Southern Ireland

It is colloquially known as the free state, especially by catholics from the north.
I can remember drinking in a bar in Belfast and a staunch Republican kept on referring to us (well me anyway) as a Free Stater. Some of them believe we sold out by agreeing to the Treaty. Some of them believe that Sinn Fein have sold out signing the Good Friday Agreement.

The second biggest island in the British Isles iirc.
Yep and it was Romans that called it the British Isles. It's mainly used now by people who like to be political. People prefer to call them the UK and Ireland.

Last edited:

I can remember drinking in a bar in Belfast and a staunch Republican kept on referring to us (well me anyway) as a Free Stater. Some of them believe we sold out by agreeing to the Treaty. Some of them believe that Sinn Fein have sold out signing the Good Friday Agreement.

Yep and it was Romans that called it the British Isles. It's mainly used now by people who like to be political. People prefer to call them the UK and Ireland.

THE R:cool:MANS

Spent last weekend in Cork. Fantastic place, really friendly and not that expensive- well compared to expectations anyway.
Patrick Street is canny.
Some great pubs in Cork.
The accent can be difficult to get to grips with at first.

The women are easier to understand than the blokes.
The blokes talk so fast.
I was in a taxi in Cork, and could hardly understand a word the taxi driver was saying.

A fella was trying to strike up conversation with me in a pub. I only know this because the people I was with were nudging me saying "he's saying are you alright". I genuinely thought the bloke was singing a song to himself.

everything boils down to religion over there , will be a small percentage who will always hate the english and a relatively size percentage who simply dislike us

Watching the Open there and the support for Shane Lowry from the Northern Ireland crowd is immense.

How is it in Sport Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland get on so well, even the rugby its the same bloody team, but in politics its all over the shop?

Watching the Open there and the support for Shane Lowry from the Northern Ireland crowd is immense.

How is it in Sport Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland get on so well, even the rugby its the same bloody team, but in politics its all over the shop?
Sport can can unite all people.

Back