stocks and shares losing positions thread

100% this and stop looking at the price

How long's that over? Also seems little point having 3 different ones, why don't you just work out the average of what you have then just put them all into say the 80 or 60 depending which is the closest?
I took the 80/20 years ago just to be a bit cautious.
Then went 60/40 then 100% over the years when I felt a bit more confident.
The 38% is averaged over all 3 over the years. I’ll have to check to see which ones are performing the best.

sold half and will re buy if gets to 125. Focusing on silver cannabis stocks and my plan is 5 years from now to withdraw.

I have no idea what "silver cannabis" sticks are but it sounds like you could do with a lot more diversification rather than chasing the next big think.

Setup a boring direct debit into a boring global tracker and forget about it.

I took the 80/20 years ago just to be a bit cautious.
Then went 60/40 then 100% over the years when I felt a bit more confident.
The 38% is averaged over all 3 over the years. I’ll have to check to see which ones are performing the best.
The best will be the 100 👍

Plenty of people will shout about their winners and get the green envy going but they don't usually mention their losers as openly.
This is the most salutory advice that can be given to an amateur share investor along with it is extremely easy to buy shares and much more difficult to sell as people bizarrely develop an emotional attachment to their shareholding.

I have no idea what "silver cannabis" sticks are but it sounds like you could do with a lot more diversification rather than chasing the next big think.

Setup a boring direct debit into a boring global tracker and forget about it.
I bought 10k of aurora cannabis stocks and canopy cannabis a month ago with a silver mining company and all did well.

I bought 10k of aurora cannabis stocks and canopy cannabis a month ago with a silver mining company and all did well.

You aren't listening. Whether they did well or not in the last month is immaterial to a long term investment plan. Mining stocks are always volatile and who knows what will happen to the cannabis market due to regulations and competition.

You aren't listening. Whether they did well or not in the last month is immaterial to a long term investment plan. Mining stocks are always volatile and who knows what will happen to the cannabis market due to regulations and competition.
I am listening. They in for the long term.
AMD have been flying, you must have bought at almost the worst time possible?!
I did

Last edited:
Is this the same AMD that is up 79% in the last 12 months, and 472% in the last 5 years? Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Stock Price & News - Google Finance

Tech stocks do fluctuate as lot (look at Tesla for instance) but over time surely this is still a winner, most likely, and you should have made money on any investment over the last few years. Semiconductor demand is only going to increase.

Also how did you buy them at $178 when they've never been that price over their entire history (apart from briefly in the last few weeks, when they topped out just above $200, and which they have now slightly retreated from). Stocks are very rarely short term plays for the home investor, so if you're looking for some advice (and I'm far from an expert), it would be to sit tight and stop worrying about them.

AMD are the poor man's Nvidia.

I think you mean the Royal Mail selloff. I made a quick profit on that but they were never going to be a long term investment.
Yeah I did bought £750 worth with the compen I got for being sold a shit pension by Equitable life!
My family and pensions are a disaster my Grandad had a steelworks pension worked there for 50 years. Just before he retired it was nationalised he was offered a few coppers less but his wife would get half if he died first he refused.
He died 6 years later and my granny lived another 19 years with nowt.

its being dragged up by nvidia...AI leaders.

Nvidia don't really do AI themselves they just sell their chipsets to the people who do.

Just like in the US goldrush the people who really made a lot of money were those who made the shovels and pickaxes.

Nvidia don't really do AI themselves they just sell their chipsets to the people who do.

Just like in the US goldrush the people who really made a lot of money were those who made the shovels and pickaxes.

One step further is investing in ASML, LRCX, AMAT. In simple terms they make the machines that are used to make the chips.

Payments processing is another one. Doesn't matter what people are buying, the likes of Visa and Mastercard are making a fortune from it.

Only invest in things you're prepared to hold really long term and average in (say £250 a month or x amount of stocks) to protect you from volatility. Example. I bought some tesla at 240, I've bought more at 170. If I like it at 240, why wouldn't I like it at 170? Obviously it could go to nowt but if it settles at 200 for a while I've bought my average buy down.

Only invest in things you're prepared to hold really long term and average in (say £250 a month or x amount of stocks) to protect you from volatility. Example. I bought some tesla at 240, I've bought more at 170. If I like it at 240, why wouldn't I like it at 170? Obviously it could go to nowt but if it settles at 200 for a while I've bought my average buy down.
As long as you don’t convince yourself you like it because you’re long

Back