Sri Lanka Test squad announced

There is no way you can say Denly gets in the best squad available. Its an interesting pick and might work but you can't say he is the best available

There is also absolutely no way Jennings should have made that tour, he isn't as good a cricketer for Stoneman for starters

Its irrelevant what he did earlier in his career mate. He is a front line spinner now for Kent. So I'll judge him on his bowling since then

Again, not saying I would have picked him.

Must admit from very very start have never thought Jennings was anywhere near good enough to be in the test side and still don't, he got picked of one excellent season much the same as Compton did a few years back when both clearly not good enough imo.

I agree Stoneman the better player. Denly who knows how that will turn out but nobody else is pulling up trees and if someone like Vince or Balance got selected the criticism would flow in.

Just the bigger picture is there is limited options available and I like selectors sometimes picking players biased of their judgement rather than averages alone.

Test cricket is more than just picking the person with the best average in the county championship, anyone can do that, if it was down to that Buttler would never have been picked and that turned out to be a excellent pick.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to people like James Hildreth for example, he has been consistent county player for years and years, but is now been mentioned when he is well past his best imo, that kind of paints a picture how bare the cupboard is at the moment.

I think we are at a bit of a crossroads and may have to pick some players
From an ever decreasing pool and stick with them. A bit like borders Australia. Waugh, boon, McDermott Warne (to a lesser extent) all matured as players given time. Our press sometimes don’t allow this

Must admit from very very start have never thought Jennings was anywhere near good enough to be in the test side and still don't, he got picked of one excellent season much the same as Compton did a few years back when both clearly not good enough imo.

I agree Stoneman the better player. Denly who knows how that will turn out but nobody else is pulling up trees and if someone like Vince or Balance got selected the criticism would flow in.

Just the bigger picture is there is limited options available and I like selectors sometimes picking players biased of their judgement rather than averages alone.

Test cricket is more than just picking the person with the best average in the county championship, anyone can do that, if it was down to that Buttler would never have been picked and that turned out to be a excellent pick.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to people like James Hildreth for example, he has been consistent county player for years and years, but is now been mentioned when he is well past his best imo, that kind of paints a picture how bare the cupboard is at the moment.

Hildreth scored a lot of runs again this year playing on turning pitches at Taunton. We're going to Sri Lanka we need batsmen who can play spin well

Hildreth scored a lot of runs again this year playing on turning pitches at Taunton. We're going to Sri Lanka we need batsmen who can play spin well

He is nowhere near his peak well past it as well,5 or 6 years ago he was at his best.

Saying that he is probably on a par with some that are going that was kind of my pint

He is nowhere near his peak well past it as well,5 or 6 years ago he was at his best.

Saying that he is probably on a par with some that are going that was kind of my pint

He's still scoring runs. It wasn't a long term solution but I thought he'd have been a good pick for this tour. I agree there isn't much choice

Back