Southgate to Man Utd .....??!!??

Howard Wilkinson was always well in eith the F.A., that tells you their pedigree.

I never understood Mourinho as the replacement for 'boring, negative' Van Gaal.

They've basically jumped on the latest horse they have heard of.

Potter would face the same, "Who are you? You aren't very glamorous" as he did at Chelsea.

When Southgate took the England job he got a lot of praise for bringing in young players but now it looks like he just did that because he knew them from the U21s. T the same time there have been many managers of England with a more celebrated profile who he has out performed.
Better jumping on the latest horse than punching it 🐎🐎🐴

I understand why people get frustrated slightly. But they seem to forget how bad we were, with equally good sides (look at 2004)

There is also a weird obsession with playing as many attacking players as possible, we all know that doesn’t work.
We should know, but most people have amnesia.

One of the main reasons Southgate has had more comparative success has been his refusal to pick the best XI players and instead focus on building a cohesive team, off the pitch as well as on it.

Almost of all of his critics cite his failure to pick better players like Grealish, or Maddison, or whoever is the lastest attackin midfielder cause celebre - which is exactly what Capello, Hoddle, Erikson and McClaren all did - as "wasting" the best attacking talent we've had in a generation.

"Wasting" talent is not making tough decisions to build a team. See here everything they did.

The critisicm is baffling.

When you have extraordinary talents like Foden, Saka, Kane and Bellingham as your front four, but a middling at best defence...

His tactics are pretty much what nearly all elite managers would do. Give your stars a solid platform, they don't need extra support, whereas the defence definitely does.

"Take the handbreak off". f***ing nonsense.

Last edited:
I don't think Southgate is Man Utd level, but the way some people go on about him is pathetic.

He gets no credit at all, absolutely everything is down to the players... Until the point of failure and then the blame gets levelled squarely at the manager.
I don't think Southgate is anything special but to try to make out a World Cup Semi and a Euro Final is no credit to Southgate shows what some SMBers know about football.

Saves people admitting they could possibly be wrong

All you have to do is pick your best attacking players and you win tournaments iirc. Also worth noting this England squad is the best of all time, miles better than all the opposition squads. Or something.

And everything you do in every game up to the point of the game you lose goes out the window. It was lucky/down to the players/because the other team was crap.

Last edited:
Southgate has turned England around, no doubt about it, but with the talent at his disposal I'm sure many other managers could have done the. same. From expectations of getting to the last 8 of comps before he took over, the expectation is and should be, the final of any competition we enter. The pressure is on England to win this summer, though I think the loss to Italy in 2021 was our best chance of winning something, maybe a couple of other managers could have got us over the line in that game, Southgate seems to fall short when it gets to the critical stage. I think he should'.ve gone after that defeat in 2021, sacked or walked, he should certainly go if we fail to win the European Championships this summer. He has the best bunch of players any England manager has ever had, 20 years in the making, our football transformed domestically, with the Premier League, lots of money, and the best facilities, no excuses now. Spain, France and Germany I doubt would offer their manager a new contract for losing in a final again, but wouldn't surprise me if the FA did and Southgate and his ego would accept it. Like I say, I think he should have went in 2021 and I think we might fall short yet again as a result of keeping him.

Nobody can deny he's done a good job, but he's definitely been in it too long.
What a stupid contradictory comment.
Southgate has turned England around, no doubt about it, but with the talent at his disposal I'm sure many other managers could have done the. same. From expectations of getting to the last 8 of comps before he took over, the expectation is and should be, the final of any competition we enter. The pressure is on England to win this summer, though I think the loss to Italy in 2021 was our best chance of winning something, maybe a couple of other managers could have got us over the line in that game, Southgate seems to fall short when it gets to the critical stage. I think he should'.ve gone after that defeat in 2021, sacked or walked, he should certainly go if we fail to win the European Championships this summer. He has the best bunch of players any England manager has ever had, 20 years in the making, our football transformed domestically, with the Premier League, lots of money, and the best facilities, no excuses now. Spain, France and Germany I doubt would offer their manager a new contract for losing in a final again, but wouldn't surprise me if the FA did and Southgate and his ego would accept it. Like I say, I think he should have went in 2021 and I think we might fall short yet again as a result of keeping him.
Not going to read this hateful abuse of paragraphs. f***ing eyesore. Fuck off.

Last edited:
We’ve just been humped home and away by a Halomless Hungary ffs. ATM in time there’s only losing to France or possibly an Messiless Argentina that shouldn’t be inviting questions.

Back