stocks and shares losing positions thread

the company is AMD semi conductors

AMD have been heading for a correction for a while now. Along with the likes of NVIDIA and Broadcom, they were caught up with the hype around people buying new hardware for AI applications.

Still a decent company for long term growth, but some people are just taking profits as expectations become more realistic.

Hard to offer advice as it depends on what your aims are - a quick buck or long term growth but drops like this are perfectly normal (especially in the tech sector) and are nothing to panic over. Sell if you wan, hold if you want or you could take it as a buying opportunity.

AMD have been heading for a correction for a while now. Along with the likes of NVIDIA and Broadcom, they were caught up with the hype around people buying new hardware for AI applications.

Still a decent company for long term growth, but some people are just taking profits as expectations become more realistic.

Hard to offer advice as it depends on what your aims are - a quick buck or long term growth but drops like this are perfectly normal (especially in the tech sector) and are nothing to panic over. Sell if you wan, hold if you want or you could take it as a buying opportunity.
So sell, buy or hold? With that level of commitment, are you a stockbroker?

So, got shares in a company basis for 5 years but they dropped 13pc in last week and media saying bearish for a while. Do I stick or sell and re buy when they hit rock bottom? For example, stock bought at 178usd now it's 165usd with some saying it will drop to 125usd before going back up. It's my main ISA so important.

You bought a stock in the last 2 weeks on the basis of holding for 5 years but you're now thinking about trading in it?

Were those saying it will drop not saying that 2 weeks ago or did you not research it when you bought?

sold half and will re buy if gets to 125. Focusing on silver cannabis stocks and my plan is 5 years from now to withdraw.

sold half and will re buy if gets to 125. Focusing on silver cannabis stocks and my plan is 5 years from now to withdraw.

How many stocks do you have?

Chopping and changing with no clue what you're doing is a pathway to losing your money. (I say that with the best of intentions, so no offence)

I sold about 20% of my AMD early March. It is posssibly starting to look worth buying again. But as someone else said, there is a lot of growth expectation built in so any bumps in the roads (AMD specific or generic market) will be heavily punished.

How many stocks do you have?

Chopping and changing with no clue what you're doing is a pathway to losing your money. (I say that with the best of intentions, so no offence)

I sold about 20% of my AMD early March. It is posssibly starting to look worth buying again. But as someone else said, there is a lot of growth expectation built in so any bumps in the roads (AMD specific or generic market) will be heavily punished.
inwill just look again in 5 year. 20k on AMD

Diversification (a wide range of companies), £ averaging (gradually topping up rather than one off buys and sells), and sticking to your areas of expertise are the things I find most important.

Most people are better buying an index tracker mind.
Good advice
I have amongst others vanguards life strategy 60/80/100% equity/bond .
Averaged out they are up by 38%.

Most people are better buying an index tracker mind.
100% this and stop looking at the price
Good advice
I have amongst others vanguards life strategy 60/80/100% equity/bond .
Averaged out they are up by 38%.
How long's that over? Also seems little point having 3 different ones, why don't you just work out the average of what you have then just put them all into say the 80 or 60 depending which is the closest?

inwill just look again in 5 year. 20k on AMD
Sounds a little bit day-traderish. Quick in and out doesn't go hand in hand with a long term plan unless you're way more experienced and that's not gonna make money for majority of amateur investors.

Look at averaging, spread the risk more in the portfolio or as others have suggested, get it into funds instead. Research the company properly, figure out if it's worth averaging down or just waiting out. If not, cut your losses with a sharp lesson learned and then listen to some of the good advice posted above before re-investing.

Plenty of people will shout about their winners and get the green envy going but they don't usually mention their losers as openly. You're at least wise enough to ask for advice with an apparent loser and fair play for that.

Back