Speakman and other job failures comparison

Football is a strange old business where failure is a constant that is rewarded in particular with managers. The current model at a lot of clubs now has one of the main roles of a manager taken away from them with a DOF now, which also rewards failure. Are there any other jobs out there none football related that have the same way of rewarding failure and also I want to put a list of job type failures that are up there with Soeakmans.

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a surgeon doing a leg amputation it would be bad,,,possible sackable offence. Then doing it again and again. Do posters have any other such examples of failures in other forms of employment that would not be tolerated as they are in football.

Seens you mentioned health care professionals. I went to a doctor about a wart on me dick. I got it out, he looked then slapped his 14 incher on the desk and said look at that. I looked and said what's wrong with it ,he said " nowt, its f***ing class innit".

What remains a complete mystery is the parameters of Speakman’s role. If he’s given complete freedom to use the transfer budget as he sees fit then I’d say he’s on borrowed time.

If, however, he’s told you can’t spend money on anyone over the age of 24, can’t spend more than £2.5m on any individual player and can’t be flexible on a very restrictive wage cap then maybe the spotlight should be pointed elsewhere.

I've been as critical of Speakman , Harvey and Kyril as much as any but its not lost on me that I cant remember a season in my 51 years where we have had such poor transfer windows, been so poor off the field with PR etc, had such an injury crisis, had such poor strikers respective to the league we are in and yet sitting 12th in the league with 8 games to go.

In any other season even remotely similar, certainly in the top 2 leagues, we would be bottom of the league as thats generally how Sunderland do bad seasons.

I know this is not a very ambitious post but given how bad literally everything has been I'll be happy if we get to the end not relegated.

I'm asking what makes you think he's an egotistical wanker?
He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch hiding behind his mantra of ‘a plan’ Never once has he admitted that his policy has not worked the way he wanted. No accountability for some appalling player decisions. He’s using our club for his experiment to prove he’s right with his approach. Have you ever heard him being contrite ? That’s where his ego comes in.
You like him ? You think he’s done well ?

I'm not his biggest fan but I would imagine a job with a target that involved getting promotion from league one and then promotion from the championship in around 5 years all while spending only what we earn won't be seen as a failure after 3 years.

Definitely not the same as a surgeon accidentally cutting off someone's leg.

Back