Stokes Family Abused

I have no idea what the story is about and have no inclination to either. I read Ben's response on the BBC Sport website, though, which also mentioned The Sun saying it was public record. So if it's already out there, there's absolutely no need to muck rake, voyeurs can find out without their reader grubbing, shitstirring brand of scum journalism.

I hope Ben finds who harangued his mother, in particular, and see how much they would enjoy having their privacy involuntarily invaded to the point of intimidation.
To be fair, she will have already suffered all that 31 years ago.

Disgraceful.

Being vindictive, if I had the money and was the subject of this type of "reporting", I would hire people to dredge up dirt on the reporters/editor and put it in the public domain. Live by the sword etc.

I've always thought this, given the number of people the tabloids monster who are pretty wealthy people.

Hire some good professional security people. Pick two or three offending journalists, sub-editors etc. Have your people follow/bin-scavenge/rake all over their lives/pay people for into, turn up their mistresses, visits to prostitutes who run a spanking dungeon, association with shady criminals, the exchange with their coke-dealer, their fiddled expenses, rolling into their car obviously drunk, then put it all on Youtube and print off photos and deliver them to their spouse and everyone on their street, and provide evidence of anything criminal to the police. Pick another two or three, rinse, repeat.

If you'd been done over by them, it would feel like great sport.

I've always thought this, given the number of people the tabloids monster who are pretty wealthy people.

Hire some good professional security people. Pick two or three offending journalists, sub-editors etc. Have your people follow/bin-scavenge/rake all over their lives/pay people for into, turn up their mistresses, visits to prostitutes who run a spanking dungeon, association with shady criminals, the exchange with their coke-dealer, their fiddled expenses, rolling into their car obviously drunk, then put it all on Youtube and print off photos and deliver them to their spouse and everyone on their street, and provide evidence of anything criminal to the police. Pick another two or three, rinse, repeat.

If you'd been done over by them, it would feel like great sport.

Reminds me of Sachin Nakrani :lol:.

Bizarrely, he kept his job :rolleyes:.

Don't normally agree with scousers.. But DON'T BUY THE SCUN....it's a nasty Tory working classing hating rag..yuk yuk yuk...

Annoys the fuck out of me when you see people in the NE without a pot to piss in, buying that toilet paper.
What's the score with this one? Not aware of it. The Guardian football bloke?

Last edited:
Andy Murray has talked about it, hows it the same?

Mate your view on this is pretty bizarre like.
I guess I'm saying two things.

1. this is like the story of the grasshopper and the scorpion. Journalists are the scorpion - and if you know the story you'll get what I mean.
2. there's not much can be done about it, if we are to have journalists, and a free press is important.

I suppose life is messy and always will be.

oh, and my sympathy is 100% with Ben's mother.

That’s f***ing pathetic.

9 lines, 3 paragraphs. That’s all he could manage? Such a mealy mouthed, half arsed, meaningless statement.

It’s easy to deduce from that, they don’t want to ‘upset’ their paymasters. Wouldn’t surprise me if the people behind The Scum are the same people involved at the ECB.

#FTECB
"Don't want to upset their paymasters" - spot on

TIn hat firmly on, but I think this is more complicated than people are making out.

I'm not going to defend the way the Sun goes about journalism. The tone of their reporting is always sensationalist and unacceptable - and I know a bit about how they operate. They will, as Stokes implied, have gone about hounding his mother and family for comment. That is, as he says, the absolute lowest of the low.

Where I think this is more complicated is that this is definitely news. I am afraid to say I have looked at the non-Sun reporting of it (most of which has been taken down) and it is absolutely newsworthy - and could almost certainly have been found out by anyone in New Zealand with Google alone i.e. absolutely no need to hound his family. It is actually such a huge story its remarkable it hasn't come out before.

Stokes's line is that his family have a right to privacy. They certainly have a right to not be bothered. But where is the line on stories like this? If it were a politician or a celebrity that nobody has particular affinity to on here then everybody would deem the reporting of the mere facts (i.e. not the houding) as fair game if not outright public interest. And what about non celebrities who do not, as Stokes does, have the privileged position of lawyers and fame to stop life events like this being reported? What are the limits of the public's right to know stuff? I think this genuinely gets to the messy middle point of these type of conversations, where it's not clear either way.

I honestly don't know. If he has a right to this kind of privacy then we need to rethink the way society operates and we all behave. Maybe we should, but we are all guilty of intruding on stuff like this - even the way we go on about Sunderland players.
Couldn't agree less with this.
I was speculating that if it was a politician then everybody would say it was public interest, I did not say it was public interest.
Or this.

Last edited:

Back