Star Trails..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our lass is out tonight, and I'm not sure an eight year old would care much for star trails. I'm out

ayesane said:
Fetch him along man, the Turks Head / Sally Inn have a bandits he can play on :cool:

Her. If its not Disney channel shite she ain't interested :-(

Her. If its not Disney channel shite she ain't interested :-(

Gerrin! not only can I get general photographic tips, light painting tips, selling my work commercially tips, Canon 7d tips, I can now also get raising a daughter tips :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
cant come out n play as on nights this week.

anyway, i do star trails quite often, always shoot in jpeg (have forgot and left in raw once or twice, what a fuck on), always do 30 sec exposures and i sometimes light up a handfull of shots with the torch, and as davie said use startrails.de software, real easy to use and works a treat.
try and do at least 60 shots even if ya bored as fuck or cold, sometimes its best to have the camera near the car and just sit in the car while leaving it to do its thing.

a couple of my shots anyway..

Logon or register to see this image

i expect the wonky cops here any second.

cant come out n play as on nights this week.

anyway, i do star trails quite often, always shoot in jpeg (have forgot and left in raw once or twice, what a fuck on), always do 30 sec exposures and i sometimes light up a handfull of shots with the torch, and as davie said use startrails.de software, real easy to use and works a treat.
try and do at least 60 shots even if ya bored as fuck or cold, sometimes its best to have the camera near the car and just sit in the car while leaving it to do its thing.

a couple of my shots anyway..

i expect the wonky cops here any second.

cracking them Clyde marra. :eek: that's exactly what I'm aiming for but I fully expect my first attempt to be a total failure.

Out for a couple hours so fingers crossed I got summit decent.

i'm sure you will mate, at least up your way on you have less light pollution anyway, just hit the coast and look for a bit foreground interest if possible.

i'm sure you will mate, at least up your way on you have less light pollution anyway, just hit the coast and look for a bit foreground interest if possible.
What kind of settings would you use for then like Clyde? Aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc?

First one of these I ever done, was up in the highlands at StromeFerry (No Ferry)

Think I got an iridium flare in it (where the thirds would intersect top right)
http://500px.com/photo/684156

About 35 minutes exposure, had to wait ages for it to process. Stick to 10 minutes now.

What kind of settings would you use for then like Clyde? Aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc?

im no expert but found out what works best for me, i always stack 30 second shots and turn off noise reduction otherwise i have to wait 30 seconds after each shot for it to process and that will leave gaps in the trails. iso 400 is ok if its dark enough but obviously the higher you go the more noise you will get but your cam will pack up more stars. and go for the lowest f stop your lens has, think its f4 on my kit lens.

Why do you need to sit there?

Open shutter, set alarm, wake up, close shutter

Easier with film cameras like ;)

You need dark skies to do star trails with film. A light polluted, urban sky will be fogged to buggery in a few minutes. You also have to contend with reciprocity failure of the film after a minute or two so you get diminishing returns.

Stacking hundreds of jpegs is a piece of piss in Startrails v1.1, my record is 696:

You need dark skies to do star trails with film. A light polluted, urban sky will be fogged to buggery in a few minutes. You also have to contend with reciprocity failure of the film after a minute or two so you get diminishing returns.

Stacking hundreds of jpegs is a piece of piss in Startrails v1.1, my record is 696:

why the fuck are you linking to mothercare :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back