Stay at home Dads

Some lasses can't express and they beat themselves up massively that they can't breast feed. When you couple it with post natal depression it can be a very bad mix. I think people need to back off with the anti bottle stuff personally.
Back off? Breast feeding should be promoted as much as possible surely?
If that is deemed anti bottle then so be it.

Back off? Breast feeding should be promoted as much as possible surely?
If that is deemed anti bottle then so be it.
Well not if it means you are f***ing with the mother's head. Some health workers basically make them feel like shit mams if they can't breast feed. Having a seriously depressed mother look after a child isn't exactly good for the baby.

Well not if it means you are f***ing with the mother's head. Some health workers basically make them feel like shit mams if they can't breast feed. Having a seriously depressed mother look after a child isn't exactly good for the baby.
That's a training issue surely? Both the way breast feeding is promoted and looking for signs of depression.
Th at said, breast feeding should be the default option promoted by the health professionals, imho.

My lass is away for 4 days on her sisters 40th birthday trip. we've got a 1 and a 5 year old, dunno how she does it for 8 weeks at a time! Heads battered! Then when they go to bed I feel lost in the house, it's mental.

Millions of years of evolution v Proctor & Gamble.
I'd play safe. Blokes can feed the kids in the night if women express the milk.

Are you suggesting if babies hadn't have been on the tit the human race wouldn't be? What about those babies that don't take to it? Did they all die? If so, was in because of a lack of breast milk or just a lack of milk on general.

We went with on the tit, I liked her whipping them out. But had it not worked out I reckon the bairn would probably have survived.
Some lasses can't express and they beat themselves up massively that they can't breast feed. When you couple it with post natal depression it can be a very bad mix. I think people need to back off with the anti bottle stuff personally.

Great post.

Nailed it.

Last edited:
Any on here done that and shipped the missus back to work instead? Lad at work is planning it once his little un lands. Be class that like, jammy bastard.

I did it since I left teaching - it’s class for about a month then you get bored and when the school holidays hit with a 4 and 5 year old and you leave your Mrs and you’re bored out of your skull you end up doing very stupid things like paint the shed purple or start a rock band with your other stay at home dad pals

I don't wear a wedding ring. I don't wear any jewelry at all, not even a watch. I have had plenty of watches bought for me over the years but wear them for a small amount of time and put them away. They're nothing expensive but special because they were bought for me.

I don't need a wedding ring to show my love for my wife.
Many men like a wedding ring, many don't. I don't think jewelry shows love. I think genuine affection and being together and helping each other, shows love.

Rings are just for good looking blokes, as wives are worried that other women will think they are available and try it on. Doesn't apply to mags.
I did it since I left teaching - it’s class for about a month then you get bored and when the school holidays hit with a 4 and 5 year old and you leave your Mrs and you’re bored out of your skull you end up doing very stupid things like paint the shed purple or start a rock band with your other stay at home dad pals

I wasn't bored for the few months I was off.
We’re hoping to adopt and my place has better paternity/maternity leave for adoption than where the missus works so I’ll be taking a year off while she goes to work.

Nice one, and good luck.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting if babies hadn't have been on the tit the human race wouldn't be? What about those babies that don't take to it? Did they all die? If so, was in because of a lack of breast milk or just a lack of milk on general.

We went with on the tit, I liked her whipping them out. But had it not worked out I reckon the bairn would probably have survived.
Yes. If babies hadn't been in the hit the human race wouldn't be. I think Darwin nailed that one.
Babies who don't take it can have formula in the 21st century previously they would have had wet nurses or died.

We’re hoping to adopt and my place has better paternity/maternity leave for adoption than where the missus works so I’ll be taking a year off while she goes to work.

Best of luck with it all mate. Feel free to get in contact if you with regards to it all
I can guarantee all the stay at home dads wear a wedding ring .

Currently sitting here with my youngun playing on his tablet as our lass toils away bringing the bread home

Last edited:
Best of luck with it all mate. Feel free to get in contact if you with regards to it all

Currently sitting here with my youngun playing on his tablet as our lass toils away bringing the bread home
Can’t do any other in this weather tbh .What about when he starts school ,are you going back to work .?

Can’t do any other in this weather tbh .What about when he starts school ,are you going back to work .?

Somewhere down the line but it will need to be totally flexible with being able to drop him off and pick him up from school every day. All grandparents are in there 70s and take a active role in there duties but we wont ever be relying on them to do school runs anytime

Somewhere down the line but it will need to be totally flexible with being able to drop him off and pick him up from school every day. All grandparents are in there 70s and take a active role in there duties but we wont ever be relying on them to do school runs anytime
So have you basically quit your job mate or have they been able to keep your place open for your return?

Yes. If babies hadn't been in the hit the human race wouldn't be. I think Darwin nailed that one.
Babies who don't take it can have formula in the 21st century previously they would have had wet nurses or died.

So exactly as I said, they didn't have another option, where they do now. Proving it is far from essential.
Packed in mate, no flexible at all in my job.

Fair play. I'd say a logical decision as well given your missus' wedge. Much better than the child being passed about between childcare, grand parents etc. IMO.

Last edited:
So exactly as I said, they didn't have another option, where they do now. Proving it is far from essential.

Fair play. I'd say a logical decision as well given your missus' wedge. Much better than the child being passed about between childcare, grand parents etc. IMO.

Given the hours our lass can work and the amount of time she can be away for its the only thing we could do. Without going into details we have a son now who's not had the best start in life and we felt in his early time with us it was best to have it as stable as possible and having a constant parent around was the best thing to do. Our lass obviously plays a active role in his life but obviously the majority is down to me. Me packing in work also coincided with our lass taking 6 months off maternity leave. So for 6 months both of us were here which we feel benefited our son massively in what obviously can be a hugely emotional and tricky time for all concerned

Packed in mate, no flexible at all in my job.
Same here. I went part time when our second came along as we couldn’t and wouldn’t rely on grandparents and childcare. Wife earned double my salary at the time so it made financial sense and I hated my job in any case. Few years down the line and new management decided my role couldn’t be done part time and tried basically to demote me. They eventually made my position untenable and I negotiated a payoff and left happily.

Financially wise I didn’t need to work by this point but took another job which didn’t work out ultimately with family commitments. Now it makes more sense for me to be at home and look after the kids and ferry them around for all of their sporting commitments. The alternative is for them not to be able to do what they want and for me not to watch every football match they play or race they run.

Some of the viewpoints on here I find a little staggering. In my view the kids come first and choosing the solution where they can live the happiest and most fulfilling lives possible should trump any male ego. Yes, I still find it a little embarrassing when I am asked my occupation, but I am willing to take that to give my kids the best opportunities in life.

It's far more complicated imho. For future fatties, for gut health, for nutrients, for communication and probably hundreds of different reasons that are subtle and hidden.
Given the hours our lass can work and the amount of time she can be away for its the only thing we could do. Without going into details we have a son now who's not had the best start in life and we felt in his early time with us it was best to have it as stable as possible and having a constant parent around was the best thing to do. Our lass obviously plays a active role in his life but obviously the majority is down to me. Me packing in work also coincided with our lass taking 6 months off maternity leave. So for 6 months both of us were here which we feel benefited our son massively in what obviously can be a hugely emotional and tricky time for all concerned
Well done to you both. You've made the world a slightly better place.

Last edited:

Back