Stay at home Dads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that more women are in work but I class the stay at home mother as a working mother.
I know people who have kids and both work.
Their kids are nannied.

It costs the wages of one of them to have the nanny and pre schooling and what not.

All I'm saying is, even though a woman can work; if she wants kids then there's the real work, whilst the husband goes to work. Not because a woman has to do the job over the husband but because a woman is literally the maternal reality for the baby.

I know things have changed but for me they've changed for the worse.

That's fine. But it seems mental to me that in the exact situation you mention, if it made financial sense for the bloke to stay at home (let's say she earns triple his salary) anybody could still take issue with that. Yet it is all over this thread.

Like you say it isn't for everyone but I can totally see why some do it.

Last edited:

I suppose I did it to a certain degree when working shifts and the kids were off school, obviously not the same, sort of a trial version.

That's fine. But it seems mental to me that in the exact situation you mention, if it made financial sense for the bloke to stay at home (let's say she earns triple his salary) anybody could still take issue with that. Yet it is all over this thread.

Like you say it isn't for everyone but I can totally see why some do it.

It's utterly ridiculous to send the bloke to work if the woman earns a shit load more. Something amiss if you ask me.

I agree that more women are in work but I class the stay at home mother as a working mother.
I know people who have kids and both work.
Their kids are nannied.
It costs the wages of one of them to have the nanny and pre schooling and what not.

All I'm saying is, even though a woman can work; if she wants kids then there's the real work, whilst the husband goes to work. Not because a woman has to do the job over the husband but because a woman is literally the maternal reality for the baby.

I know things have changed but for me they've changed for the worse.
Rubbish, if the women wants a child? Does the bloke not get a say in this. Your pillow talk must be class.

Missus-should we have a kid.
You- yes you can love.

It’s a cop out for weak minded blokes, we have treated not just women but women we love like shit for years.
The only difference between a man and woman regarding children is the woman gives birth.
If you can’t bond with your newborn enough to give everything you hold sacred up well that’s a f***ing tragedy mate.
It’s sounds like you and gilly are trying to hold on to some sort of heterosexual manliness that inhibits you from being a real bloke.

I did it for a while with our lad. I had finished working on one job but my new one hadn't started yet. Mrs had always worked part time, but took on full time hours for the two months before I started my new job. So I was a stay at home dad for two months.

Its hard work and you do receive a fair bit of prejudice. When I would drop him off at nursery the mums would mostly go for coffee. Now I wouldn't have ever gone, but I was never even asked. The first day a new mum brought her kid along.... she was welcomed with open arms.
Bumping into old friends when out with the bairn was a bit weird as well. I'd explain that the wife was at work and I'd get funny looks.

Its also very lonely. When the wife does it, she gets other mums visiting, and her friends and colleagues call in, often with their kids. I barely saw anyone when I was home with the little one.

It's utterly ridiculous to send the bloke to work if the woman earns a shit load more. Something amiss if you ask me.

Agreed. It's all about what works best for each family and having the freedom to choose - men & women should be equal in that regard. It's sad how many clearly don't agree.

I did it for a while with our lad. I had finished working on one job but my new one hadn't started yet. Mrs had always worked part time, but took on full time hours for the two months before I started my new job. So I was a stay at home dad for two months.

Its hard work and you do receive a fair bit of prejudice. When I would drop him off at nursery the mums would mostly go for coffee. Now I wouldn't have ever gone, but I was never even asked. The first day a new mum brought her kid along.... she was welcomed with open arms.
Bumping into old friends when out with the bairn was a bit weird as well. I'd explain that the wife was at work and I'd get funny looks.

Its also very lonely. When the wife does it, she gets other mums visiting, and her friends and colleagues call in, often with their kids. I barely saw anyone when I was home with the little one.
Good on you mate. Never mind what anyone else thinks you did the right thing. What do you think these mums talk about whilst drinking coffee? Il tell ya! They talk about you and how they wish they had a bloke who would step up to the mark as you did. They sit moaning about their husbands doing fuck all. Playing xbox or tinkering with a motor or down the boozer.
The truth is a lot of blokes have mummy issues and want to be looked after like they are teenagers. A lot of wives just replace their mammys.

Good on you mate. Never mind what anyone else thinks you did the right thing. What do you think these mums talk about whilst drinking coffee? Il tell ya! They talk about you and how they wish they had a bloke who would step up to the mark as you did. They sit moaning about their husbands doing fuck all. Playing xbox or tinkering with a motor or down the boozer.
The truth is a lot of blokes have mummy issues and want to be looked after like they are teenagers. A lot of wives just replace their mammys.

It was absolutely the right thing, and it was hard bloody work, and I was pleased when it was all over and I could go back to dealing with adults! But I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to. It was only two months, and it was two hard months but not without its fun points.

It was absolutely the right thing, and it was hard bloody work, and I was pleased when it was all over and I could go back to dealing with adults! But I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to. It was only two months, and it was two hard months but not without its fun points.
I did it with the daughter when I came out the army for about 9 months, she was less than one year old. I couldn’t get a job and the missus worked, I loved it. Tbf never really thought about it at the time just did it. Unfortunately a mortgage was needed and it needed us both to be working and so I eventually found.
Any relationship has to have an element of fairness wether it kin or friends or it just crumbles.

I reckon loads of blokes push the on the tit method as thry are lazy arses who don't want to get out of bed to do night feeds.

I'm one of those. Or at least I was. My wife did the feeds every night during the week. I went to work during the week. I used to do night feeds at the weekends alright, though.

I'm one of those. Or at least I was. My wife did the feeds every night during the week. I went to work during the week. I used to do night feeds at the weekends alright, though.
Away Fred why not during the week?
I bet at the time if your missus woke you up for a buck on a week night you would have been alreet.

Away Fred why not during the week?
I bet at the time if your missus woke you up for a buck on a week night you would have been alreet.

Because I work during the week. It was a different matter on a Friday or Saturday night. It was my turn then.

& of course it would be ok if she woke me for a buck. Just like it was ok if the child woke me on a Friday or Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back