SSE

How do you avoid it tho? Wholesale prices have tripled. Obviously those better off couple pay more to subsidise those on lower incomes which is reasonable but it isn’t a short term fix.

Price cap is based on wholesale price I think so it goes up when the suppliers have to pay more and as the wholesale price has rocketed so has the cap. If they capped the price lower it’d effectively be subsidised for everyone but who would pay for that?

see your point, however larger suppliers/governments would ideally be taking out forward options on energy prices and also have decent sized storage facilities both of which would help smooth out spikes in wholesale prices …

Just found out my energy supplier has gone bust. Green. Bastards have £300 credit. Supposedly it gets transferred over to the new supplier.

That will be long gone by the time British Gas / new supplier receive it and credit it to your account. Can take months and if you're on a much more expensive tariff with BG you'll end up spending it before you get it. Don't think you can switch either until you receive the credit or you risk losing it.

It's mental there isn't a gas shortage just apparently more countries wanting gas since covid slumber is coming to an end. I wonder if the gas prices were as high before the pandemic when everyone was using as much gas in the world, I suspect not and this is just market price fixing for oil and gas companies to make money back they lost during the pandemic. That's the sad thing about it all.

I have no idea, I just find it all frightening and depressing. I have a bairn at home, this house gets really cold (and all the cavity wall insulation has to be raked out as it's turned to mush and is rotting the walls / causing dampness).
So from November I have an uninsulated home and energy bills that are going through the roof.
Have they said when they will replace your insulation, surely it's a priority, sounds like a nightmare 😔

Surely they have to or you can get it done for nowt or something, can't leave it empty that's ridiculous?
Im fairly sure the damp inspector bloke said they'd not redo it. I rent via Gentoo so everything has to go through them so I don't think I can just take it upon myself to get new stuff put in.
I'll check with them, but I'd probably need those polystyrene beads rather than the shredded stuff that's getting raked out.

Yeah the companies are saying the price cap is too low, they want it taken away so they can screw us for even more money.
Yes companies screw us so they can all go bust

SMB logic right there, paranoid that the working class get screwed at every opportunity
All part of the plan - blame covid and a bad flu season and kill off loads more vulnerable/expensive thickies

This is the work of Sajid ‘The Jav’ Javid
see above 🤦‍♂️

Im fairly sure the damp inspector bloke said they'd not redo it. I rent via Gentoo so everything has to go through them so I don't think I can just take it upon myself to get new stuff put in.
I'll check with them, but I'd probably need those polystyrene beads rather than the shredded stuff that's getting raked out.
Definitely need to check as if it's a rental through them it will have to meet certain regulations and with no cavity insulation it won't be anywhere near building regs for u values and energy efficiency.

Just received notification of a hike by £80pm for gas/leccy!

Rang em up, No! Leave the DD’s as they are, and use my £872 credit. Cheeky bastardos! I imagine they’ll all be on the take folks, keep an eye on your accounts👍
I've just sined up to them for gas, fixed price for a year. Hope they honour it !

Yeah if they hike mine up I'm fucked, I'll just be putting money on the meter and it'll just be covering the daily standing charges with perhaps enough to have the radiators on for an hour a day.
This is an absolute disgrace, we're just meant to suck this up and we can't do fuck all about it.
Feel for you. I spent last winter on a prepayment meter. It was awful. It was getting through a fiver a day in cold snaps. I just couldn't afford it. I couldn't get the thing in credit half the time. In fact, I couldn't work it out at all. The standing charge would take itself off at random times and like I'd find the gas had gone off in the early hours. Just seemed to me that less well off folk are most likely to be on a prepayment which are all on top whack tarrifs

Back