Southern Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I was trying to communicate was that the UK would be much better off if it had a written constitution. The royals are fine really, the Queen in particular - just there is too much scraping and bowing to them which encourages this division in society.
Much less stable countries than us have written constitutions.

At least history is on the school curriculum in Ireland. Do you know that Irish Indepedence isn't mentioned on the British schools curriculum. Now I know AA probably thinks Ireland is irrelevant in the scheme of things - but that was a very important event in the history of the British Empire. The first big crack in the 'precious' Union.;)

Is it not? I remember covering it for my GCSEs.

It's on BBC Bitesize... The partitioning of Ireland - CCEA - Revision 1 - GCSE History - BBC Bitesize

In Ireland they actively teach Anglophobia in their schools under the guise of history, that isn’t to say some of the teachings are not accurate from a historical sense but the differential isn’t made in the teachings, so it fosters genuine Anglophobia. Until quite recently this didn’t manifest outwardly as Irish society didn’t entertain Anglophobia in its discourse so it was left to neo-IRA cosplayers and random nutjobs, since Brexit however it has entered the fore and is creeping into legitimate debate. Better?
And you know this based on what?They hardly taught us our own history in school here and what kind of educators teach children to hate? Give your head a shake you're talking shite

I had a look at that - it looks like it was produced for 5 year olds - a fairy story.

I'm not saying it's a good write up, it's just generic revision notes, but it's evidence that schools cover it. My GCSE coursework in the 00s was on Irish history so it would surprise me if it's not covered now.
I've checked the Dept of Education paper on GCSE History which states 40% of the course should be based on British history which includes the UK nations and Ireland in context, alongside Europe and wider world.

It’s a tedious well trodden thread that pops up far too regularly. There may well be more positive than negative comments this time but that’s not always the case.

OP just being a wum to draw out the usual knuckle draggers

TBF there's some awful attitudes from the usual suspects from both sides.

I only ever see comments from a few posters on these bi-weekly Irish/N Irish threads, they never seem to post on anything else. Weird

The Free State.

And itll mainly be people frim Northern Ireland well have a problem with post Brexit.
The Republic of Ireland. Nobody has used The Irish Free State since 1937.:lol:

The 26 counties in Leinster, Munster, Connaught and the 3 from Ulster (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan) make up the Republic of Ireland or Éire.
The remaining 6 counties in Ulster make up Northern Ireland.
All 32 counties on the island make up Ireland.

The 26 counties in Leinster, Munster, Connaught and the 3 from Ulster (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan) make up the Republic of Ireland or Éire.
It is colloquially known as the free state, especially by catholics from the north.

The second biggest island in the British Isles iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back