Stokes and Hales charged by ECB

He’s already been punished!!! Just tell him to apologize then it’s over

Dragging this on is farcical and I’m struggling to comprehend how many anyone can agree with it

It’s already over, nobody cares, now the ECB bring it back to the news and set a date for 2 months away

Beyond belief that organization

Fair point

Well yeah nobody wants this to drag on, and if he apologises fair enough, the bigger picture is not necessarily punishing him, but showing a message to kids at the public that top international crickerters cannot be seen to behave like that.

He’s already been punished!!!!!

Yeah he has I don't necessarily want to see him punished anymore and like I said in my very first post tonight, hope if they is any punishment it not too harsh.

However the ECB have to be seen as the organisation of the sport to send a message out they really do.

Last edited:

That attitude always puzzles me as well, he is playing for his country not the ECB, doing that would only hurt England supporters who have spent their hard earned money to go watch the England team.

Stokes plays for England not the ECB.

Just take his punishment like a man and get on with it, all of us want to see him play for England.
He's taken a punishment and has been found not guilty. England supporters would back Stokes if he told the ECB to sod off 100%. It would humiliate the ECB big time and show them up for what they are. Incompetent arseholes

He's taken a punishment and has been found not guilty. England supporters would back Stokes if he told the ECB to sod off 100%. It would humiliate the ECB big time and show them up for what they are. Incompetent arseholes

No they wouldn't because they not that childish and small minded.

Because by telling the ECB to sod off he would be turning his back on his country,and letting them loyal supporters down

Fans realise playing for your country is a privilege and pleasure and representing your country is the biggest honour you can get as a sportsman.

England supporters get that, that's why they travel all over the world supporting their country and realise that's much more important than some petty argument with the ECB

Besides who cares about the ECB and whether humiliated or anything else, I could not care less about the ECB.

Last edited:
The ECB have to have a separate process and I don't think they will grandstand or make him miss any more games.

They couldn't do anything before the trial took place for fear of prejudicing the case, they had their hands tied on that timing. 3 months from now is a joke.

But he’s already been ‘punished’ by the ECB by missing the ashes, for a ‘crime’ he was found not guilty of

No they wouldn't because they not that childish and small minded.

Because by telling the ECB to sod off he would be turning his back on his country,and letting them loyal supporters down

Fans realise playing for your country is a privilege and pleasure and representing your country is the biggest honour you can get as a sportsman.

England supporters get that, that's why they travel all over the world supporting their country and realise that's much more important than some petty argument with the ECB

Besides who cares about the ECB and whether humiliated or anything else, I could not care less about the ECB.
Playing for England at the moment seems nowt but a hassle for Stokes. His employer is taking the piss out of him. I'd not tolerate that. He could continue to make a fortune hassle free elsewhere. IPL paid his his nice house in Castle Eden for example

Let’s be clear on a couple of things.

- he hasn’t already been punished. He was suspended awaiting trial. Punishment is not the same

- the court ruling has absolutely zero to do with his standing in the game. A not guilty verdict in a criminal trial does not equal no wrongdoing

People can argue about the ECB, they are generally right that the ECB are incompetent. But the ECB are not to blame for Ben Stokes getting pissed up and getting in a fight. Ben Stokes is at fault for that.

He’s a quality cricketer. He isn’t a saint. And his quality as a cricketer doesn’t absolve him of other responsibilities

Let’s be clear on a couple of things.

- he hasn’t already been punished. He was suspended awaiting trial. Punishment is not the same

- the court ruling has absolutely zero to do with his standing in the game. A not guilty verdict in a criminal trial does not equal no wrongdoing

People can argue about the ECB, they are generally right that the ECB are incompetent. But the ECB are not to blame for Ben Stokes getting pissed up and getting in a fight. Ben Stokes is at fault for that.

He’s a quality cricketer. He isn’t a saint. And his quality as a cricketer doesn’t absolve him of other responsibilities
So why wait until now to deal with it? Oh that's right they needed him to help win a series vs India. Incompetent arseholes, rotten from top to bottom.

