Spotify going up

Think we pay $14.99 for two accounts. It’s probably the last subscription I’d let go, I use it every day.

I’ve never noticed any sound quality issues myself - people must have a better ears than me. Through phone / portable / car speakers can you even tell? Sounds fine through my hifi at home. Maybe it’s a headphone thing.

The bairns fuck my stuff up.

I mean, I only let them listen to good stuff, but Ian Prowse will be wondering why his royalty cheque is so maffis the way my daughter is hammering his stuff. Probably bought him a new yacht.
Count yersel lucky, my daughter wants let it go or the fireman Sam theme on repeat. She even shouts at Alexa to put it on.

Tidal today have merged their hifi and hifi plus plans and kept the price at hifi sub level. So MQA, Atmos 24bit flac etc. I pay 18 for the family plan 6 users and it's well worth it if you have a decentish audio setup. I mostly play mine through my AV amp through the tidal TV app and it sounds good. 360 reality audio is a bit of a gimmick though.
Thanks for that, just been on the tidal website and can see what they've done. Quite a move that. I see they have links for importing play lists too, don't know if that's direct from say Spotify into Tidal or via a third party app. Can see them attracting a lot of new business at those prices and given the high quality of the files. Been on Spotify since it started so got a huge amount of stuff on there.

I am going to do the free trial and see how it sounds over a good sample of material + hopefully try some imports too.

My set up is budget by audiophile standards, probably about £3k. Be running this via a Cambridge audio CXN V2 Network Streamer which has tidal built in, Cambridge cxa amp and bi-wired Q Acoustic Concept 20 Speakers. Even though the streamer cost a grand when it came out and has tidal, roon, deezer, Spotify etc all built in it still won't be able to play those massive hi resolution MQA files direct but flac and all the others are fine. I'm guessing there is a quite limited number of MQA material on there and 'lower' res files of the same tracks will likely be available too.

I'm guessing there is a quite limited number of MQA material on there and 'lower' res files of the same tracks will likely be available too.
I think MQA might be phased out over time. Definitely try it tho. My setup is no where near what you have, Denon a/v receiver paired with some Q acoustic 3050s 5.1 system. Music is via arc from my Sony Google TV. Sounds good enough for me.
I think MQA might be phased out over time. Definitely try it tho. My setup is no where near what you have, Denon a/v receiver paired with some Q acoustic 3050s 5.1 system. Music is via arc from my Sony Google TV. Sounds good enough for me.
Cannot edit post. One other reason I use tidal is due to its integration with Plex. It'll reference music/soundtracks if watching a show or movie, which is a nice feature

Last edited:
It should sound absolutely superb in all fairness the file source being especially important matched by excellent gear, which you have.

I still find my self digging cds out when I want to listen to some crystal clear quality, some files on Spotify are good but most just aren't anywhere near. Tidal sounds like it should mostly be an improvement.

I think serious audiophiles have some sort of illness (as well as very deep pockets), lunatics re-wiring houses etc to have independent supply direct to audio equipment with operating room standard wall sockets n wotnot. Insane. I suppose a couple of grand on a sparky is nowt if you're spending hundreds of thousands on kit like.

Edit yes that sounds like a great feature for a movie

Last edited:
It should sound absolutely superb in all fairness the file source being especially important matched by excellent gear, which you have.

I still find my self digging cds out when I want to listen to some crystal clear quality, some files on Spotify are good but most just aren't anywhere near. Tidal sounds like it should mostly be an improvement.

I think serious audiophiles have some sort of illness (as well as very deep pockets), lunatics re-wiring houses etc to have independent supply direct to audio equipment with operating room standard wall sockets n wotnot. Insane. I suppose a couple of grand on a sparky is nowt if you're spending hundreds of thousands on kit like.

Edit yes that sounds like a great feature for a movie

Quite glad I don’t have that illness, but I do understand it. My ears are thankfully not that good.

I listen through a Marantz 2275 and a pair of Dynaco A25 - nowt flash but decent old kit that looks good too. Makes everything sound like butter which I quite like.

ad free
macro tracking
meal and workout plans
it says barcode scanning so i guess this has been taken off the normal one, because it definitely used to be on there

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal
Aye, barcode scanning definitely only on the pro version now. Only know because I was telling someone how good the app was for a free app, and how you just scan the food in etc. They downloaded it and it asked them to pay for that part. So it seems like, because I had it when it was part of the free offering, they've let me keep it and it's only new people who have to pay, which makes a refreshing change tbh

I was about to renew Apple Music after 6 months free but checked Spotify before I did. Costs me about £1.90 over here.

Similar to myfitnesspal. Year pro subscription for 129 turkish lira, or about £3.50. No need for a VPN with that though.

I tried to take out a Spotify sub whilst in India but said my card/payment method did not match the country. How do you get around that?

Back