°F or gas 220°C. for 12 to 15 minutes. It may take a little longer but don't leave in too long. Test with a fork - if it comes out clean - they're done!

you utter, utter LEGEND!!!

MACKEM ANGELS said:
njmackem said:

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Rasher Bacon, chopped
1 tbsp Butter

STOTTIE CAKE....

Ingredients:

2lbs strong plain flour
3 level tsp. salt
3 oz. margarine
1 tsp. sugar
½ pint milk

Preparation:

When I worked on Team Valley I used to go to the massive Safeways to buy their freshly baked stotties/mini stotties with freshly roasted chicken from the deli counter...God I miss stottie... don't have them in Barrow. Tesco have 'oven bottom' buns but they're cr*p. Can get pease pudding here in Morrisons. The lass behind the deli counter didn't know what you did with it :eek: I tried to get her versed in the ways of the ham and pease pudding sandwich but she wasn't having it :(

Cheese savoury exists in the Greggs here but again not in a stottie :(

Just thought I'd share that with you and now I'm starving.

JonnotheMackem said:
MACKEM ANGELS said:
njmackem said:

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Rasher Bacon, chopped
1 tbsp Butter

STOTTIE CAKE....

Ingredients:

2lbs strong plain flour
3 level tsp. salt
3 oz. margarine
1 tsp. sugar
½ pint milk

Preparation:

Without doubt - you Mackem Angel gets my vote for

International Woman of the Year

Now to go buy my ingredients....

njmackem said:
JonnotheMackem said:
MACKEM ANGELS said:
njmackem said:

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Rasher Bacon, chopped
1 tbsp Butter

STOTTIE CAKE....

Ingredients:

2lbs strong plain flour
3 level tsp. salt
3 oz. margarine
1 tsp. sugar
½ pint milk

Preparation:

Without doubt - you Mackem Angel gets my vote for

International Woman of the Year

Now to go buy my ingredients....
international, for that one she deserves galaxial.

Paddy O'Dors said:
I also used to hear them called a fadge when I was younger. Anyone else heard this term used?

Asked the woman assistant in Greggs on Gosforth High Street if she had a warm fadge. Amazingly she replied, 'I have pet, it's reed hot at the back o' here, ahm sweatin' like mad, now daddya want?' :eek:

Right. Now yiz have aaaaaall got the recipe for stotty and pease pud, some bugger get some ready and have it waiting at turnstile 4 at 2.55 on Sarrada, I'll pick it up when I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back