Stocks n Shares ISA

Mine went up 3% yesterday and another 2.2% today , I’m still well over 7% down since Christmas.

As plenty have advised you , don’t panic you’re investing for the long term .
My funds were £1380ish down yesterday morning since my initial deposit mid January of £26000. Is only £804 as of this morning. Been another good day today in the markets so hopefully be at around minus 400 tommorow.

Yes to all questions?

Yes to all questions.

£20k per person per year so you can get £80k invested over the next few weeks.

In terms of doubling, yes, definitely achievable. Not guaranteed obviously but definitely achievable in theory - I'm aiming to achieve that with my portfolio.
- As an example (if the link works) this is what I'm currently buying as a buy and hold portfolio:

Given the subdued market at the moment, you may not be far off with an index tracker. VWRL or VUSA are two ETFs I have as a semi-hedge against me f***ing up my individual stock picking.

Edit: Usual disclaimer, not financial advice, it is just an example of what I'm doing

Last edited:
Mine went up 3% yesterday and another 2.2% today , I’m still well over 7% down since Christmas.

As plenty have advised you , don’t panic you’re investing for the long term .
Agree with this.

I put my max 20k in an vanguard ISA towards end of last year and I know for certain I’ll be down if I look at it now, it’s a 15-20 year investment for me though, just going to keep ploughing in the £20k a year and hope for the best :D

Don't panic. You need to get out of the habit of checking all the time. These investments need to be fire and forget.

I have a Google Sheets spreadsheet for my portfolio. It updates itself every 20 minutes so it is always "current".
I look at it about once a month just to see what's going on.
I act on it a couple of times a year when dividends or contributions are sizeable enough to make the fees to dabble negligible.

You need to adopt an attitude of comfortable ignorance, leave it alone to look after itself.

Also be prepared for occassional shocks.
I shit the bed when it looked like I'd lost a load of money. I hadn't, Royal Dutch Shell Company (RDSB) became Shell (SHEL). The ticker had changed name so the spreadsheet went nuts.

For the avoidance of doubt adopt HGTTG slogan. DON'T PANIC.
I agree i might start checking it every 2 months LOL

Agree with this.

I put my max 20k in an vanguard ISA towards end of last year and I know for certain I’ll be down if I look at it now, it’s a 15-20 year investment for me though, just going to keep ploughing in the £20k a year and hope for the best :D

I’ve been investing in about 10 different funds rather than sticking with one , moving out of Uk / European funds pre brexit into more Global funds to reduce my risk.

Personally I wouldn’t invest all into one fund , but that’s just me being cautious.

I’ve been investing in about 10 different funds rather than sticking with one , moving out of Uk / European funds pre brexit into more Global funds to reduce my risk.

Personally I wouldn’t invest all into one fund , but that’s just me being cautious.

Having more than 3 or 4 is probably a bit overkill.

Investing in an all cap global index tracker gives you as much diversification as you'll get. The only thing then to consider is how close you are to retirement & reducing exposure to shares.

It reminds me of something I saw on MSE where one of the broadsheets financial advisors were recommending 20 managed funds for diversification. But if you did that, all you've essentially got is a rather expensive index tracker.

Bought some Arc shares because of this thread thinking it might bee a nice little earner. That'll teach me to listen to share tips.

Could be worse, could've listened to that Clover Health tip that was flying about recently :D

Finally going through. Up 25% on the confirmation.
Looks like will take a few months then they will take us out once proven up
Bought some Arc shares because of this thread thinking it might bee a nice little earner. That'll teach me to listen to share tips.
It will be medium term. Nowts overnight , the fact they are in a jv is key. Fully funded drilling, the more they drill the more they are worth

Stock market is taken an absolute pounding. Some huge sell offs this past week (and months) Apple down around 8% in one day (Wednesday) us some serious money.

Back