Well yeah nobody wants this to drag on, and if he apologises fair enough, the bigger picture is not necessarily punishing him, but showing a message to kids at the public that top international crickerters cannot be seen to behave like that.

Ok. I don't necessarily agree but. I accept sportsmen will have something in their contract about 'not bringing the game into disrepute' however ill-defined that concept is. But, they needn't make a song and dance about it. The board of the ECB can convene itself as a disciplinary panel and decide on a reprimand but no further action and write to Stokes saying that, unless he wants to appeal.

Remember he has already spoken of his sorrow.

But I can't see how any further punishment is helpful. Will persuade anyone any further not to get involved more than the proceedings have already done. And I don't think it will improve the reputation of cricket's Authorities, low as it is.

My two-penarth.

Ok. I don't necessarily agree but. I accept sportsmen will have something in their contract about 'not bringing the game into disrepute' however ill-defined that concept is. But, they needn't make a song and dance about it. The board of the ECB can convene itself as a disciplinary panel and decide on a reprimand but no further action and write to Stokes saying that, unless he wants to appeal.

But I can't see how any further punishment is helpful. Will persuade anyone any further not to get involved more than the proceedings have already done. And I don't think it will improve the reputation of cricket's Authorities, low as it is.

My two-penarth.
Which is balanced. And I kind of agree.

Didn’t Hales hoof somebody in the head? How’s he’s managed to worm his way untouched thus far is pretty remarkable.

My two-penarth.

I do take the point nobody wants this to drag on and just get back to playing cricket, and agree any punishment should be minimal due to what's already happened.

However the ECB are not retards or wankers as suggested by some over this particular issue, they simply the organisation of the sport who have to be seen to let their employers know they cannot as professional international crickerters get into drunken brawls in the early hours of the morning.

And for other people to suggest (not yourself) for him to actually pack in playing for England just because that organisation makes that message clear is incredibly small minded and immature and totally missing the bigger picture.

I do take the point nobody wants this to drag on and just get back to playing cricket, and agree any punishment should be minimal due to what's already happened.

However the ECB are not retards or wankers as suggested by some over this particular issue, they simply the organisation of the sport who have to be seen to let their employers know they cannot as professional international crickerters get into drunken brawls in the early hours of the morning.

And for other people to suggest (not yourself) for him to actually pack in playing for England just because that organisation makes that message clear is incredibly small minded and immature and totally missing the bigger picture.

I think the time it’s taken to sort this whole mess out and move forward is unbelievable.

It happened over a year ago.
He missed a full tour over it.
He missed part of the NZ tour over it.
He’s lost lucrative sponsorship over it.
He missed game(s) over the summer over it.
He’s been to a full trial.
He was found not guilty at trial.

This dragged on for almost a year, but now around 4 weeks after he was cleared, the ECB announce he’ll face ‘trial’ by then in December. 3 month away from now.

I’m not getting into whether he should or shouldn’t be punished by the ECB, I’ve made my feelings clear on that. But how long this whole thing has dragged on for is becoming a bit of a joke. Punish him again now if you have to, but just get on with things

I think the time it’s taken to sort this whole mess out and move forward is unbelievable.

It happened over a year ago.
He missed a full tour over it.
He missed part of the NZ tour over it.
He’s lost lucrative sponsorship over it.
He missed game(s) over the summer over it.
He’s been to a full trial.
He was found not guilty at trial.

This dragged on for almost a year, but now around 4 weeks after he was cleared, the ECB announce he’ll face ‘trial’ by then in December. 3 month away from now.

I’m not getting into whether he should or shouldn’t be punished by the ECB, I’ve made my feelings clear on that. But how long this whole thing has dragged on for is becoming a bit of a joke. Punish him again now if you have to, but just get on with things

Think we having two diffrent debates mate, I agree with the timing is not good and nobody wants it to drag on, and don't think either of us know the full ins and outs of why it has taken this long.

I have never understood either why court cases always drag out soo long but they do over many other issues ,that long process is not exclusive to Stokes.

But I do know it was totally unacceptable to do what he did both him and Hales and the ECB cannot be seen by the wider world to do nothing, it was inevitable in some form or the other to discipline them both internally in some form.

Last edited:

Back