Speakman and other job failures comparison

Football is a strange old business where failure is a constant that is rewarded in particular with managers. The current model at a lot of clubs now has one of the main roles of a manager taken away from them with a DOF now, which also rewards failure. Are there any other jobs out there none football related that have the same way of rewarding failure and also I want to put a list of job type failures that are up there with Soeakmans.

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a surgeon doing a leg amputation it would be bad,,,possible sackable offence. Then doing it again and again. Do posters have any other such examples of failures in other forms of employment that would not be tolerated as they are in football.
Did you wake up with this in your head or have you been on night shift in the psilocybin factory??!!
He earns more than nurses as well. Several nurses
Mmmmm… several nurses

Interesting interview from July 2023. I was able to access it free of charge, for some reason. Hopefully the link will work for you too but there's no way of testing that out prior to posting.

His observations on 'the model' & the value of experience etc. are of note.

Last edited:
Football is a strange old business where failure is a constant that is rewarded in particular with managers. The current model at a lot of clubs now has one of the main roles of a manager taken away from them with a DOF now, which also rewards failure. Are there any other jobs out there none football related that have the same way of rewarding failure and also I want to put a list of job type failures that are up there with Soeakmans.

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a surgeon doing a leg amputation it would be bad,,,possible sackable offence. Then doing it again and again. Do posters have any other such examples of failures in other forms of employment that would not be tolerated as they are in football
Strange choice. If you are a DoF in charge of player recruitment, you are more like a music producer or book publisher. You're going to do your research on hundreds of artists/authors, pick the ones that you think have potential and that will sign with you compared to a bigger label and for every one that hits nine will fail.

Oh not this shit again ! 15 point season blah blah. I’ve seen them all. The opportunity provided after last season was simply dismantled and we are now a club drifting in ALL areas. What we have seen of late and the utter inertia in addressing it is shocking
"!He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch", is what you said. Now its been pointed out you're talking rubbish, you get arsey. 🤣

"!He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch", is what you said. Now its been pointed out you're talking rubbish, you get arsey. 🤣
Who’s pointed out that it’s rubbish ? You like him fair do’s. His MO is f***ing the club up imo
Can you remember a worse time at the club away from the football ?

"!He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch", is what you said. Now it’s been pointed out you're talking rubbish, you get arsey. 🤣
Someone said earlier that if any of the players signed this season play any part next season we will get relegated. Genuinely can’t decide which statement is more mental out of the two there’s so much wrong with both

The last 3 transfer windows have been a shambles, 4 strikers who would struggle in league 2, the Beale fiasco, decimating the squad experience , ignoring what Mowbary had asked for before he was sacked for speaking out. And for those who say he might have limited funds, well he has spunked the Stewart money up the wall bringing in quantity over quality, just look at the January window, Hjelde and Styles ffs.
These two are hopeless mind. Totally hopeless!!

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a surgeon doing a leg amputation it would be bad,,,possible sackable offence. Then doing it again and again. Do posters have any other such examples of failures in other forms of employment that would not be tolerated as they are in football.
He's works for KLD. He decides if he's a failure or not. Maybe he's doing exactly what KLD wants.

He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch hiding behind his mantra of ‘a plan’
You think getting promoted, finishing 6th and mid table in the Champ is worse than back to back relegations and four years in L1?

And what’s off the pitch got to do with “the Sporting Director”
Eh your arguing with me man I was just having a bit crack
He literally comes here to argue and be a Pratt. He’s the biggest WUM on here yet thinks he’s not here to argue. Funniest thing I’ve read for a while 😂😂

Speakman isn’t a manager or a DOF and how has he been rewarded for “failure”

There are quite a few on here who don't like Speakman and have little or no regard for the part he has played in moving the club forward.
I have no argument with those who see: appointing Beale, signing too many inexperienced and (as yet) ineffective players, and failing to bring in a striker who is up to the job as being poor decisions.
But that has to be balanced against what has gone well. For example promotion after 4 seasons in L1, fantastic football and a play off place last season underpinned by very good recruitment to get us to that position.
We have gone backwards this season. The reasons for this decline are obvious and could have been avoided. However if we can see it,so can he. He might not hold his hands up publicly and admit to getting it wrong but he does need to address the issues by recruiting an experienced and credible coach and allowing him to have a major input into player and coachingrecruitment and retention.

You think getting promoted, finishing 6th and mid table in the Champ is worse than back to back relegations and four years in L1?

And what’s off the pitch got to do with “the Sporting Director”

He literally comes here to argue and be a Pratt. He’s the biggest WUM on here yet thinks he’s not here to argue. Funniest thing I’ve read for a while 😂😂
Wow, this from you, your lack of self awareness is staggering, you and him are by far and away the most argumentative posters on here and that's saying something.If you need the likes of Waltzer boy to agree with then God help you :lol:

Wow, this from you, your lack of self awareness is staggering, you and him are by far and away the most argumentative posters on here and that's saying something.If you need the likes of Waltzer boy to agree with then God help you :lol:
Nah. You are far more argumentative, active and generally just miserable and negative than any one else I’ve encountered on here.

Once again didn’t say that I said maybe other people can raise their game now Clarke’s injured and maybe help the strikers score now we haven’t got someone playing inverted , but he’s continued to do so and play same way, we have been unlucky with injuries it’s not just about Clarke that just happens to come at the worst possible time with a load of other players missing , Styles hasn’t played once in the position he plays for Hungary , you wanna start again like ? All you do is twist peoples words to try win arguments man its pathetic are you enjoying us failing ? You seem to be thriving in it
First point is spot on, as often said by Mowbray, "We'll find a way". Unfortunately neither Beale nor Dodds are even close to being in his class as a gaffer and they failed to do so. What should also come as no surprise is that injuries have been catastrophic. I spent a little time this season matching injuries around the division to the form of teams having four or more players missing and guess what, their form tended to fall off a cliff. Regarding Styles, as you say who knows, he's played everywhere but in the few games he's featured.

@dangermows runs him close. :lol:

Last edited:

Back