Speakman and other job failures comparison

Last edited:
There are quite a few on here who don't like Speakman and have little or no regard for the part he has played in moving the club forward.
I have no argument with those who see: appointing Beale, signing too many inexperienced and (as yet) ineffective players, and failing to bring in a striker who is up to the job as being poor decisions.
But that has to be balanced against what has gone well. For example promotion after 4 seasons in L1, fantastic football and a play off place last season underpinned by very good recruitment to get us to that position.
We have gone backwards this season. The reasons for this decline are obvious and could have been avoided. However if we can see it,so can he. He might not hold his hands up publicly and admit to getting it wrong but he does need to address the issues by recruiting an experienced and credible coach and allowing him to have a major input into player and coachingrecruitment and retention.
Far too sensible for this place that post mate. Someone will be along shortly to tell you he's never done anything right at SAFC and it's bemusing as to how he's still employed. Don't forget about his ego either that really does get under some peoples skin :lol:

Football is a strange old business where failure is a constant that is rewarded in particular with managers. The current model at a lot of clubs now has one of the main roles of a manager taken away from them with a DOF now, which also rewards failure. Are there any other jobs out there none football related that have the same way of rewarding failure and also I want to put a list of job type failures that are up there with Soeakmans.

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a surgeon doing a leg amputation it would be bad,,,possible sackable offence. Then doing it again and again. Do posters have any other such examples of failures in other forms of employment that would not be tolerated as they are in football.
This can't be healthy for you mate
He’s presided over one of the worst periods both on and off the pitch hiding behind his mantra of ‘a plan’ Never once has he admitted that his policy has not worked the way he wanted. No accountability for some appalling player decisions. He’s using our club for his experiment to prove he’s right with his approach. Have you ever heard him being contrite ? That’s where his ego comes in.
You like him ? You think he’s done well ?
Maybe his plan initially was to try to compete financially with championship clubs?
It's hard to do that when we have a shit league one side worth fuck all, and Boro sell akpomb and rogers for over 20 mil, Bristol city sell Scott for over 20 mil, Norwich and swansea sell players worth over 20 mil, cov over 40 etc etc.

Maybe the plan was a scatter gun approach , make money on players so we can compete financially.
If that's the case we are in a fairly good position - rarely does a club spend more than it makes on transfers in the champ -

I do realise that most fans on here think cos we get 40k and have a billionaire in charge we should be spending more money than everyone else , but that's KLD , not KS.

The first plan and integration into the champ to compete with clubs who have many many more millions than us (when we came up) due to players worth far more has gone ok.

He may have taken us as far as he can, as his recent buys when spending a bit more seem to be absolutely shite (and im concerned we are just going to waste the jack Clarke money) but tbh, financially, he's presided over a successful period - this summer is huge - we can probably outspend most clubs (if we sell Clarke for over 20mil) and have lots of room in wages to turnover to do this in ffp.

That's the bigger picture imo.
Stability comes from learning from mistakes - everyone makes mistakes - if you got rid of everyone every time you had a few bad results then it's difficult to progress - as the new people coming in will undoubtedly have a bad few months at some point too.

Last edited:

Maybe his plan initially was to try to compete financially with championship clubs?
It's hard to do that when we have a shit league one side worth fuck all, and Boro sell akpomb and rogers for over 20 mil, Bristol city sell Scott for over 20 mil, Norwich and swansea sell players worth over 20 mil, cov over 40 etc etc.

Maybe the plan was a scatter gun approach , make money on players so we can compete financially.
If that's the case we are in a fairly good position - rarely does a club spend more than it makes on transfers in the champ -

I do realise that most fans on here think cos we get 40k and have a billionaire in charge we should be spending more money than everyone else , but that's KLD , not KS.

The first plan and integration into the champ to compete with clubs who have many many more millions than us (when we came up) due to players worth far more has gone ok.

