Steve Parkin

"His last season was disappointing. A mixture of poor results and an awful brand of football meant many fans were calling for his head"

"He plays a brand of football that whilst not necessarily being eye catching, is effective"

"But one criticism of Parkinson that is concerning some Black Cats fans is his style of play, which was often criticised by Bradford and Bolton fans towards the end of his tenures there"

Jurassic Park.
Have a look at the Andrew Davies article on Parkinson marra. It’s a horror show. According to Davies his biggest attribute is getting his wingers covering their fullbacks!

Don’t like the look of that tbh. As ever I’ll give a new regime a fair chance but that article is just Glyn Snodin second time round.
I back substance over style every day of the week.

From an attacking perspective Parkinson teams don’t tend to provide substance.
You think? I was reading the other day that direct attacking at pace football was the modern way now.
It absolutely is. Saying defensive football is the way is simply not borne out by reality.

Last edited:

Have a look at the Andrew Davies article on Parkinson marra. It’s a horror show. According to Davies his biggest attribute is getting his wingers covering their fullbacks!

Don’t like the look of that tbh. As ever I’ll give a new regime a fair chance but that article is just Glyn Snodin second time round.

It absolutely is. Saying defensive football is the way is simply not borne out by reality.
From a winning perspective in this league he provides a lot of substance and he is a very good motivator something which Jack Ross might of struggled with.

McGeady does not like this :lol:

It's just the usual suspects saying the usual things marra. There's nowt wrong with forming an opinion based on track record and fans anecdotal evidence. Good luck to him but like yourself I think it's the wrong appointment and continues the short sighted approach we seem eternally stuck in.

From a winning perspective in this league he provides a lot of substance and he is a very good motivator something which Jack Ross might of struggled with.
He has provided in the past marra. That doesn’t mean he will in the future. He’s also failed to get out of this league on many occasions too. If his prescription to get us up is to defend our way up we’re in trouble. We need the attack to function far better than it has. There’s not much evidence from his career that he’s capable of that sort of transformation. If he does end up succeeding here he’s gonna have to step out of his comfort zone.

Seems a proper, good old fashioned football man. I mean, how footy is this interview? Good old Parko. They'll get Wyko and Griggsy firing, plenty of ammo from Goochey, the Geadster and Watters... Class.

🤦‍♂️

If you're trying to survive it is, not many top teams in their respective league's defend their way to the top
Try telling that to Man City this season. Their attack force is terrific but their defending is shite. No matter what league you're in, you need to defend well to be the top team.

He has provided in the past marra. That doesn’t mean he will in the future. He’s also failed to get out of this league on many occasions too. If his prescription to get us up is to defend our way up we’re in trouble. We need the attack to function far better than it has. There’s not much evidence from his career that he’s capable of that sort of transformation. If he does end up succeeding here he’s gonna have to step out of his comfort zone.
We will have to see. I hope your assessment of him is wrong and he gets us out of the league.

Shoring up our leaky defence would have similar results. It's not as if we are failing to score. Yes, we don't create much but we do take chances. If we stopped conceding goals in every single game we would be near the top. I'd much rather we were scoring 2 and conceding 1 every game than scoring 1 and conceding none but both have the same effect at the end of the day.

Try telling that to Man City this season. Their attack force is terrific but their defending is shite. No matter what league you're in, you need to defend well to be the top team.

Defending is a part of it without doubt but what I'm saying is you rarely see very defensive teams at the top of the league. Man City are a top team no matter how you dress it up

Last edited:
We will have to see. I hope your assessment of him is wrong and he gets us out of the league.
So do I marra. However, longer term the fundamental issues in how the club is run are gonna bite us. They might get lucky with Parkinson - and I hope they do - but the lack of sensible thought that’s gone into this manager search (just like most of our transfer business) puts a very definite ceiling on this club. And it’s way lower than premier league level.
Shoring up our leaky defence would have similar results. It's not as if we are failing to score. Yes, we don't create much but we do take chances. If we stopped conceding goals in every single game we would be near the top. I'd much rather we were scoring 2 and conceding 1 every game than scoring 1 and conceding none but both have the same effect at the end of the day
It’s about what’s likely marra. Truth is we don’t give up too many chances. However converting chances at a higher than average rate is unlikely to continue - just as it did last year. So we might end up getting nil nils instead of one ones. And considering Parkinson’s Bolton promotion team failed to score in nearly a quarter of their games - as well as having the second longest run without a goal - I don’t believe that it is a 50:50 decision. Our main issue is in creativity. That is where we’re one of the worst in the league. That is where we should focus.

Last edited:

Back