Sri Lanka Test squad announced

But but but but he bowls

59 first class wickets. He’s nearly 33

He bowls in the same way that I bowl
Nearly all of Denly's wickets will have come in the last couple of years. Not suggesting he's anything more than a part-time option though, much the same as Root would be. Still, handy to have out in SL.

The cupboard is bare, especially quality top order batsman.

Are the ones in the squad good enough? Probably not!

Are they quality alternatives ? not really?
I agree. But I think Denly is a step backwards

I struggle with openers, but Clarke or Livingstone would surely be a forward thinking move?

Nearly all of Denly's wickets will have come in the last couple of years. Not suggesting he's anything more than a part-time option though, much the same as Root would be. Still, handy to have out in SL.
I know that. But if you’re picking batsmen because they can bowl a bit it’s pathetic. It’s a bit like picking Liam Dawson over Leach because he isn’t a rabbit

But but but but he bowls

59 first class wickets. He’s nearly 33

He bowls in the same way that I bowl

I am not defending his selection, but career stats are totally irrelevant, its all about what he has been doing in recent years.

He took 20 wickets at 18 last year I believe, and is now Kent's front line spinner

His bowling has been a late development and now one of his main strengths, so any stats earlier in his career are irrelevamt

I'd have taken Vince to open the batting personally

However! We can't just take the bloke who has the most runs every year or the most wickets, if it was that simple Strauss and Trott would have been replaced years ago

I agree. But I think Denly is a step backwards

I struggle with openers, but Clarke or Livingstone would surely be a forward thinking move?

I know that. But if you’re picking batsmen because they can bowl a bit it’s pathetic. It’s a bit like picking Liam Dawson over Leach because he isn’t a rabbit

I also agree with your last post

To be fair Denly is a classy player, can look great.

Bell should be batting 3, I don't get why in england we are so keen to get rid of people due to age

He has scored runs, he is desperate to play test cricket, and he is a lot better than most of the batsman in the squad to be honest

but that is just me!

And by the way how many seamers do we need for a Sri lanka 3 match series, madness!

I agree with @smoker regards to Parkinson talent, and although I wouldn't take him onthe ODI tour, woakes is never ever going to play, I'd have taken him incase Leach breaks his thumb or something. The squad is a spinner short

Last edited:
I am not defending his selection, but career stats are totally irrelevant, its all about what he has been doing in recent years.

He took 20 wickets at 18 last year I believe, and is now Kent's front line spinner

His bowling has been a late development and now one of his main strengths, so any stats earlier in his career are irrelevamt

I'd have taken Vince to open the batting personally

However! We can't just take the bloke who has the most runs every year or the most wickets, if it was that simple Strauss and Trott would have been replaced years ago

I also agree with your last post

To be fair Denly is a classy player, can look great.

Bell should be batting 3, I don't get why in england we are so keen to get rid of people due to age

He has scored runs, he is desperate to play test cricket, and he is a lot better than most of the batsman in the squad to be honest

but that is just me!

And by the way how many seamers do we need for a Sri lanka 3 match series, madness!

I agree with @smoker regards to Parkinson talent, and although I wouldn't take him onthe ODI tour, woakes is never ever going to play, I'd have taken him incase Leach breaks his thumb or something. The squad is a spinner short
It can’t be a strength when he has 59 first class wickets. It’s an additional option. But nothing more

I cant grasp how Ian Bell didnt go, was he available for selection?

Should have been a shoe-in to bat 3 on the continent. Frightening how little we have in the batting department.

Given that we need 2 'new' openers, I'd agree with picking 3. We could debate for ever who they would be as no-one stands out. It's a sorry state of affairs that we've arrived at this point.

Back