He may have taken us as far as he can, as his recent buys when spending a bit more seem to be absolutely shite (and im concerned we are just going to waste the jack Clarke money) but tbh, financially, he's presided over a successful period - this summer is huge - we can probably outspend most clubs (if we sell Clarke for over 20mil) and have lots of room in wages to turnover to do this in ffp.

Stability comes from learning from mistakes - everyone makes mistakes - if you got rid of everyone every time you had a few bad results then it's difficult to progress - as the new people coming in will undoubtedly have a bad few months at some point too.
Brilliant post. People on here seem to be divided into 2 camps. Those who can't admit the club / owners / Speakman have got anything right at all and will argue with anyone that it's all negative and then those who defend the club no matter what without criticism. Doesn't seem to be an in-between, level headed group making posts like this. Nobody is saying we haven't made mistakes and that there isn't a lot to sort out off and on the field in the summer but over the last 3 years we have definitely made good progess in some areas with this seasonb being an obvious set back.

To the first point - I've said that numerous times. That isn't what i'm arguing here.

To the second - I've said outwardly that the recruitment this season has been very poor this season and obviously hasn't gone how we all wanted. The issue is you can think all of that and not want the owner or the DoF sacked because of it. There is a bigger picture. Like you say we probably won't agree on much of it but I'm not just looking at this season when it comes to my opinion on recruitment and ownership. Every single football club makes mistakes with recruitment, or sacking a manager at the wrong time or not signing a player when they should do. It doesn't mean any good work has been undone and they're not fit for their jobs.

Not sure I understand the question mate? Are you asking if any player signed since last summer would be in the squad next season?
Yep, thats exactly what I'm asking?

Football is a strange old business where failure is a constant that is rewarded in particular with managers. The current model at a lot of clubs now has one of the main roles of a manager taken away from them with a DOF now, which also rewards failure. Are there any other jobs out there none football related that have the same way of rewarding failure and also I want to put a list of job type failures that are up there with Soeakmans.

A trainee surgeon by the time he is competent, say 30, will have killed on average 10 patients. A little know stat, that isn't often mentioned.
Is it example. I’m guessing if you had a

Take a surgeon for example. I’m guessing if you had a
Surgeon by the time they are competent, say 30, have on average killed 10 patients

Yes, I imagine some of the players signed since last summer will be in the squad next season. If they weren't you would be looking at a 20+ player turnover which isn't going to happen.
Lets just say any that are will not be regulars...And your right about a turnover, but I think !5+ are needed.

Speakman was fuck all before he came to the club, and will be no different when he leaves. Which I hope is soon , and definitely before next window. Same with his scouting team.

I think you are spouting a load of rubbish here mind. Agreed we were initially trying to stabilise the club, but anyone with the slightest knowledge on football can see what our team requires,, ,and on top of that what we require of the pitch stadium wise and then the BCB debacle etc, all of which you have ommited to make your point. What is your point by the way.

I think you are spouting a load of rubbish here mind. Agreed we were initially trying to stabilise the club, but anyone with the slightest knowledge on football can see what our team requires,, ,and on top of that what we require of the pitch stadium wise and then the BCB debacle etc, all of which you have ommited to make your point. What is your point by the way.
It's a thread about speakman and you're talking about the bcb and off the pitch stuff.
Give it a rest mate

Edit - I've just checked - it's a thread you started about KS yourself !
You don't seem to know what you're complaining about

Last edited:
I’m not complaining, debating.
But you're all over the place mate
You start a comedy thread on speakman talking about him being similar to a surgein amputating legs and stuff and then talk about the bcb and stuff off the pitch as if that's a failure of his.
You don't seem to understand or know what you're going on about

Last edited:
But you're all over the place mate
You start a comedy thread on speakman talking about him being similar to a surgein amputating legs and stuff and then talk about the bcb and stuff off the pitch as if that's a failure of his.
You don't seem to understand or know what you're going on about
Perhaps like attracts like

Back