Springwatch with Hellsbells

I love birds in the garden, love the sound of them, but I am fecking clueless at telling them apart. Ones I know are .....
Crow
Blackbird
Gull
Starling
Think I know.....
Sparrow although could be chaffinch or tit. And there's loads of different types of those.

So like art, I just think they look pretty , without a clue what they are.

Plenty of Whitethroats and Blackcaps around here.
Often get the phone out and stick the songs on you tube, full volume.
Not long and a bird is feet away competing against the song.
Great way of spotting very shy birds if you know their calls.
I do this all the time with Goldcrests. They come really close if you play the song. Wrens do this too...loud little buggers that they are.

I saw another Red Kite over Hunwick/Sunnbrow a couple mornings ago ...seeing more and more of them over this way and wondering if they are migrating from the Derwent/ Tyne Valley areas where persecution is rife, apparently:(

I do this all the time with Goldcrests. They come really close if you play the song. Wrens do this too...loud little buggers that they are.

I saw another Red Kite over Hunwick/Sunnbrow a couple mornings ago ...seeing more and more of them over this way and wondering if they are migrating from the Derwent/ Tyne Valley areas where persecution is rife, apparently:(

Had a few Goldcrests in the garden this Morning. They were in and out of Yew trees.
Always hear their distinctive calls.
Wrens are loud for their size as you say.

Bloody young Starlings at present on the lawn, noisy things with the parents running around feeding them. Incredible numbers of Blackbirds this year.
We have a Mistle Thrush nesting close by, seen it chase off the Sparrow hawk twice now.
More Buzzards than Red Kites in this spot but down the M40 corridor there are loads.

This dry weather is making it tough on a few species feeding young.
Going through bags of suet pellets daily for the Blackbirds and Robins, almost on the lawn waiting.
14 Blackbirds at one time the record, incredible.

Currently sat in the garden with a cuppa listening to the bird songs. A Magpie flew in searching for worms in the grass, then a young Magpie flew in begging the parent for food. First time ever that i've seen a young Magpie, very dull plumage

Back