Southgate to Man Utd .....??!!??

According to BBC footie gossip Ratcliffe has made the world's worst manager, who bears a certain resemblance to a horse, his 1st choice to replace Ten Haag.

They quote the Daily Star. This has to be a wind up shurely.

If I were Ratcliffe I would sue them for defamation of character.

I would love it, if he managed them :lol:

I actually think the reverse. The stuff people come out with on England threads - the suggested teams, formations, all completely unbalanced in a desperate attempt to get six attacking midfielders onto the pitch…

It’s mad. It’s like nobody watched the Sven era or the infernal Lamapard-Gerrard merry-go round.

Sunderland fans wanting England to be Kevin Keegan's "entertainers". Forget about defence, just attack more. :lol:

There will be calls to drop Rice to get Cole Palmer in shortly.

I actually think the reverse. The stuff people come out with on England threads - the suggested teams, formations, all completely unbalanced in a desperate attempt to get six attacking midfielders onto the pitch…

It’s mad. It’s like nobody watched the Sven era or the infernal Lamapard-Gerrard merry-go round.
This.

Most of the people making these suggestions didn’t watch the Sven era.

Just self entitled young ‘ins.

Oh yes.
If only he'd adopted the tactics of Hoddle, Venables, Capello, Keegan etc...
There'd be a cabinet full of trophies by now.

England have won ONE trophy in history, yet Southgate gets pilloried - even though he's actually done better than all but one of his predecessors.
Hasn't he had and got the best bunch of players at his disposal for decades we should have put an ageing Croatia to the sword and again the italians in that final but we didn't why was that ? as long as I've got a hole in my arse we'll not win anything under Southgate he's too predictable if we do I'll run alang the cat and dog stairs bollock naked

Ratcliffe has supposedly agreed that his next DOF (Presumably Dan Ashworth) will choose the next manager. Everyone thought it would be Potter due to the Brighton connection but he would have spent 5 or 6 years working with Southgate when he was FA head of elite development so may well be something in this.

Football will be more boring than under Jose :lol:
Howard Wilkinson was always well in eith the F.A., that tells you their pedigree.

I never understood Mourinho as the replacement for 'boring, negative' Van Gaal.

They've basically jumped on the latest horse they have heard of.

Potter would face the same, "Who are you? You aren't very glamorous" as he did at Chelsea.

When Southgate took the England job he got a lot of praise for bringing in young players but now it looks like he just did that because he knew them from the U21s. T the same time there have been many managers of England with a more celebrated profile who he has out performed.

Don’t think that’s been true until now.

Would accept its true now.

The obvious counter is because we have a weak defence.

We were spoiled in the Eriksen era with a production line of outstanding centre halves. But we are a world away now.

And then there’s fact that international football is always more cautious. There aren’t many free flowing teams around. Most of the historic examples I can think of lost as well.

I think 90% of world class managers would look at our resources and focus on protecting the weak back four. Because that front four - Saka, Bellingham, Kane and Foden - just need a solid platform.

Gung-ho football woukd leave us unnecessarily exposed.

Do you think we can safely assume Foden will be part of our front 4?

The whole set up till now is geared to protecting our weakest link, Maguire. Instead of diminishing our attacking potential just for his sake, wouldn't it be better to eliminate the problem. (Maguire).

Why hasn't a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden been tried and tested against weaker teams?

In big games it's widely accepted that you have to be more cautious - but what happens if you are losing with 20 mins to go,? it would be better to have a well rehearsed plan B.

The abovementioned players are all disciplined and well able to carry out defensive duties.

England had an easy route to the final and I know they beat Germany, but that was the worst German side of all time. Whenever he plays a team that is half decent he bottles it.

If England had a decent manager they would had won the Euros 2020 and got to the final of the World Cup 2018.
Most nations have an easy route to the Final, very rarely do you play more than 2 powerhouse nations in a competition.

Hasn't he had and got the best bunch of players at his disposal for decades we should have put an ageing Croatia to the sword and again the italians in that final but we didn't why was that ? as long as I've got a hole in my arse we'll not win anything under Southgate he's too predictable if we do I'll run alang the cat and dog stairs bollock naked

The "ageing" Croatia team was 32 year old Luka Modric who's still playing at the top level now at 38, a 30 year old Ivan Rakitic who was still performing in La Liga and Europe until last season, I've Perisic, a 29 year old who played for Inter, Bayern and Spurs since and Mandzukic who at 31, was probably past his best but still a 1 in 3 striker in Serie A.

I'm sure there were older and slower defenders, but that's what our midfield was up against. Our midfield in that game (the best bunch of players available for decades) was Trippier, Alli, Lingard, Ashley Young and Henderson.

I'm not quite sure why people look at that and think it should have been a guaranteed England win. Yeah we had Kane, Sterling and Stones (both players that England fans wanted dropping), but at best it was fairly even in terms of quality.

I
The "ageing" Croatia team was 32 year old Luka Modric who's still playing at the top level now at 38, a 30 year old Ivan Rakitic who was still performing in La Liga and Europe until last season, I've Perisic, a 29 year old who played for Inter, Bayern and Spurs since and Mandzukic who at 31, was probably past his best but still a 1 in 3 striker in Serie A.

I'm sure there were older and slower defenders, but that's what our midfield was up against. Our midfield in that game (the best bunch of players available for decades) was Trippier, Alli, Lingard, Ashley Young and Henderson.

I'm not quite sure why people look at that and think it should have been a guaranteed England win. Yeah we had Kane, Sterling and Stones (both players that England fans wanted dropping), but at best it was fairly even in terms of quality.
I reckon he could be lined up to replace howe at the scum I for one would be ecstatic at that prospect wonder how many else on here would be ??

What a mediocre team we had - how times have changed.

Do you think we can safely assume Foden will be part of our front 4?

The whole set up till now is geared to protecting our weakest link, Maguire. Instead of diminishing our attacking potential just for his sake, wouldn't it be better to eliminate the problem. (Maguire).

Why hasn't a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden been tried and tested against weaker teams?

In big games it's widely accepted that you have to be more cautious - but what happens if you are losing with 20 mins to go,? it would be better to have a well rehearsed plan B.

The abovementioned players are all disciplined and well able to carry out defensive duties.

Foden played in both WC knockout games, as did Bellingham, Saka and Kane.

And he’s bang in form and has played almost all the qualifiers. So I have no idea, genuinely, why you would expect otherwise.

I would drop Maguire because I would like us to press a bit higher up the pitch. But nobody has made much of a case to be included in that role, it feels a little soon to throw Branthwaite in. And I certainly wouldn’t be changing the balance of the midfield.

Just going on recent outings, I think Southgate wants to test Alexander-Arnold in midfield, which is very progrsssive.

The myth of Southgate - a sort of Radio 5 606 level moan about us not winning - is completely belied by actual evidence. People seem to not follow his selections at all.

Last edited:

Back