Stotty Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.
WBM said:
Is it true that they're called stotty cakes cos you have to stott them off the deck when you're neading them??? :? I have I just made that up??? :?

oddly enough i read the explantion on the wall in greegs yesterday

yes i know....... :wink:

anyhoo, the stotty was made with the left over doe the baker had aftrer putting the loafs into tins for baking

a flat disk of leftover doe was placed on the oven floor and baked

this didnt rise like the loaves and therefore would not "stott" or bounce

seemingly this was a way of checking the bread was baked correctly

:?

bobby shinton said:
WBM said:
Is it true that they're called stotty cakes cos you have to stott them off the deck when you're neading them??? :? I have I just made that up??? :?

oddly enough i read the explantion on the wall in greegs yesterday

yes i know....... :wink:

anyhoo, the stotty was made with the left over doe the baker had aftrer putting the loafs into tins for baking

a flat disk of leftover doe was placed on the oven floor and baked

this didnt rise like the loaves and therefore would not "stott" or bounce

seemingly this was a way of checking the bread was baked correctly

:?

Stot is the finest verb never to make the Oxford English dictionary. We should campaign to get it in the next edition

Bacon, Egg and Brown Sauce.

Can you believe that you don't get cheese savoury down south!! :eek:

The Jolly Fisherman in Craster serves Stottie cake pizza, it's toasted stotties with pizza topping and pepperoni. Bloody lovely.

Confucius said:
bobby shinton said:
a breakfast 'belly buster' stotty from the hill cafe on westgate road

a hollowed stotty filled with bacon, sausage , mushroom, egg , beans and black pud

liberally smothered with tom sauce

you know it makes sense :wink:

I'd hate to have to carry that basdad if it can bust bellies in Newcastle :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody Waitrose in my local town has a section of breads from all over the world. Really canny like cos I love bread. But it has nee stotty cake which, as that is the best bloody bread in the whole world, is a feckin disgrace. I am so appalled I can't bring myself to go shopping very often and so our lass has to do it.

And while I am on - who the feck is eating all the ham and peas pudding stotties in the Harbour View? I get there about 1 and they always still had some but the last couple of times they've sold out. For Brighton match on satda can the HV regulars please limit themselves to one Ham and Peas Pudding stotty each please.

Paddy O'Dors said:
I also used to hear them called a fadge when I was younger. Anyone else heard this term used?

My mam used to work in a bakery before she had us kids - had a discussion with her when I was back in Gods country recently, "are stotties and flatties the same thing?" She reckons stotties and flatties are different, and fadges are different again. Stotties rise slightly more than flatties, and fadges rise a bit more again.

Ish.

Herts said:
Bloody Waitrose in my local town has a section of breads from all over the world. Really canny like cos I love bread. But it has nee stotty cake which, as that is the best bloody bread in the whole world, is a feckin disgrace. I am so appalled I can't bring myself to go shopping very often and so our lass has to do it.

And while I am on - who the feck is eating all the ham and peas pudding stotties in the Harbour View? I get there about 1 and they always still had some but the last couple of times they've sold out. For Brighton match on satda can the HV regulars please limit themselves to one Ham and Peas Pudding stotty each please.

nip down the road to the Derby, they always have plenty unless ned_werby's in of course :lol:

Mean Machine 1981 said:
Just got back from Greggs nice egg and bacon with tomate relish lush!!

How jealous are you lot

Not at all - how can you put tomato sauce/relish on a feckin egg?????? :eek:

BROWN SAUCE SON, BROWN SAUCE.

Herts said:
Well if I'm allowed leave of absence from the Harbour View I could pick some up in Greggs en route to SoL on Sarrada and divvy 'em out at the match. Or mebbes not....might look a bit suspicious trying to get through the turnstiles with armfuls of regional bread :wink: Could make it a new goal celebration - wave yer stotties when we score :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back