Star Trails..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ayesane

Got my fancy-dan, super-duper astronomical automated shutter release and fancy having a blast at a star trail tonight? anyone fancy it? :cool: (forcast for clear skys, no/little moon)

Swap you for the Tok 12-24 ;)

I was thinking Tynemouth grave yard / abbey over looking the north sea for the setting but I don't know how the close proximity to the highstreet will affect the shot.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tyn...682,55.017653,-1.416163&lci=com.panoramio.all

You're up Stanley way, aye?

Near Consett. Abbey sounds spot on but well out of my way. Will probably get the telescopes out anyway.

I don't mind the moon for star trails, the blue sky glow looks more aesthetically pleasing than orange IMHO. Also if bright enough (full or thereabouts) it will give you a nice foreground illumination, so no need to dick about light painting or using magic cloth.

probably be my next purchase.

How long does a decent trail take, 30 min?

I'm going to do 10pm till midnight, will have to gauge exposure time but i have read 180 seconds x 30.

Near Consett. Abbey sounds spot on but well out of my way. Will probably get the telescopes out anyway.

I don't mind the moon for star trails, the blue sky glow looks more aesthetically pleasing than orange IMHO. Also if bright enough (full or thereabouts) it will give you a nice foreground illumination, so no need to dick about light painting or using magic cloth.

If you fancy the drive mate let me know :cool: we should defo do a tog meet for star trails at some point. Perhaps the next full moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to do 10pm till midnight, will have to gauge exposure time but i have read 180 seconds x 30.

If you fancy the drive mate let me know :cool: we should defo do a tog meet for star trails at some point. Perhaps the next full moon.

i'd be tempted to come along if it was tomorrow night after the match. Flipping knackered today.

bloody hell thats a long time. I'd be gutted if it went tits up after sitting their for 2 hours :lol:

Why do you need to sit there?

Open shutter, set alarm, wake up, close shutter

Easier with film cameras like ;)

bloody hell thats a long time. I'd be gutted if it went tits up after sitting their for 2 hours :lol:

You live and learn mate ;) I'm hoping the multiple exposure method will allow me to remove any mistakes / the unexpected.

Why do you need to sit there?

Open shutter, set alarm, wake up, close shutter

Easier with film cameras like ;)

Was gonna leave Canon 7D with the tok 12-24 attached running (may even leave me camera back containing another £500 worth of lens) and call in at the Turks Head for a pint :cool:

I seriously think buying a cheap film slr would be easier than f***ing about with 30 180 second exposures

Sounds a nightmare

Why can't you just hold the shutter open on these cameras?

You pay enough for them

I seriously think buying a cheap film slr would be easier than f***ing about with 30 180 second exposures

Sounds a nightmare

Probably boring but not really a fuck on, I bought a remote which does this automatically, i just tell it to do a 180 second exposure x times with a gap of n seconds inbetween.

I can hold the shutter open for upto 999 minutes iirc, i just want to experiment with multiple exposures. Basically what i've read on the internet / told.. fancy giving it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
You live and learn mate ;) I'm hoping the multiple exposure method will allow me to remove any mistakes / the unexpected.

Was gonna leave Canon 7D with the tok 12-24 attached running (may even leave me camera back containing another £500 worth of lens) and call in at the Turks Head for a pint :cool:
interesting...

Probably boring but not really a fuck on, I bought a remote which does this automatically, i just tell it to do a 180 second exposure x times with a gap of n seconds inbetween.

Ok, not so bad

Go camping somewhere wild, and cease to worry about the gear though

Download yourself a copy of ( startrails.de ) and it will put all your shots together for you , don't forget to shoot in jpeg if you are going to do 2 hours worth of shots

Download yourself a copy of ( startrails.de ) and it will put all your shots together for you , don't forget to shoot in jpeg if you are going to do 2 hours worth of shots

Yeah I read that, Is it worth shooting in both .jpg and RAW and batching the RAWs in LR4 (create a WB preset > ctrl+A > apply preset > export to HDD). If that fails then I have the .jpg as a fail back. Doable?

Will check out that software, cheers Dave. You not fancy tonight like? :cool:

ayesane said:
Yeah I read that, Is it worth shooting in both .jpg and RAW and batching the RAWs in LR4 (create a WB preset > ctrl+A > apply preset > export to HDD). If that fails then I have the .jpg as a fail back. Doable?

Will check out that software, cheers Dave. You not fancy tonight like? :cool:

I would only use jpeg for that many shots as processing the RAW files will take hours , can't make tonight , working late

Sounds a nightmare

Why can't you just hold the shutter open on these cameras?

You pay enough for them

If you put a Canon digital slr camera into "Bulb" mode the shutter will stay open as long as you keep the button pressed. Not sure if it has time limits, would have to check the manual.

If you put a Canon digital slr camera into "Bulb" mode the shutter will stay open as long as you keep the button pressed. Not sure if it has time limits, would have to check the manual.
this is what i was thinking but thought there must be an obvious reason not for doing it so kept schtum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back