Sri Lanka Test squad announced

It’s unbelievable

I think it’s smith refusing to admit he was wrong

Imagine Jennings opening the batting in the ashes!

Fuck me!

It's true. I mean, unlike you I didn't really think Stoneman deserved to continue when he was axed. But he deserves it far more than Jennings - this lad has nine lives.

Mebbe Robson is worth a look, seems to get tonns from time to time.

If Bell maintains his form I don't see why he shouldn't be considered for the ashes.
Burns apart there doesn't appear ato be anyone in good enough form to really consider.
If he's 36 or 37 by then so what, if he's amongst the best batsmen to do the job then he should be picked.
In all fairness at number 3 who's better?

It's true. I mean, unlike you I didn't really think Stoneman deserved to continue when he was axed. But he deserves it far more than Jennings - this lad has nine lives.

Mebbe Robson is worth a look, seems to get tonns from time to time.

He just scored 200 runs in his current game but before the current game he was averaging 12 for the season with only one 50 in division 2. to be honest Robson always comes up in these discussions but he has been rotten since he was dropped by England.

Regarding Stoneman - he has also had a poor year but he is definitely still one of the best 3 openers in the country. That said i'm not sure he would do well in Sri Lanka and Jennings plays spin better than him I think.

Last edited:
I thought they should have rested Broad or Anderson and picked Porter. His line and length is well suited to holding down an end on the subcontinent.

Same could have been written about Vaughan and Trescothick 18/19 years ago...

They were about ten years younger than Denly.

No consideration for Clarke, Livingstone or Hildreth then......?

I have absolutely no reason to think Ed Smith is going to be any good as a selector. Picking players because it’s outside of the box or zany might get you respect from some quarters - but it doesn’t win you games.

I have absolutely no reason to think Ed Smith is going to be any good as a selector. Picking players because it’s outside of the box or zany might get you respect from some quarters - but it doesn’t win you games.

Selection of Buttler and Sam Curran won a few games TBF

If Bell maintains his form I don't see why he shouldn't be considered for the ashes.
Burns apart there doesn't appear ato be anyone in good enough form to really consider.
If he's 36 or 37 by then so what, if he's amongst the best batsmen to do the job then he should be picked.

I would quite happily see him go to the West Indies.

There will always be exceptions to the rule. What about his other picks?

Jennings - not many alternatives
Pope - most people would have picked him as he's the form middle order batsman in the CC.
Rashid - expensive but done ok in spells. Leg spinner feels like a luxury in English conditions, should have picked Leach anyway

Top run scorer and player of the series from the other two though

He just scored 200 runs in his current game but before the current game he was averaging 12 for the season with only one 50 in division 2. to be honest Robson always comes up in these discussions but he has been rotten since he was dropped by England.

Regarding Stoneman - he has also had a poor year but he is definitely still one of the best 3 openers in the country. That said i'm not sure he would do well in Sri Lanka and Jennings plays spin better than him I think.

I think I agree on Stoneman, he looks like he's just coming out of a bad run too.

It's a low bar though.

I think it's right those players didn't go, with the possible exception of Hildreth.

I mean, I obviously like Clarke, I've been touting him for a while. But there's no point taking young batsman like him just to carry drinks. Pope is likely to fulfil that role and I think it's stupid - he should be with the Lions.

On that basis, Hildreth should have been the spare middle order batsman.

Jennings - not many alternatives
Pope - most people would have picked him as he's the form middle order batsman in the CC.
Rashid - expensive but done ok in spells. Leg spinner feels like a luxury in English conditions, should have picked Leach anyway

Top run scorer and player of the series from the other two though

Yeah. 2.5 out of 4 is a notable improvement. Also brought Ali back at the right moment and generally handled the Stokes thing ok, apart from the game when Curran should not have been dropped.

Last edited:
I think I agree on Stoneman, he looks like he's just coming out of a bad run too.

It's a low bar though.

I think it's right those players didn't go, with the possible exception of Hildreth.

I mean, I obviously like Clarke, I've been touting him for a while. But there's no point taking young batsman like him just to carry drinks. Pope is likely to fulfil that role and I think it's stupid - he should be with the Lions.

Are the Lions still a thing. I have a vague memory of seeing something about it being cut back - because the ECB were running out of cash.

His form isn't quite wheat it seems though. He scored massive runs in the two matches against a hapless Glamorgan side this year which skews his figures - he averages low 30s in all of the other games. I know its wrong to be selective but it does show that he isn't scoring big runs against division 2 opposition weaker than what he would face in the winter. I think his great form is a bit of smoke and mirrors tbh.

His form isn't quite wheat it seems though. He scored massive runs in the two matches against a hapless Glamorgan side this year which skews his figures - he averages low 30s in all of the other games. I know its wrong to be selective but it does show that he isn't scoring big runs against division 2 opposition weaker than what he would face in the winter. I think his great form is a bit of smoke and mirrors tbh.
That’s fair enough mate.
I must admit I hadn’t looked into it in depth.
We are pretty desperate though at the top order!

Aye true enough - its easy to say why someone for people like me to say why players shouldn't be considered but a lot more difficult to come up with strong cases why people should.

That's it really, every time a selection is made for home and away tours there seems a que of people ready to criticise the selectors about certain players but very few come up with viable better players.

The bottom line especially with batsman is the cupboard is relatively bare and as the whole the selectors pick probably the best squad available.

That's it really, every time a selection is made for home and away tours there seems a que of people ready to criticise the selectors about certain players but very few come up with viable better players.

The bottom line especially with batsman is the cupboard is relatively bare and as the whole the selectors pick probably the best squad available.

There is no way you can say Denly gets in the best squad available. Its an interesting pick and might work but you can't say he is the best available

There is also absolutely no way Jennings should have made that tour, he isn't as good a cricketer for Stoneman for starters

It can’t be a strength when he has 59 first class wickets. It’s an additional option. But nothing more

Its irrelevant what he did earlier in his career mate. He is a front line spinner now for Kent. So I'll judge him on his bowling since then

Again, not saying I would have picked him.

Back