stocks and shares losing positions thread

Bald King

Central Defender
So, got shares in a company basis for 5 years but they dropped 13pc in last week and media saying bearish for a while. Do I stick or sell and re buy when they hit rock bottom? For example, stock bought at 178usd now it's 165usd with some saying it will drop to 125usd before going back up. It's my main ISA so important.

So, got shares in a company basis for 5 years but they dropped 13pc in last week and media saying bearish for a while. Do I stick or sell and re buy when they hit rock bottom? For example, stock bought at 178usd now it's 165usd with some saying it will drop to 125usd before going back up. It's my main ISA so important.
You're asking us to advise on share trading without any details whatsoever about the company (or companies) involved. It's a bit of a tall order.

As a general point, if you knew where rock bottom was on any given share and could buy at that point, you'd be a billionaire pretty quickly.

Why are you dabbling in this when you clearly have no clue about it?

You should probably consult a financial advisor about this.

If they are worth $125, then they'd be that now, rather than $165. No one knows what's going to happen. If you're happy with your purchase, keep them for 5 years and stop looking at them, otherwise you'll end up with a stomach ulcer. If you worried about them and think they'll go down, sell them.

Rather than buying individual shares, if you want to reduce your likelihood of getting an ulcer, stick to a a world index fund.

Consider yourself lucky, the company I invested in had been shorted to death and 90% of the starting value has been killing.

The only thing keeping me in is the company produces improving results each qtr but it still gets walloped by shorting pricks.

The company you are in, what is their market? What does the future look like? What is their gearing and balance sheet like. Are they likely to succeed?

You're asking us to advise on share trading without any details whatsoever about the company (or companies) involved. It's a bit of a tall order.

As a general point, if you knew where rock bottom was on any given share and could buy at that point, you'd be a billionaire pretty quickly.
the company is AMD semi conductors
Why are you dabbling in this when you clearly have no clue about it?
Trying to learn it.

Last edited:

Trying to learn it.
Isn’t there platforms where you can do dummy trades so that you can get a bit of experience first ?

Know a fair few people who have gone head first into it and been stung badly .

OK that's fair enough. Personally I'd have learned it before putting me ISA in to it ;)
Well. I have read as much as I can but if a stock drops it drops! It's about what you do.
Isn’t there platforms where you can do dummy trades so that you can get a bit of experience first ?

Know a fair few people who have gone head first into it and been stung badly .
ib ave done all that and made a for bit on cannabis and silver. that profit went to AMD. AmD so far suck!

Well. I have read as much as I can but if a stock drops it drops! It's about what you do.

ib ave done all that and made a for bit on cannabis and silver. that profit went to AMD. AmD so far suck!
So you’re only losing your profit which isn’t too bad .
Or is it capital and profit

Is this the same AMD that is up 79% in the last 12 months, and 472% in the last 5 years? Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Stock Price & News - Google Finance

Tech stocks do fluctuate as lot (look at Tesla for instance) but over time surely this is still a winner, most likely, and you should have made money on any investment over the last few years. Semiconductor demand is only going to increase.

Also how did you buy them at $178 when they've never been that price over their entire history (apart from briefly in the last few weeks, when they topped out just above $200, and which they have now slightly retreated from). Stocks are very rarely short term plays for the home investor, so if you're looking for some advice (and I'm far from an expert), it would be to sit tight and stop worrying about them.

Last edited:
Is this the same AMD that is up 79% in the last 12 months, and 472% in the last 5 years? Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Stock Price & News - Google Finance

Tech stocks do fluctuate as lot (look at Tesla for instance) but over time surely this is still a winner, most likely, and you should have made money on any investment over the last few years. Semiconductor demand is only going to increase.

Also how did you buy them at $178 when they've never been that price over their entire history (apart from briefly in the last few weeks, when they topped out just above $200, and which they have now slightly retreated from). Stocks are very rarely short term plays for the home investor, so if you're looking for some advice (and I'm far from an expert), it would be to sit tight and stop worrying about them.
i just bought in last 2 weeks and it's dropped ever since.

yes I will do.

i just bought in last 2 weeks and it's dropped ever since.
Ah, I thought you bought 5 years ago. What was the 5 year bit of your original post then?

I'd still probably hold onto them, unless I really couldn't afford to lose the money, in which case I'd cut the losses now. If you've put a large sum into one company in an ISA, it's a very risky strategy, but you might still be better off waiting for it to recover, which it most likely will in due course. Think of it as a long term investment (assuming that's what you mean by 5 years), and stop worrying about it in the meantime. I'd guess AMD shares will be considerably higher in 5 years time than where they are now, even if they do drop in the meantime...people are daft for tech shares and worst case scenario they will look good value compared to the rest of the NASDAQ if they fall and the rest of the market rises (as it is almost certain to do).

Otherwise, I'd just be investing my S&S ISA money in broader funds, not individual stocks, unless you do a lot of homework and spread the risk around a number of different ones that offer some protection.

Last edited:
I'm the guy who bought Marconi shares in 2000 or 2001. So I can give you some advice on what might happen to your money.

Back