Southgate - time to admit this place was wrong?

widely assumed to be a yes man who wouldn’t take tough decisions

- dropped Rooney, now retired
- dropped Hart (finally)
- dropped Wilshere
- dropped Cahill temporarily, instead looking at players from Leicester, Swansea and Burnley
- went to 3 at the back, and actually bothered to look at other options (like Walker in a 3)
- dropped Alli from the side when he was playing like a twat
- qualified easily, albeit from a piss poor group, with 7 wins and 2 draws from 9

Obviously we’re not gonna win the World Cup, we don’t have the players. But he’s done a much better job than most expected?

People have spent 18 months saying he is a yes man, and that he only picks certain players because of the FA demanding it (fuck knows why they'd do that).

The fact that he has completely proven this wrong means them people have to move on to slating him for other things. For example 'too many defenders'. He has picked 9, which when you consider we (effevtively) play with 5 defenders, is perfectly reasonable. And "He took too long to drop Hart", even though he kept him in for qualifiers and monitored to see if a downturn in form was temporary or permanent.

I don't think it is, not if you're going to play 5 defenders. I'd roughly expect 2 players for each position on the pitch, with the extra place being for a third choice keeper. 5 players to cover 3 centre back spaces would seem good enough so I'm not surprised at 9 overall
Far too defensive considering we have a pretty average and one dimensional Central Midfield.

Back