Spanish police raid Catalan Regional Government buildings to stop an Independence referendum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daft situation between two sides hell-bent to stick to their guns, will not end well...I blame them in Madrid a lot more than those in Barcelona

Isn't this referendum constitutionally illegal and prohibited via multiple court orders?
Isn't the right to self-determination enshrined in various international conventions that have been signed and ratified by Madrid?

Looks like the Spanish PM doesn't think the UK is a democratic state:

<< Mr Rajoy said the regional government had been warned that they were destroying Spain's national sovereignty. "There's no democratic state in the world that would accept what these people are planning," he said. >>

Last edited:
I got a Spanish mate who was fuming after the Ramblas attack when everyone was out to show support and the Catalan separatists were tearing up any banners inferring Spain was united behind the attacks.

Isn't the right to self-determination enshrined in various international conventions that have been signed and ratified by Madrid?

Looks like the Spanish PM doesn't think the UK is a democratic state:

<< Mr Rajoy said the regional government had been warned that they were destroying Spain's national sovereignty. "There's no democratic state in the world that would accept what these people are planning," he said. >>

So the democratic nations response is to stop them voting and deny them their democratic voice.

I got a Spanish mate who was fuming after the Ramblas attack when everyone was out to show support and the Catalan separatists were tearing up any banners inferring Spain was united behind the attacks.
I was in a hotel in Cabrills a couple of years ago and the barman was Catalonian. He would only speak English or Catalan. He was extremely anti-Spain. Basically blamed everything on Madrid and believes the Falange was still in charge. Odd chap.

Catalonia is responsible for something like a fifth of Spain's economy and clearly the richest region - by comparison Scotland is less than 10% of the UK. The impact would be massive.

Catalonia is responsible for something like a fifth of Spain's economy and clearly the richest region - by comparison Scotland is less than 10% of the UK. The impact would be massive.

It would. Allowing one region to become independent would also give others the green light as well (primarily the Basques, of course).

a) it's not the richest per capita, it's 4th behind Madrid, Basque and Navarre. It's just that it has 16% of Spain's population.

b) It also has about two fifths of the total debts owed by Spain's regional governments.

It would. Allowing one region to become independent would also give others the green light as well (primarily the Basques, of course).
It's a tricky one. In truth the only way forward is to allow a vote though (and perhaps with an agreement that there can't be another one for a fixed period except in certain circumstances). From what I have read it is unlikely that Catalans would vote to leave anyway, so why not put it to bed by letting them go ahead? If anything by digging their heels in the govt in Madrid is likely to make more people want to secede...a lesson in how not to handle democracy IMO.

Spain wants to impose rule over Gibraltar, where the residents have overwhelmingly expressed there wishes to remain British territory. Its hardly surprising that they would seek to deny a the right to self determination to a region that is already part of Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back