Southgate - time to admit this place was wrong?

that England squad is the worst squad to be taken to a tournament in 40 year. Pathetically crap midfield. Time to introduce a rule where clubs need to field atleast 4 English players every game.
I agree. If a England want to improve we need to develop English players, not all and sundry for whom coming to the Premiership and other English leagues to play is merely a pay-day.

widely assumed to be a yes man who wouldn’t take tough decisions

- dropped Rooney, now retired
- dropped Hart (finally)
- dropped Wilshere
- dropped Cahill temporarily, instead looking at players from Leicester, Swansea and Burnley
- went to 3 at the back, and actually bothered to look at other options (like Walker in a 3)
- dropped Alli from the side when he was playing like a twat
- qualified easily, albeit from a piss poor group, with 7 wins and 2 draws from 9

Obviously we’re not gonna win the World Cup, we don’t have the players. But he’s done a much better job than most expected?
This place? WTF are you on about.. we don't all sing from the same hymn sheet

Surely this topic will be better suited for the end of the tournament. If England lose in the semi final or the final then it will give people all of the ammunition they need to say Southgate isn't up to it.

So far so good with a great squad and a very good draw. I still do have my reservations about this team coming from a goal down, but the obvious counter argument to that is the team is set up so it doesn't concede so it doesn't have to.

Surely this topic will be better suited for the end of the tournament. If England lose in the semi final or the final then it will give people all of the ammunition they need to say Southgate isn't up to it.

So far so good with a great squad and a very good draw. I still do have my reservations about this team coming from a goal down, but the obvious counter argument to that is the team is set up so it doesn't concede so it doesn't have to.

In fairness mate, regardless of whether we beat Denmark or not, I think it’s safe for people to say Southgate has done a good job.

He’s made two semi finals in two tournaments (you can make it three semi finals if you want to chuck the Nations League in I suppose).

He’s brought through a load of young players,
had us beat teams we should comfortably, and beat the big international teams in a knockout match (which everyone always slates us for).

He’s been the manager for 40% of our countries semi-final appearances, and won 67% of our Euros knockout victories.

Like…..he’s been a success, even if we lose to Denmark.

I think the argument stands up anyway. Hes done a great job but anyone can lose a game of fooball as top class sides such as France and Belgium have found out. Before the tournament I thought this team, with these players should get to a semi final and they have done that looking comfortable without conceding a goal.

In fairness mate, regardless of whether we beat Denmark or not, I think it’s safe for people to say Southgate has done a good job.

He’s made two semi finals in two tournaments (you can make it three semi finals if you want to chuck the Nations League in I suppose).

He’s brought through a load of young players,
had us beat teams we should comfortably, and beat the big international teams in a knockout match (which everyone always slates us for).

He’s been the manager for 40% of our countries semi-final appearances, and won 67% of our Euros knockout victories.

Like…..he’s been a success, even if we lose to Denmark.
Losing to Denmark at home with players on our subs bench that would get in Denmarks starting 11 would be considered as a good job to you?

He has done a good job up until now, no debate on that. Now is the business end of the tournament that really defines how good of a job he is doing.

I think you’re forgetting some things

Euro 2016 - lost 2-1 to Iceland in round of 16
World Cup 2014 - finished bottom of a group that included Costa Rica
Euro 2012 - lost to Italy in QFs
World Cup 2010 - lost 4-1 to Germany in round of 16
Euro 2008 - didn’t qualify

he’s taken us to two semi finals. From this

The whole country owes him an apology, nobody thought he was the right man for the job but he's took England from possibly the worst we've ever been to the two best tournament performances in my lifetime

Losing to Denmark at home with players on our subs bench that would get in Denmarks starting 11 would be considered as a good job to you?

He has done a good job up until now, no debate on that. Now is the business end of the tournament that really defines how good of a job he is doing.

It is possible we could lose, and he could deserve criticism if we do, but also still be doing a good job. Those two things can exist - a manager can make mistakes whilst still doing an overall good job.

When he took over, we hadn’t made a semi-final in 20 years, and he’s 2 for 2 semi-finals made.

Christ, the last Euros we got knocked out by Iceland, and the WC before that Costa Rica. To go from that to this, and *still* say he’s doing a bad job is quite the leap.
I think you’re forgetting some things

Euro 2016 - lost 2-1 to Iceland in round of 16
World Cup 2014 - finished bottom of a group that included Costa Rica
Euro 2012 - lost to Italy in QFs
World Cup 2010 - lost 4-1 to Germany in round of 16
Euro 2008 - didn’t qualify

he’s taken us to two semi finals. From this

That Italy game, in 2012, was a properly forgotten dreadful performance from England mind.

Stunk the place out for 120 mins and scraped to penalties then fucked them up too. Think I remember that our most frequent passing combination that game was Joe Hart to Andy Carroll, and Carroll only came on as a sub :lol::lol:

Last edited:
It is possible we could lose, and he could deserve criticism if we do, but also still be doing a good job. Those two things can exist - a manager can make mistakes whilst still doing an overall good job.

When he took over, we hadn’t made a semi-final in 20 years, and he’s 2 for 2 semi-finals made.

Christ, the last Euros we got knocked out by Iceland, and the WC before that Costa Rica. To go from that to this, and *still* say he’s doing a bad job is quite the leap.

That Italy game, in 2012, was a properly forgotten dreadful performance from England mind.

Stunk the place out for 120 mins and scraped to penalties then fucked them up too. Think I remember that our most frequent passing combination that game was Joe Hart to Andy Carroll, and Carroll only came on as a sub :lol::lol:
Just because we got beat by poorer teams previously that doesn't mean he's doing a good job by beating teams we should at the moment.

No matter what happens from here, he’s undoubtedly been successful. No other England manager has reached successive semi finals either.

Some people on this board very rightly pointed out that he was the ideal manager for the position we’re in and that his tactical set up was pragmatic rather than negative.

It’s good to see those people vindicated, as well as G Dog himself - some of our fans don’t have a f***ing clue about tactics etc and it’s been a pain having to talk them through why they can’t have a central midfield pairing if Grealish and Foden

Just because we got beat by poorer teams previously that doesn't mean he's doing a good job by beating teams we should at the moment.

:lol::lol:

We’ve got to two semi-finals in a row mate. We’d only ever got to three in our history before he took charge. How on earth people can think he’s doing a bad job is mind-blowing.

Back