Spending £50 notes in the north east.

SPUFF

Striker
Nightmare. Like some form of foreign currency or youre looked at like a conman. Self serves have just banned them as have shell garages.

Elsewhere in country its treat no different to a £20 ffs.

Was recently in Stockholm and could hardly find a shop that would take any form of currency, everything was cashless, much more prevalent than up here......was cracking once you got used to it, ended up bringing plenty of cash back like

When we went on holiday I got a €500 note when I changed my money. A lot of us went out for a meal and the bill came to over €500. When everyone put their money in the middle I put the note in and took out my change. The bar took it with no questions. Imagine doing that here, places are bad enough with something 1/10 the size.

Hopefully the new £50 note will ease people into accepting it as they’re harder to forge

Look at me, look at me, i've got £50 notes, pathetic. You'll be complaining your Versace wallet is too small for them next...

This is the real question here. Do you prefer notes of varying sizes or uniform notes like the Euros?

£50 notes are far too large.

Someone gave one of my volunteers a £50 at our collection at The Etihad on Saturday
I can't understand why anyone would carry £50 notes. Not many places accept them and the amount of change you might get would pull your trousers down

That's bullshit.

Work allover n bars etc take them no bother.

Tell you what is mental like, working in english capitol of scotland (corby) staff had to learn about 30 jock notes in circulation.
Look at me, look at me, i've got £50 notes, pathetic. You'll be complaining your Versace wallet is too small for them next...

Hate carrying shrapnel like fivers;)

Last edited:
The other week, a woman in front of me in Iceland paid for her groceries with one. Think it was the first time ive actually seen the current version of one.

Personally think theyre a bit pointless as if you're spending a large sum of money, wouldnt you just use a card?

Mike Ashley has no trouble spending them it would seem, didn’t he have a pocket full when he went on that Sports Direct factory tour where his employees were working minimum wage on zero hour contracts

Work allover n bars etc take them no bother.

Tell you what is mental like, working in english capitol of scotland (corby) staff had to learn about 30 jock notes in circulation.

Hate carrying shrapnel like fivers;)

Roundabout city. I worked with a few lads from Corby. Always felt a bit odd hearing so many Scottish accents in a town in the centre of England.

I cannot remember ever having one, what scenarios have there been to end up with one in your possession, it’s definitely not normal day to day living as cash machines don’t have them as far as I understand.

Cashpoints tend to only give you fifties here and make up anything less with tens and twenties. It's a pain in the arse, nobody ever has change, I often have to go to the supermarket to buy something, anything, before going to my local.

Nightmare. Like some form of foreign currency or youre looked at like a conman. Self serves have just banned them as have shell garages.

Elsewhere in country its treat no different to a £20 ffs.

When I get my Sterling at the bank for my NE trips I have long learned to ask for mixed notes. That was after a specific situation years ago when I went into a shop in Durham and my money was declined.

On another note, you have too many different coins in England. The first couple of days when back over I always find it charming but that soon ends after a couple days when your pocket reaches the floor.

Cashpoints tend to only give you fifties here and make up anything less with tens and twenties. It's a pain in the arse, nobody ever has change, I often have to go to the supermarket to buy something, anything, before going to my local.

Tbh just normally when taking cash for a job. Say £500 banks must be ordered to dish em out.

Back